1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Need advice on vehicle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by snapthecat, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

I have a small springtime farm related business, lasting 4 or 5 weeks. I am using a Chevy Silverado 4x4 1500 to do the hauling. The 4x4 feature comes in handy going into muddy fields, etc. Distance round trip is 144 miles, Truck gets 16 miles per gallon. Cost for gas alone is $33.00 per trip. The truck is a 2000 model and is paid for. I makd 3 trips per week. What alternative would you suggest considering gas consumption primarily? I have no other use for the vehicle the rest of the year other than taking off the trash.

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If it's paid for, I wouldn't do anything.

Hauxfan!

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just use it when you need to and let it sit the rest of the time. You can buy a lot of gas for wht it would cost to trade for another vehicle with somewhat better gas milage.

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Try a K&N air filter and see if you get better fuel millage. I have an 08 Dodge 4.7l and get above average fuel mileage The sticker says 17 on the highway and the computer and calculator says 23.8. I haven't put corn through it and don't see the reason to. The only way to find out is to spend the $50.00 for the filter and $10.00 for the recharge kit ( it's a lifetime filter) and find out for yourself if it helps. Sure beats buying a new truck for 144 round trip.

See above.

JMHO
    Jerbear

5. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Here are some other people that have one.

Jerbear

6. hairy

hairy TS Member

Jerbear, the K&N airfilters might be good, but that link you posted sure has some K&N sales bullshit on it. Like the statement below....total BS.

I think we need to have Mythbusters do a story on these things.

April 24, 2008
    I RECENTLY PURCHASED AND AM THE PROUD OWNER OF A 1998 FORD EXPLORER. I BOUGHT THE VEHICLE WITH 130,000 MILES ON IT. I DROVE IT HOME AND IT WAS GETTING 15MPG. I TUNED IT UP AND IT WAS STILL ONLY GETTING 17MPG. A WEEK LATER I PURCHASED A K&N AIR FILTER FOR IT, AND NOW I'M GETTING 26MPG IN THE CITY. FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE MECHANICS THESE ARE GAS GUZZLING SUV'S THAT RATE 14MG CITY AND 19MPG HIGHWAY, AT ONE TIME I CALCULATED MY TRUCK GETTING JUST SHY OF 30MPG HIGHWAY. I LOVE MY AIR FILTER, IT LETS THE ENGINE BREATHE SOOO MUCH EASIER. THANKS K&N

JAMES CAMPBRILL
    CLAYTON, OHIO

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I just went and Googled the K&N air filters, and some people say to stay away from it since it allows more dirt into your engine.

We are talking people who have the equipment to measure the dirt in the oil, so I'd think they would know what they are talking about.

They all say it sounds good when you step on it, but if it sounds that great, it isn't filtering as well.........IMHO........

Check out the link at the top of the page....

Hauxfan!

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

I'm not holding a gun to this guy's head, I have had good luck with mine, but it's the air box OEM replacement one. The dealership sells the same filter/kit in a mopar number. I don't jump on a 4.7l,theres no point. Set cruise control @ 69mph and I'm good to go.

I'm looking for millage. Next is a chip, if it will help.

Jerbear

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

IF KNs could increase Ford POS ranger exsplorer into the 20mpg range they would have prime time adds and these filters could sell for hundreds of dollars. SNAPTHECAT For what you use it for you will never make up the difference with any new vehicle. get in sit down shut and drive!!!!!

10. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I have a 1995 Ford Ranger 3L V-6 with a K&N Filtercharger air filter. If I drive 65 mph, I get 21 mpg. I've had the filter since the truck was new. I also have 245000 miles on my truck, and it's still going strong. I live in central California farm country with some of the worst bugs and dust imaginable.

I use Castrol full synthetic oil and service the filter every time I change the oil(7500 miles). I like K&N products. I also use them on my 60's vintage British motorcycles.

11. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

Keep the tires inflated. Drive like there is an egg between the pedals and your foot. Do not carry anything in the vehicle you don't normally use. K&N filters kinda work. They let more air in. Unfortunately, they let more silicone in too. If overoiled they also eat your Mass Flow Sensor. Do a search on K&N. The diesel guys don't care much for them. If you feel the need to upgarde, try a BHAF. Big Honkin' Air Filter Its a NAPA 2790. It cost $50-60. It is about the size of two flats of shells stacked. It is a big truck filter with a 4" outlet. You just remove your stock airbox and plumbing and fashion an inlet using 4" PVC and hose clamps. I have a fairly turned up cummins and it flows enough air for it. They seem to last about 50K. I agree with 1911 if there were a magic pill the OEM's would use it.

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I would keep the truck you have. You just cannot beat a Chevy truck! I wouldn't waste my money on a K&N filter, I haven't seen anything in the real world to substatiate their inflated claims.

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the benefits of something that lets more air into the engine will only be realized if that extra air can get out. Most exhaust systems are designed to flow the amount of air the engine is capable of pumping in stock form (and sometimes they can't even do that). Opening up the intake or exhaust doesn't do much unless you also open up the other.

Ed

14. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Especially if you're taking it on a farm, don't put a K&N on it, they won't catch the "talcum powder" dust created on a farm.

Air In and out, new vehicles are pretty hard to improve on, definitely at the RPM's that you refer to when you care about mileage. Regarding mileage, the newer injected vehicles biggest fault is the amount of fuel they burn while idling. Limit that and you will see a difference. Just don't load them when cold.

One of K&N's early advertisements said: "The dirtier it gets the better it cleans", Well DUH!!!

15. laura!

laura! Member

If it works with what you haul, you may want to put on a cap. It can improve gas mileage a little with better aerodynamics

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tom, I see him about every week for dinner. Same old Quattle, except he's finally abandoning the spaghetti guns for a K-80 Trap Special top single combo.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.