1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Need advice about Paypal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I buy and sell stuff on the Net. I have used Paypal to buy stuff once. A fellow wants to buy a gun and pay me via Paypal.

For those who use this, what are the pros and cons? What does it cost me, the buyer, and what about their anti gun stand? I have heard that they close accounts and tie up funds if they find guns related activity.

This from an old country boy who paid cash most of my life and never had or needed a credit card until I turned 40 or so. My credit score is slightly over 800, so I qualify for about any thing requiring good credit.

Ribbing is allowed, even encouraged, but a couple of straight answers would be helpful. :^)

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

If a buyer uses a credit card or Paypal for that matter and decides that he wants to dispute the charges the seller almost always loses. As a buyer it's great protection but as a seller your out on a limb. I would contact Paypal and see what their policy is on disputed charges.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Paypal is a great tool. Don't use it to sell guns or related items. You will be found out and it will be costly. Another thing you need to know. If you are not verfied with 100 rating they wiill hold your funds until seller oks payment ( over $100) As a seller on Ebay with 100% positive feedback, I could not do without Paypal but it is a buyers protection service basically. And it is costly to sellers.

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

I have tried to use it about 3 or 4 times. Every time I get to the credit card part it will not work. Trevor Dawe.

5. WGB

WGB Member

I use it a little to both buy and sell. Works perfect every time. For a money transfer it's tough to beat. They are not involved in the product you are buying or selling, just the money trade.

6. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

I signed up for Paypal pretty much right when they started up. It was great at the beginning (first couple years). Since then, every time I turn around I'm getting some email from them about a change in usage policy that adds more protection for them and takes more from me. I have always kept a cash balance and used that for purchases - I just never felt comfortable giving them my bank account info (which they really really want so they can tap into it).

The last straw came a few weeks ago. I have a couple hundred dollar balance there. I tried to Paypal someone $10. I was rejected. I go through the "customer service" email chain, asking why I can't spend my own money. Apparently, in one of the fifty thousand "change of service" emails they sent to me over the years, it says if you are below a certain dollar balance, you have to be a "verified" account to spend money. "Verified" meaning they want my checking account number.

So I say to their support person, "You have REAL money of mine, you're earning interest on it, it's my money, and you won't let me spend it?" Answer: "That's right".

So I says "Why is that?" Answer: "To prevent fraud and someone not being who they say they are". WTF?

My answer back: "I've been a member since the company started, you know my name and address and email address and phone number. You have my money - cash money, how could that possibly be a risk?" Never mind that it was a lousy ten bucks!

Answer: "It is our policy. We are sorry you do not like it. Call this number". I haven't called yet, but I'll be asking for my balance and closing it out.

One final thing - if you do have a Paypal account, you will be susceptible to all of the phishing emails and websites out there pretending to be paypal so that they can trick you into giving them your login info. I have been a computer professional for close to 30 years, and some of these sites and emails are really sophisticated. I haven't fallen for one, but I can see how less technical folks can.

In the end, It's just not worth it.

Larry

7. Shooting Coach

I appreciate the honest opinions. This does not sound like something I want to do.

8. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

People do it, but it is against paypal's policies.
    If you had a dispute, you would probably have to reveal the sale, and probably not be protected.
    I think paypal has instituted protection against charge backs, but again, you would have to reveal the sale in a dispute.
    If this is a serious buyer, and he has money and not a credit card, ask for a postal money order, bank money order, or bank check.
    Call the bank the check was drawn on to make sure the funds were paid to your account before you ship the gun.
    A personal check would be fine too if the guy has good references.
    I set up a separate "E-Checking Account" specifically for internet transactions with paypal and internet auction sites.

9. Citori Shooter

Citori Shooter TS Member

Hi,If you chose to use Paypal;absolutely do not list it as a gun purchase.Personally,I would make the buyer pay with a U.S. postal money order that way you know you have your money.If the buyer is not happy with the purchase they can claim it was not as advertised and potentially have the money charged back(refunded)through Paypal.My $.02.

10. Shooting Coach

Unfortunately, most banks will not inform about the status of their checks to another bank. Bank of (Central) America is the worst.

11. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have been using PP for many years now with no problems. I always tell my customers I only take a USPS money order or I offer PP for those others that want to pay that way & I ALWAYS tell them to add 4% to the price since PP stiffs the sellers for fees.
    If I was selling a firearm I would NOT use PP. I would insist on a USPS money order.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have used PayPal for 10 years or so. If you do a lot of selling they will force you into a Premier account and it will cost you 3% to receive money (there is no fee to send money). it is about the same cost as taking payments by credit card with a merchant account. You cannot do much selling without some form of electronic payment. Ebay has disallowed miney orders and personal checks.

I always use a cashiers check to transact firearms.

Jim Skeel

13. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Ebay , as I read it, now only allows payment by paypal. I have used eBay for years and have never had any problems but with this new edict, I want to bail out and not use eBay anymore. The catch is I have a lot of items that need a wide advertizing to sell, such as metallic presses, old bamboo fishing rods, and German advertizing steins. I tried to find out from eBay how the system works but the idiots cannot even describe how their their own system operates. I would appreciate someone who has been using paypal to describe how it works. Then I can put my items up for sale, sell what I can and then cancel paypal and ebay.

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Pretty much PayPal only with the exceptions of, Ebay Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.

Cash? Not clear the merchant cannot say it is accepted in the Ebay listing. But don't know about the legal part as it is payment for all debts public and private according to the government.

How you pay for an item depends partly on what payment methods your seller accepts. Every seller is unique. Read the item description before you bid to find out what payment options you have. Most sellers accept PayPal because it transfers funds immediately and they can ship your item right away instead of waiting for funds to clear.

The fastest way to pay on eBay is by clicking the Pay Now button, which lets you use either PayPal or ProPay. Learn more about how to pay.

When you’re choosing a payment method, look for options that are convenient for you, secure, and traceable, just in case there’s a problem. Use this table to compare payment methods.

PayPal

PayPal is the preferred payment method for most eBay buyers and sellers. PayPal lets you send payments quickly and securely online using a credit card or bank account.

Learn more about paying with PayPal.

Credit card /debit card

Some sellers accept credit card payments through an Internet merchant account.

Note: With this payment option, you’ll be asked to provide your credit card information.

ProPay

ProPay lets sellers accept credit cards without an Internet merchant account.

? With ProPay, you’re using your credit card and the advantages are the same as if you used your credit card through an Internet merchant account.

Note: ProPay doesn’t have its own buyer or seller protection plans. Check with your credit card provider for protection terms and conditions.

Pay upon pickup

Along with other allowed payment methods, sellers can also offer this option.

Escrow

This is recommended for high-priced items. Learn more about how escrow works and which escrow sites are e-Bay approved.

Checks, money orders, and bank wire transfers aren’t allowed for most eBay purchases.

But sellers can offer these payment methods for certain items in some categories, including Motors, Capital and Business Equipment, Real Estate, and Adult Only.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I commonly use another method that I believe is safe. I just have the person send me a personal check. I take the check to my bank and have them call the out of town bank to verify the check is good and to put a hold on the amount of the check. This is the same thing as traveling to the bank, presenting the check and receiving cash. This has worked well for me in many, some rather large, transactions.

Pat Ireland

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Cashiers checks are the easiest scam out there today. I have first hand experience on that one. There are a lot of phony casiers checks being passed around.

17. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I've used paypal hundreds of time and for the most part, I won't buy something where I can't use it. Going to the bank or post office and standing in line for a CC or MO is not for me. I stood in line in the Army. If someone doesn't qualify to be Verified by paypal that's a warning to me.

18. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Claybrdr;

With all due respect, I hope you would take into consideration that there is a difference between not qualifying to be verified and choosing not to be verified.

Regards;

Larry

19. cf4952

cf4952 Member

From Paypal web site. So I'd say don't do it.........

What types of firearms related items does PayPal prohibit?

Answer :
    PayPal prohibits all account holders from buying or selling any type of firearm and certain firearm parts and ammunition. PayPal may allow certain U.S. merchants to sell items addressed by this policy if they have been approved by PayPal and can ensure transactions and shipments comply with all applicable laws and regulations.

Firearms – Include all rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they are intended for use in sporting, as collectibles, or as curio and relic firearms. These items are prohibited regardless of their present working order.

Firearm parts - Include, but are not limited to, receivers and frames, silencers, kits designed to convert a firearm to automatic firing capability, high capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers.

Ammunition - Includes ammunition with propellant, such as gunpowder or blank ammunition. Ammunition is defined as ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

20. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

I know I don't know you guys personally but take it from a guy who has been defrauded by paypal------stay far far away. Have had friends locally here in Grand Junction Colorado who have had similar experiences. Where there smoke there's usually fire! Just a friendly word of warning! Phil Simms Stockmaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.