1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-NC Traffic Violation???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by welderman, May 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welderman

welderman TS Member

Returning to MA from a shoot in NC, I received a ticket for going 10 miles over 55/45. I can pay the $125 ticket by mail or hire a NC attorney to fight it. Any suggestions? I'm not as worried about the $125, as the potential impact on my points in MA. Thanks in advance for your comments. Tom S (welderman)

2. welderman

welderman TS Member

I checked with MA-RMV. They told me that if they receive notification of a conviction, they will attach points. So, the question is whether NC will notify MA of the conviction. NC is a member of the Interstate Reciprocity Compact, but whether they would notify MA for a 10 mph over violation is what I don't know. Tom S (welderman)

3. mobear

mobear Member

The odds of you actually beating a speeding ticket are so small that it is probably not even worth fighting it, and by the time you got done paying for a lawyer, that will cost you more than the point or two that may affect your insurance.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Get a receipt for repairing your speedometer and take it to court with you and explain to the Judge that is was not your fault because of a factory defect in the car you were driving ... This will usually work unless you are a many time offender ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. atashooter

atashooter Member

This is what they say in Va... "By signing this summons, you are not admitting guilt. You are stating that you will appear on the above date to traffic court to be found guilty "

6. mobear

mobear Member

Bill,

The old speedo isnt working trick doesnt float with judges anymore.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It's been my experience that anyone that takes the time to appear and make any sensible explanation to the court will be rewarded with a much lower fine and I'd reckon that a receipt for a speedometer repair along with an apology for erring would have even a better chance at a dismissal....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Drive 45 MPH in a 45 MPH Zone it's posted at that speed for a reason. The old saying "If you can't do the time don't do the crime"

9. Bustedemall

Bustedemall TS Member

Just man up and pay your fine. You probably were going faster than that and the officer gave you a break and wrote it for 10 over. What's happening to personal responsibility? Integrity?

10. steevo

steevo TS Member

welderman, where are you at in MA? Im from MA also..... Steve

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Show the judge you're a real man!

Show up in his court, rip your driver's license into small pieces and throw those pieces in the judge's face and tell him where to shove it!

He will most likely be to afraid to fine you and will likely apologize to you for your inconvenience.

Oh, and be sure to wear camouflage clothing and boots when you go. That always impresses the judges.

;-)

Hauxfan!

12. welderman

welderman TS Member

DaleZ and Bustedemall, the officer who pulled me over was a young female who appeared to be in training. A senior officer remained in the cruiser. I was doing 55 and was being passed by other traffic. The speed limit was posted 55. I turned around after the citation and retraced my route to check. I was entering Greensboro city limits which may have meant an automatic speed reduction, however it was not posted. Do you think my out of state tags made me easy prey for an officer in training? nspktr1, I liked your answer. I don't mind paying the fine, but I'd like to pay just once, and not have to pay MA for a NC officer trainig session. Tom S (welderman)

13. willing

willing Member

I live in NC and received a ticket for speeding from a State trooper. I went to the DA's office and told them that I hadn't had a ticket in over 30 years. They marked the ticket , improper equipment, and told me to go pay the fine. NO notification to the insurance and NO points! You may have a problem getting back to the local NC DA.

Bill

14. goldengirl

goldengirl TS Member

NEVER NEVER NEVER PAY A TICKET. hire a lawyer clog up the court system and these rotten blacked suited jack booted revenue extortion thugs will be without a job. why write a ticket if nobody pays . they cant put everybody in jail and they can only hear one case at a time . you can make a difference.

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Here's a few urls to look at regarding speeding tickets. The idea of requesting the pertinent records prior to an appearance, plus changing the date of appearance, etc., might be the best options. I'll make no recommendations regarding what you should do, since I am not a legal professional, but I have seen many people avoid a conviction. The distance involved would be the deciding factor. I would personally just try to pay the fine, but I would call the court or local DA (NOT Nifong) and see if you can make a deal (IN Writing) about not having the offense reported, in exchange for a "no-contest" plea without actually admitting guilt, and prompt payment of the fine. I would cite the distance involved and costs as your reason, but politely imply that you might be inclined to go to trial if they would insist on reporting it to your home state.

http://biz.yahoo.com/brn/070330/21532.html

http://www.jesbeard.com/29ab.htm

Some additonal info on NC. May or may not be totally accurate.

http://www.speedingticketcentral.com/North-Carolina-speeding-ticket.html

16. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

Maybe you should have said "If you want my address and phone number a ticket isn't necessary"

17. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

"Do you think my out of state tags made me easy prey for an officer in training?"

"I was doing 55 and was being passed by other traffic."

Hahahahahahahahhaaaa....of course it had nothing to do with it!

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

If you are from NC, better drive 5mph UNDER in MAss. Teddy Kennedy's boys balance our budget on out of state drivers, there is usually a speed trap at the NH and Ct line on the interstates....

19. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

the number of scofflaws here amazes me. The law is the law. If the sign says 45, why are you going much faster. I know, because you can. The law does not apply to you. You guys always amaze me, I drive more than 30,000 miles per year so I know just a bit about driver habits - speeding, weaving, distracted driving, drunk driving, etc. You climb on my bumper when I am already doing 72 in a 65, but if you see a cop, even if he is on the other side of the road, you immediately hit the brakes and don't even do 65. You clowns deserve each other and I hope you all end up in the ditch.

20. willing

willing Member

"I was doing 55 and all the traffic was passing me.
    When you throw your hook into a school of fish do you expect to catch them all??

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.