1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(OT) My Prostate Update.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hauxfan, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I decided to start a new thread so it would be easier to find and to read.

I went to see a urologist this morning and after all was said and done, he really didn't alarm me to much. He really was a nice guy and had a nice manner about him and really put me at ease. That is a plus for me.

He said he could feel just a small little lump, but without doing a biopsy, he couldn't really say one way or the other if it was cancer or not for sure.

As I want to know for sure, I have a biopsy scheduled on Nov 20th. That is the earliest I could get in.

He did say, that if I lived like in a Scandinavian country, they probably wouldn't do anything seeing as I'm 71 years old. Interesting.

I want to thank each and every one who contributed to an earlier thread.

There are a lot of good, caring trap-shooters/people on this site and it really makes a person feel good to know you most likely aren't alone and someone has had this done and is willing to share their story.

Thanks again everyone!

Hauxfan!

2. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

I told ya.

3. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

That's good news. The biopsy is a "pain in the butt" if you know what I mean. If not, you will know after the procedure. It really isn't painful, just humiliating and a little uncomfortable. I have found out at our ages nothing is too humiliating anymore. Good Luck.

4. Hauxfan

Unsingle, you got that right.

I'm now talking about things with guys that I used to only tell my cat.

Zara.............Yup............

Hauxfan!

5. Toddy

Toddy Member

Hauxfan,
    Aloha,

I have had 2 biopsies done this year and both times was told that there is no signs of cancer but the Dr. says we still have to monitor it with another blood test in 6 months.

Biopsies are not fun and degrading as hell but ,I guess, must be done as they hit you with a needle gismo 6 times on each side of your prostate and for the second time was done to hit me in between the previous shots but I expect when they do another blood test and if my PSA count is up they will probably do another Biopsy and I guess I am now in the "Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia mode"

I'll sure be glad when it is all over and hope your results are clear and negative....

I will still be at the Hawaii P.I.T.A.State shoot in Hilo in Feb.2010

Mahalo,

Reg. Todd, East Sooke, BC

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Hauxfan, as said before it isn't that bad, but I wouldn't want to do it again, but I won't have to, when I was 41 about 15 yrs ago, I was having trouble pissing and I was at the doctor and told hin to do a PSA test while they were doing other blood work, he said I was too young, I told him my Dad had it and it had gone to his bones and he died from it, so do it, so he did and it came back at 4.5 so went to the urologist, he did his finger thing and was pushing real hard he asked if it hurt, said not at all, but think it should be, anyway they did the biopsy and I had cancer so they took it out becuase I was so young, if you're a little older they have some other treatments that are alot easier.

It came back after 4 years, I guess they missed some of it "sparing the nerve" I had to go through chemo and radiation, but all has been fine since then it's been about 10 years

Good luck, it'll all work out fine

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

12 seems to be the accepted number of biopsy samples taken. After the first eight the doc asked if I knew how many more were to be taken - then snickered. He says everyone knows exactly where they are and can answer the question accurately.

It's not that bad and a little levity during the procedure made everyone involved more relaxed.

8. Hauxfan

Jeebus, Pat, What kind of a prom night did you have? lol

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with this problem us guys seem to have.

It's a part of life, and we just have to deal with such things.

Thanks again everyone!

Hauxfan!

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Glad things are ok Haux

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Pat got my attention also, WOW LOL. The biopsy will come back fine, we hope. The Doctor is right about other countries, as I've got friends in CA and I can't believe what they go through in comparison to us here. And free is not without cost. Best of luck, all will be good. Bob

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Haux be sure and be a good little patient. See you next year on the line. Tripod

12. Hauxfan

Tripod, As old as I am, I can't be anything else.

Of course Shootlow might disagree a little bit.

Hauxfan!

13. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Haux,

Sorry to hear you are experiencing "men's problems" 14 months ago I was in your shoes, was about to enter hospital for major surgery to left ankle (fusion and tibial bone graft) Doc decided to give me some extra blood tests.

Found high PSA reading, Doc suggested Biopsy prior to anlke surgery, you guessed it, positive count of 10.

Was already booked to have ankle done 4 day's later, ankle operation went ahead, Doc said 3 months in wheelchair after which we will do volume study to decide on which operation on Prostate will be successful.

I said B###SH#T lets get-er-done, found I was better off with Bracki therapy, 109 Radio active metal seeds inserted directly into prostate.

Was back in Hospital 3 weeks after volume study for "seeding" mate! believe me if you get the choice it is a walk in the park, 14 months later PSA is below .5 of one percent.

Today this problem is totally treatable if got early, I thank God the Doc ordered the extra blood test's just to be sure, I had no indication of any prostate problem.

Radio activity halves in strength every 3 months, so after 12 months practically all gone, seeds stay in for life, no big deal.

Just to cap it all off needed right shoulder total replacement 2 months later, Doc allowed me to start back shooting today, 14 months since last shooting was a bit rusty but just being with my buddies pulling the trigger was all I needed, thank God we live in today's times with wonderful Doctors and medical facilities that hopefully can keep us on the line all that much longer.

Good luck and best wishes.

Release Trigger....Downunder.
    Hope to shoot Iowa State 2010 and we will compare notes.

14. chuckles

chuckles Member

Two words come to mind....Roto Rooter....

15. Hauxfan

Sorry, Chuckles, but I am not experiencing that problem......as of yet.

Release Trigger, thanks for sharing your story.

From what I can tell, there are more than one way to deal with the problem.

But first, I have to determine what the problem is for sure and how far along it is and see what my Doctor recommends.

Biopsy on the 20th will let me know how things are for sure.

Will make a decision after that.

Looking forward to seeing you 2010 at the Iowa State Shoot.....

Hauxfan!

16. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I will be praying for you. Kim

17. Hauxfan

Thanks, Kim. All prayers are welcome.

Hauxfan!

18. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

Hauxfan: Sorry to hear of your problems hope all goes well for you and hope to see you again in 2010 on the tracks like this year. Release Trigger hope you are also on the mend wondered why I had not seen you around. May be we can all get together in Iowa in 2010.

Kindest Regards
    Stubbie

19. Hauxfan

Sounds good, Stubbie. Not really on the mend, as we don't yet know what the prognosis is or what our course of action will be.

I'm having a biopsy done on the 20th of Nov. and will report back here when I get my results back and can figure out the best way to deal with what ever arises.

It could be nothing or it could be something.

We're ready, either way..........Especially since so many here have shared their stories with me and have helped tremendously with what may lie ahead.

Hope to see you in Iowa in 2010.

Hauxfan!

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Fortunately, Flomax currently eases my problem ;-)

Something to look forward too I guess...

Thanks for posting this.

Jim C

a tragic Michigan football figure.. the forlorn looking guy with the bag over his head at the Illinois game...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.