1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Mutual Fund Store

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by primed, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I listened to his radio show for a while and don't care much for his way of thinking. If a caller has a fund that has been returning 25% average for 4 years, he invariably tells the caller to sell. It seems like he thinks the manager of the fund is lucky and his luck must be about to run out. He never seems to think that the manager is very skilled and that he is skilled enough to continue to do well. To me that is just plain stupid. I personally will never invest a penny with him. I personally like the CGM Focus Fund (CGMFX). It returned 79.8% last year and it wasn't because Ken Heebner is lucky. It's because he is dam good at what he does.

JMHO

Bob

2. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Comments from Morningstar:

CGM Focus (NASDAQ:CGMFX - News) +80%
    Now it's getting interesting. Ken Heebner made our manager of the year nominees list because he had solid long-term returns to go with an amazing year. His calls were absolutely brilliant. He owned emerging-markets stocks such as Value Overseas, a Brazilian iron ore exporter, and Vimple Communications of Russia. On the flipside, he shorted Countrywide Financial (NYSE:CFC - News), which got ensnared in the subprime mess. Heebner is an outstanding manager, but if you buy in remember this is a once-in-a-lifetime year and he sometimes gets it wrong. He's had losses of more than 20% in a single year at CGM Capital Development and that certainly could happen at this fund, too.

3. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Bulls make money, Bears make money, Pigs get led to slaughter.

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Look at Heebner's 5 and 10 yr averages! He is one of the best in the business and its not luck. Wish I had sent him 100k 10 years ago!!!!

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Can't say that I necessarily heard the show segments primed did. Alan Bold's operating philosophy, which I've heard him say countless times, is to find those funds which perform better than the market in good times and those that decline less than the market in down times. This translates into following fund managers who are successful over time. I'd say listen to him, and like everything else in life, check it out for yourself before following the advice.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.