1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Mossberg O/U Problems

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by stskid, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stskid

stskid TS Member

Just purchased a Mossberg Silver Reserve 20 ga. O/U. I wanted to use it as a field gun for preserve pheasants. Well, I shot 2 rounds of trap to get used to it and took it on 3 hunting trips. Shot a total of 67 shells through it and it appears the top firing pin has broken.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the pleasure of using one of these Turkish Delights (gun is made in Turkey and imported by Mossberg) or is my experience the exception?

Rick Reading

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

2 mwmbers have the sporting models. Both had fire pin problems. One sent his gun back got a new gun in return. Other just got new pins and installed himself. The member who installed him self said the insides where nast full of gunk, only shot about 250 shells before his failure. The new pins and good cleaning have cleared up his issues. The 1st guy had his for arm continue to loosen, traded gun in.

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Like Mac, two friends had the same thing happen. They got new pins from Mossberg, replaced them themselves, and now don't shoot them much. Phil E

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

Yet people keep buying these cheap guns when they should know better. Oh yeah, they are cheap but in price and quality.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We have a young man at our club that thought he just had to have an O/U 20 ga for skeet shooting so he traded a nice 1187 plus a few bucks for one of those 'Mossberg' O/U imports. He didn't shoot that gun anywhere near as well as the 1187 and guess what --- the top firing pin broke and he can't find a replacement. Well at least someone ended up with a decent gun (the 1187)!

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

These guns are very tempting for the money. I see the problem being people want a new gun but can afford the better guns. The mossberg sporting and stoger condor compitition I have shot. They both shot well. There function and not so nice fit and finish put me off. I shot last night and brought this up with the mossberg owner. Rumor has it mosberg pins for those guns where sorced out to some other company. They where not built to specs. Getting pins in the early production runs was tougher Jusy where not any new ones. Thats why the other guy just got a new gun back. The shooter who still has one said mosberg has been very good on the customer service end. He also told me he had the forarm latch kept coming loose. Was sent the new parts to correct. I think what happens is these parts are made whereever by whoever then put together somewhere. Its to bad. I have a mosberg 500 I paid 175.00 on sale. I call it my POS5. But must tell you that gun is holding up quite well with about 5000k rounds thru it and min service. Most people will not listen either. 870 1100 391 or a used good gun is all one needs.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

The best way to maintain any Turkish gun is to drive to your nearest dumpster and toss it in! POS, every one of them.

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Mossberg and Yugo were made by the same company, most parts were interchangable is what I was told ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Some info I found reseaching this for club member.

10. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Rick......Is it you enjoy wasting your money or was it you just didn't know better?

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I knew it was something like that, Thanks ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Update, Rick. I asked my friend about his firing pin experience. Here's what he said: "Yes, this is the problem we had in both of our guns (2 of 4 broken, the other 2 bent).

Mossberg (USA) is great. Mossberg Int'l (Turkey) is POS. I'm not shooting much trap anymore, I'll go out once in a blue moon just to keep the "touch" I guess, so I suppose I'll keep the Mossberg O/U.

Bud and I are quite disappointed in the customer service on them as well from Mossberg/Maverick Arms in TX. We took the whole assembly apart completely a couple times, and although a bit tricky, it wasn't THAT bad (what all the talk on the Shotgun World forum link was about). The only real tricky part we had was putting the cocking spring assembly back together (lots of spring pressure and took a lot of luck and four hands working together like surgeons!). Feel free from both of us to not recommend them at any price. Stoeger Condor (like Steve's) seems like a much better comparable product for the $. Not only were our Mossberg firing pins brittle, but they didn't heat treat my hammers and they got mashed/peaned quickly (for some reason that didn't happen on Bud's, though). Neither of them shoot very straight out of either barrel and you have to compensate differently for both (and his shoots different than mine - his is the basic Field model, mine is the upgraded Sporting model with ported barrel, wider rib and mid bead)." I have no first-hand experience with them, Rick, this is all second-hand, and happened 18 months ago. It's possible the newer hammers & firing pins are improved, and new pins might make yours work fine. Phil E

13. stskid

stskid TS Member

Thanks for all the kind words!

When I purchased this gun I was looking for an inexpensive 20 ga. gun to use on planted pheasants. I have a Mossberg 835 Ultimag which I've used for well over 10 years and have never had a problem with it. I just wanted something that I didn't have to worry if I dinged the stock, didn't care if it was pretty, just expected it to go off when I pulled the trigger.

With my past experience with the Mossberg product I thought this gun fit the bill, but obviuosly I was wrong. It's off to Texas with it to get it fixed. When it gets back I think it's getting traded in on a Browning Golden Hunter.

It looks like all the trusted names in firearms are looking for the easiest way to make a dollar at the expense of their reputations!

Rick Reading

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.