1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT model 12 20g value

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mredburn, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

I have a model 12 in 20g serial number 734xxx (6 digit) field grade with a poly choke vent rib and modified choke. Any Ideas on value? The stock is pretty well marred. The forearm not as much, the blueing is is in good condition with light wear on the tube and slide bar. Any thoughts are appreciated as I dont have a blue book to look up the values. Mike

2. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't know about value but I'll offer you $100.00 plus shipping and ins. with a three day turn around offer. Dave P.
    davep@winco.net
    309-647-0543 Computer e-mail not working on a regular basis.

3. gunut

gunut TS Member

field, skeet, trap grade?....checkered wood...plain?....after market rib or winchester?....the poly already takes it out of the collector arena...but need more info......

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

checkered wood?

Gene

5. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

The wood is not checkered and the forarm is the tootsie roll type. The rib is stamped poly choke on the side of the rib, but it does not have a poly choke selectable choke on the end. The barrel is stamped 2 3/4 Mod. Definitly an after market rib. Thank you for the kind offer Dave I will keep it in mind. Mike

6. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

not yet, I can take them but I have not yet learned how to post them. Mike

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

probably worth about 200 the way described

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

mredburn m 12s in 20 will start at 500 and up rick

9. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Nothing wrong with the polychoke aftermarket rib. It's as good as any aftermarket rib. That is the rib, and doesn't mean that it ever had a polychoke choke devise. I'm not in the market, but if it's good mechanically, a M12 fan would probably give most of $500.

10. spritc

spritc Active Member

Mike, 20 gauge model 12s in good condition should bring in the $500 range. However, if it is better than good the price goes up from there. An excellent example should bring $900 to $1,000. I missed one last week for $695 and I'm still kicking myself.

Steve

11. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

I see captin has made you the generous offer of $150. I don't know anything about your gun, and I don't even want a M12, but if it shoots, I'll offer you $200. It's worth more than that. Tell captin to buzz off, and try to get a fair price for your gun.

If you want to post photos and need help, email them to me smokerez@yahoo.com

12. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

If you're interested in selling for a fair price, e-mail me, we can talk.
    Thanks, Mike x's get dropped

13. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

Gentlemen, I thank you for your offers but I am not really ready to sell it. Its my wifes gun and we have had it quite a while. I was more interested in an approximate value out of curiosity. I will email the pictures to smokerz so he can post them. Thanks to you all. Mike

14. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

15. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

The rib is an aluminum one by Polychoke. Maybe installed because it was a plain barrel, or possibly someone had the original steel rib replaced to reduce weight.

16. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

Thanks smokerz Mike

17. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

I believe it was a plain barrel, the rib stops just before the receiver. The gentleman who gave it to my wife used it as a skeet gun. It wasnt until I posted this thread that I really gave it a good look over. the condition of the stock would lead me to believe it saw a bit of use as a hunting gun. The dings and marring would indicate it was stored in the closet or banged about a bit. I have kept it in a soft case in the gun cabinet for quite a while now. It hasnt been shot since the early 90s and the action is smooth but not loose.
    If it is an aluminum rib how would they have attaced it? low temp Solder? Mike

18. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

I believe its diet was only yellow shells, thank you MIA I would rather have a realistic idea of its worth so If i decide to offer it for sale I can make someone a good deal and still receive fair value. Mike

19. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**If it is an aluminum rib how would they have attaced it? low temp Solder? Mike**

I'm not certain how it's attached, but I recognize it as an aluminum Polychoke because I have an identical rib on a 101 which was installed in the mid 60s. If you look closely, you can see that the rib is true black (anodized) rather than the blue-black of blued steel. To be certain, put a magnet to it.

As I said, I'm not certain, but it looks to me like the rib is epoxied on; probably something like JB Weld. There are some low-temp aluminum solders, but that would have discolored the bluing. Not to worry, mine's been shot for 40 years and hasn't come loose yet.

20. mredburn

mredburn TS Member

Thank you captain I will let you know if I decide to sell it. Yes the rib is black and under magnification it does look like an epoxy/glue at the end of the rib nearest the reciever. Great information thanks, mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.