1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: mobility scooter

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My step dad is a nearing ninety ex Marine who fought in hand to hand combat on Guadalcanal. He's a tough guy but his legs are absolutely gone and he has fallen twice in the week I have been visiting he and my mom. He has undergone physical therapy but nothing has gotten his legs back to anywhere near normal. I think one of those little mobility scooters would be a good solution to his problem. Does anyone know anything about them? I see the tv ads for the ones where they work with social security but I have no idea if it's s scam. If anyone has any first hand experience I'd appreciate hearing about it. Thanks, wireguy

2. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Wireguy- DON'T SIGN ANYTHING, DON'T TAKE DELIVERY....until you know if Medicare or his insurance will cover the majority of the cost. Check with the VA. They may be able to come up with an electric variety or another. BE WARY. Some of those co.'s like you to take it and then when it gets denied (Medicare) they will pressure the patient to buy it. I'm in the DME (durable medical equipment) business, but we don't sell electric chairs/scooters.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

3. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

He might be able to get one through the VA. I know some who have. Jimmy Borum

4. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I bought one for myself and love it. I done a lot of research on them ( about a years worth ) and came up with one that I love. I use mine outdoors exclusively. I run to the mailbox, go to my shop out back ,visit neighbors, etc. I got a HD 4 wheel model. I also believe in buying one with a capacity higher than you need. Even tho I am a big guy , I still bought one with an extra weight capacity by a hundred pounds. My feeling is a bigger scooter will do the job easier and last longer vs one that is operating at capacity all the time. BTW, I paid for mine out of my pocket and have no regrets. If you'd like to talk about it email me and we can talk on the phone of you like.

5. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Watch them close as far as the companies. When my aunt needed one the doctor had to sign off on it. Start with the doctors and move forward from there. I have a guy I've known for years that sells medical equipment and scooters, I didn't buy my aunts from him.

Tony

6. little gambler

little gambler Active Member

Wireguy,

I have a 4 wheeled rascal model that I bought for a dear friend who had cancer and it was only used 4x at the gun club. It's brand new looking, still with plastic on the armrests and etc, etc. It's sat around for so long (about 4 years) I think the battery has went bad on it, I would be willing to make you a pretty good deal on it, however I don't have the slightest idea how to ship it. l.g.

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Wireguy, I can help you out as I am in the power mobility business. First bit of advice is do not buy a scooter/power chair from a dealer, on line, Costco, etc., and then try to bill Medicare or insurance company yourself...almost guarantees no reimbursement. There is a certain amount of paperwork involved for the physician and a home assessment is required by the payors.
    That said, the best products on the market are from Pride Mobility (www.pridemobility.com). They make excellent products and my experience with their products is outstanding. Never a warranty issue! Feel free to call me and I will connect you with a representative in your area. Your step dad should have no out of pocket cost. Jim (916) 501-9501.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks everyone. Jim I'll call you. wireguy

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

After further observation I have realised his legs are a minor part of the problem. It is his balance (lack of) and being top heavy that is really the problem. He refuses to use his walker regulary, and if he loses his balance his top heavy build ensures he is going over. Now to figure out how to make his walker more appealing because that is what he really needs. Swath it in leather and fringes maybe.

10. jrb

jrb Member

wireguy

I am a pride dealer and deal with powerwheelchairs and scooters, along with other manufacturers. Contact a local durable medical equipment company and let them work with you on a scooter. Medicare will cover only certain scooters and there is a lot of red tape that your local dme company can help take care of for you. Power wheelchairs may be covered easier depending on the needs and diagnosis. Don't trust the one's that promise that they will get it for you or else.....I won't name names professionally. Just check out the lawsuits!!!

Sounds like your father is a pretty good candidate...good luck!
    If you are close to Saint Louis email me back for more information.

J. R. Brock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.