1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

(OT) Mittens or Gloves......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hauxfan, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Serious question.

It's damn cold out and you have to be out in shoveling snow or blowing snow, which will keep your hands warmer?

The reason I ask is, I've always used gloves, but as I get older, the gloves don't seem to keep my hands as warm. Could be old age or what ever, but if a good pair of mittens would be warmer, I'll trot myself to the local mitten shop and get me a pair.

I'm tired of freezing my "mitts". lol

Looking forward to what others think.

Thank you!

Hauxfan!

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

It all depends ... would they be mittens with the ends cut off so you can work or gloves with the fingers cut off so you can work?

Mittens all the way cause they remind me of when I was a child and had the string on them that ran up the sleeve over the shoulders and back down the other sleeve so they were constantly together and would never get lost. I remember once when I got all tangled up in that string while putting my coat on once and ... well ... i dont remember it all but I did wake up and ... well ... they said I was turning blue and such. HEY ... I wonder if that might explain some current condititions?

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Mittens are generally warmer than gloves because of the larger air space around the fingers but gloves were invented because there is a heck of a lot you can't do well in mittens. I can use mittens while blowing snow off the driveway with the tractor but I can't shovel in them worth a darn.

Morgan

4. Hauxfan

Lumper, thanks for the non answer.

If you would have read my post, I was talking about snow and I don't think you want any mittens with the ends cut off when it's 5 degrees above zero and the wind blowing 15 mph.

Hairy and Captain Morgan, thanks for the straight up answers. I might start looking for some next time I get to Scheels or where ever they have a good selection.

Thanks!

Hauxfan!

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hauxfan ... I learned as a very young lad growing up in the Twin City area that mittens were and always would be warmer than gloves due to the air pocket inside the mittens that surrounds your entire hand but remember that mittens can be harder to work in and you may not get as good a grip as with gloves.

BTW ... some of the newer gloves on the market can be really quite warm, especially when out shoveling snow or scraping ice off your windshield.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

We used to call them choppers, heavy mittens, wear thin stretch fingerless gloves underneath so you can throw off the choppers when you need you fingers then pull the heavy mittens back on as needed. I use a pair of water proof Eskimo mittens that I can throw down on the wet ice during "fish on" and the inside stays dry. I Also have a handmade pair from buckskin that I treat with Snowseal that I use for operating a snow pusher on a skid steer. Some have a built in pouch that holds a small chemical hand warmer packet,

Nowdays they make some very warm snowmobile gloves if you want somthing really heavy.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

Mittens keep my hands warmer, my wife bought me some good ones that have half glove fingers with a mitten flap that folds down over to make them mittens, work pretty good but I suppose the velcro that holds the flap back will wear out pretty soon.

Anyway, furry mitten backs hold more snot than a glove!!!!!

8. TC

TC TS Member

The snowmobile/snow sports gloves are very warm but mittens are warmer. I often wear a pair of jersey gloves inside mittens when running the snowblower. I can slip the mitten off but keep the glove on if needed. Tony

9. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Haux,I have used both.
    Mittens seem warmer.I have trouble keeping my hands warm.
    What works for me are those little hand or pocket warmers you can buy.
    I activate them and put one in each glove.

Bo

10. Hauxfan

Thanks for all the great responses. I can remember when we were kids, if you wore mittens, you were a Momma's boy. Only little kids wore mittens.

Getting your first pair of gloves was like passing into adulthood or something like that.

I'll be checking out the local stores in the next few days. Supposed to snow again here today...........But that may be better than the 29 below zero that we had yesterday.

Likes-to-shoot, This Sunday would be a great day to shoot. Don't know if you are familiar with our 50 bird Derby's, but we have one that starts at noon Sunday.

You might just as well come and take our money........lol

Supposed to be around 37 degrees by then. That is something!

Thanks again, everyone.

Hauxfan!

11. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I found some mil-surplus mittens that work great. Wool mitten insert with a trigger finger that fit into a canvas/leather outer shell that also has a trigger finger. When it's real cold you pull your finger out of the trigger finger slot and just keep it in the mitten, then when needed you can switch back. The double layer of wool-canvas-leather does a real nice job in keeping your hands warm.
    I think they were about $10, bought extra wool inserts, you can use them on just cool days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.