1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Mexican trucks revisited

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Is it really possible someone listens?

Check it out:

Washington DC - The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) congratulated Senators Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) and Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) for sponsoring an amendment to the Transportation Appropriations bill that cuts-off funding for a program that would have allowed hundreds of Mexican trucks to haul cargo on U.S. highways. The amendment was approved Tuesday by a 75 to 23 margin.

The program, promoted by the Bush Administration, would have cost many Americans their jobs and endangered motorists on our interstate highways because of laxer safety standards for Mexican trucks. The Mexican trucking program would also have posed a threat to homeland security, compounding the already difficult task of inspecting cargo entering the U.S. Fittingly, the vote on the amendment took place on the sixth anniversary of 9/11.

"FAIR joins everyone who is concerned about protecting the jobs of American workers, protecting the safety of people who drive on our highways, and protecting the security of our nation, in congratulating Sen. Dorgan for putting these interests ahead of the desire of large corporations to cut their trucking costs," said Dan Stein, president of FAIR. "It seems it is finally dawning on members of Congress that the American people believe there are important national interests that must take precedence over the desire of some to save a buck."

The overwhelming approval of this amendment, combined with the support of organized labor, is a hopeful indication that a new coalition that supports border and immigration enforcement may be developing. "People are becoming aware that ill-conceived trade policies and unenforced immigration policies are a threat to national security and to our embattled middle class," Stein noted. "Whether by default - because we do not enforce laws against illegal immigration - or by design, such as policies that open our highways to foreign truckers, there are actual American workers and their families who pay a heavy price for some businesses' insatiable thirst for lower cost labor.

"Likewise, whether we have people and goods moving across our borders illegally, or whether we institute policies that allow people and goods to enter with little or no inspection, the consequence is the same. America's homeland security is compromised," declared Stein.

The same principles that were applied to the decision of Congress not to allow Mexican trucks to haul good across the U.S., must be applied to our border policies in general. "The basic litmus test for determining immigration policies should be, Will American workers be harmed? Will public safety be compromised? Will homeland security be put at risk? If the answers to any of these questions is yes, then the policies need to be reconsidered," concluded Stein.

Man, this sounds like way too much common sense to me. Good deal. My son in law is an owner operator.

HM

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thanks halfmile,

I started this original thread with American jobs and safety in mind. I'm not even a truck driver, just hate to see our middle class jobs going down the tubes. This is good news and thanks for posting,
    Shannon

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

wonder if this woulda been passed under the republican led congress...

thank god some sense is coming out of the Houses.

4. halfmile

rev, stick it.

HM

5. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

It was 75 to 23 . That means "MANY" Republicans voted for it, or are you just too think headed to get that!

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

On another note there is a civil rights lawsuit going on by several Mexicans that works at Swift. They are saying that their civil rights were violated when Immigration officers raided Swift plants around the country in the last year or so.

And so the saga continues........

Bill

PS...Thats 23 not enough

7. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

Mexican trucks to haul Mexican products or Mexican illegals into the USA. It sounds like a George Bush plan.

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

stick what? the fact that it took this long for this type of amendment? or the fact that this type of amendment was even needed?

slide...yes...I am THINK headed. I'd like to see how many repubs voted Nay on the amendment.

Im with likes-to-shoot....that was 23 shy of what should have been.

9. halfmile

This was not about party affiliation. It was sponsored by a Republican and a Democrat.

so quit trying to raise shit about it. If you're so damn interested, go find out the roll call on the vote. And be sure to let us know even if you con't like the answer.

HM

10. tachyon

tachyon Member

Well, both a majority of democrats and a majority of republicans voted for this amendment. Both parties supported the amendment. 22 of the votes against the amendment came from republicans.

11. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

all but one, a dem. those evil liberals keeping them sweet, innocent, mexican truck drivers from our roads?

I have to disagree with you Charlie...there's every reason to keep them off of our roads. Safety issues being one of the foremost reasons. Illegal immigration and drug smuggling, a couple more good reasons.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Rev, those are arguments for better inspections & more safety regulations, not keeping them out entirely.

13. halfmile

Our guys can't drive more than what? 8 hours? Who knows how many hours Pablo has behind the wheel when he comes steaming across the border? Or how much speed is cruising through his veins?

I think since we can't enforce the border, we surely couldn't make their trucks or drivers compliant. It's a bad deal all around.

HM

14. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

well...i think its a poor use of NAFTA. We'd be better off pressuring the Mexican government to better provide for their own citizens instead of letting them foist them off on our dollar.

15. halfmile

Yeah, you do that. Send Pelosi and Boxer down there to fix things up.

The reason we are swamped with illegals is the fact that the Mexican government is just about the most corrupt in the Western Hemisphere.

HM

16. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i just wish Bush would've taken a hard line with Fox instead of playing kiss ass...who's to say what this Calderon will do. He's talking a good line...but we'll see.

17. crusha

crusha TS Member

Us govt is scared to death a left leaning govt will take over in Mexico and set up a tinpot communist regime next door to us. Poor Mexicans coming here is the safety valve. Better to absorb a few million poor Mex's to mow our yard and keep things stable down there, than have a revolution next door.

News flash, if Mexican people rise up and have a revolution to change their govt, it won't look like Canada when they're done! It will look like a Venezuela or Bolivia, and if a Chavez comes to power Mexico will eventually look like N. Korea (imagine that next door) and the refugees will all end up here anyway.

Uncle Sam has simply decided, that some high school educated Americans feeling some economic pressure is going to be necessary, to prevent another large domino from falling in Central Am.

If you want to have a N. Korea right next door...just build the wall !!!

18. halfmile

So are you saying illegal immigration is being allowed to preserve Stability on the NOrth American Continent?

If that's your point, why don't you say so?

How many bowls of dumbass did you have for breakfast, anyway? I don't believe the Washington Contingent is looking out for us in that manner. And if they are it borders on treason. Definitely not in our best interests.

How many Muslim America haters do you think come in per day? Wake up call coming.

HM

19. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

oh lord...not the "domino theory"...thought we put that to rest when viet nam didnt trigger a "domino effect".

20. crusha

crusha TS Member

Since you obviously haven't been to college, and are one of these here high school grads with outdated skills we hear so much about (or else fell off the bike a couple times too many), I guess I'll have to explain this for you reeeeeal sloooowwwwwwwww.

Ok, American foreign policy since the 50's has revolved around attempting to prevent Marxist encroachment in the western hemisphere. You've got a pot boiling next door...full of poor people...and there is nothing you can directly do about it. So what does the American Prez do? Well, he sits down with the Mex. Prez...and sez, hey, you don't want no tin-pot "revolucion" deposing you from power...an' I sure don't want that next door either...so what can we do to work this out? And the Mex Prez sez, ok, one thing that comes to mind...about this teeming pot of poor people I got here, about to boil over. You know, yearning for a better life, making noises like they want to stir up trouble...letting a few of them out sure don't hurt my chances none...and from what I see, they do a good job mowing your all's yards & you seem to like it ok (& your corporations don't seem to raise no fuss neither). So how's about you "don't" put up that wall you're talking about, and not tighten up your immigration controls too much too fast, or at least not more'n you absolutely have to, to keep them yahoo blue collars like halfmile happy.

And the American Prez thinks to himself, hm...my country is pretty divided politically over this issue, with nothing likely to change much...If I took a mind to, I could do absolutely nothing to tighten up immigration, and if'n I get called for it, I can blame it on "gridlock." The opposition party isn't doing anything either, so it ain't like I own the issue uniquely...my predecessor done nothing about it...and whoever replaces me ain't doing anything about it either...hell, half the people is happy having Mexicans providing cheap work.

So the American Prez says to the Mex. Prez, yeah, I think I can swing that. I'll make some small noises about the subject...and let gridlock do the rest. You know...let politics take its course.

And the Mexican Prez says, "thanks - see you in Kennebunkport this Christmas?"

You see guys, your little blue collar gripes don't mean jack squat, in the greater scheme of things. So write you another little letter to Feingold or whoever, then crap in your hat. And see which one gets you more satisfaction.

An' if you don't believe it - then you're the one who just finished off the last big bowl of dumbass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.