1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: METALIC CASE TRIMMER RECOMMENDATION

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gdbabin, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I have a used Dillon SDB on the way and will soon be reloading brass (.45acp) for the first time.

I’m looking for a recommendation on a case trimmer that is mid-range in price that will provide years of reliable service. I don’t see myself becoming a large volume brass reloader near-term, just recreational target shooting.

Recommendations on which to look for, and any suitable offered for sale would be appreciated.

Guy Babin

2. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you are not dealing with volume, The Lee kit with the cutter and stud system works great. Spin it with a cheap electic screwdriver. The only thing I didn't like about the lee system was that you had to deprime the brass first as the gauge on the pilot needs to go through that hole. Since I loaded on progressive presses, I didn't like the extra step. With the case still crimped in the lee collet and still spinning on your power screwdiver, it is easy to deburr with the inside and outside reamer from Lyman. (The ones with a handle) That will get you going pretty efficently for less than $30.00.

You will find that .45 brass does not need trimmed often as it is a low pressure round and it has a fairly wide window of servicable limits. I used the power RCBS unit with the quick release collet upgrade, but I was doing a gallon bucket full at a time, for about 20 calibers. All that equipment got expensive.

Good Luck

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If all you are going to load is .45acp you may never have to trim them. At 45 bucks 1000 for cases it really isn't worth it as they load many, many times. I suspect you will split the case before they need to be trimmed. Jeff

Lets put it this way. I have loaded many thousands of them and have never trimmed any. If you plan to load other cases I have a BRAnd new Forester trimmer that has never been used. 30 bucks to your door. Jeff

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks everyone. For now all I plan to load are the .45s so I'll wait to get one since it seems they don't grow--makes sense with the low pressures. I have a mic so I can spot check lengths to be sure.

What about any need to condition the throats? I guess I should get a good brass reference--Is Layman's brass reloading book a good one, or is there a better one geared toward .45acp?

Guy B.

5. VietVet

VietVet TS Member

Hi there, saw your post re:case trimmer--I will buy it for $30.00. Please send details.

Thanks,
    John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.