1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Mercedes sales

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blooch, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blooch

blooch Member

Mt daughter drives an older Mercedes 300. REcently her trunk release quit working and we found out that we neede to get her a Master Key. No Problem.

While paying out the cashier was talking to us about the phenominal, but what he termed curious nature of their sales. This dealership is located within 30 minutes of downtown Austin, Texas. It seems that a couple of slaes a week is a great week, and sometimes they sell a car every week or two. Recently they have been selling about 7-8 a week. Not for cash, not to older couples, but to younger couples with small children who buy them on credit. Many with a very minimal down payment and very, very long terms. He just cannot see it. He says that management there will wheel and deal when they have ot sold a car in a few weeks, but anytime they sell more than one in a week, they demand full asking price.

He, as well as I, do not understand what people are thinking, given the economy.

2. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

With all the liberals in Austin, you can't expect a lot of rational thinking by the young.

HBT

3. WGB

WGB Member

I don't think politics has anything to do with it, unlike so many goofballs here.
    It's a nice car, people want them. What would be their choice in an American car?????? Bankrupt Chevy? Chrysler, ha ha, a PT cruiser? Ford? We don't seem to be making anything that fits in the "Sport-Luxo" category. BMW and Mercedes sell cars because they build a sporty, quality luxury car that sells. The rebadged Honda (Accura) or rebadged Toyota (Lexus) sell for the same prices as the German cars and your still drive a Japanese car.

I see someone driving a Chevy MonteCarlo SS, front wheel drive piece of crap and you know that owner does not know anything about performance. Or a PT Cruiser, ugh, old lady car. Wake up, it's a Dodge Neon chassis with an ugly retro body. Tiny brakes, no motor and zero handling. If you want a grocery getter, buy a Toyota. Need something nice, the Germans are hard to beat. SUV's seem to be the only thing the American makers can build.
    PS, I drive a Ford (Explorer) nothing fancy, it just works. But my wife has a nice little MBZ.

4. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It was probably because the Euro was down to $1.26 a couple weeks ago.

5. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

My point about rational thinking was not regarding the automobile but on the low down, log amortization method of buying more than they probably could/should afford. Borrowing for consumption is always to be avoided.

I've owned both Mercedes and BMW's in the past. I paid cash for them, though. Luxury sport sedans are nice and fun to drive. They just don't meet my mission profile at the present time. I have to haul too much stuff and/or grandkids to be able to use a sports sedan nowadays. I have a half-ton 4x4 truck and a full size SUV that meet my present needs.

HBT

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The best selling Mercedes on the market now is the new C-300. It's the newest model with all the modern technology regarding safety for it's riders.

The current theory of safety is beyond survival after crash, it's the ability of avoiding a crash. Young buyers with little children see the advance technology from these cars as a major advantage over Japanese copies in similar prices.

Most of you probably don't know a '09 C-300 can be had as little as low $30K. With interest rate about the same as your CD, or factory promoted lease will set you at $3 or 400 something a month, all scheduled maintenances are included, driving a brand new Mercedes is not that difficult.

My CPA drives his leased/fully tax deductible CL-550 @$1200 a month, while his daughter in USC drives a leased C-300 @$355 a month paid by her part time job. There's a Mercedes for everyone. :)

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

It's just plain damn stupid to take out a low down, long-term car loan. Any car loan over 5 years without a huge down is asking to be up-side-down the entire term of the loan. Mercedes a good car? Sure. Is it a great car...well, not from a frequency of repair rate. Many young people have no concept of delayed gratification or real value. The fact that a dealership would sell under those terms speaks volumes about why we are in the condition we are as a nation. Shame on those young buyers for being so economically naive. Shame on those dealers for making a buck on rubes.

8. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Interesting comments about the foreign works of art. Keep one long enough to require some major service and you'll really dig deep and the guy with the Ford Exploder (no typo) will have to sell his first born if he ever needs tranny work.

9. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

They are about to file bankruptcy and want a new car before beginning the journey. Most of the attorneys I know recommend you borrow all you can before you file.

It's either that or they think The Big 0 is going to save us all. Naw they can't be that stupid or can they?

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I guess I'll just keep driveing my 1990 Mercedes 300 Turbo D (206,000 miles) another 19 years. No major repairs. No rattles or squeeks. 34-36 mpg city/highway since new, and still looks good. There is a good reason to buy Mercedes, at least I'm a believer.

11. pdq

pdq Member

Shot410ga:

My experience is like yours. Very long-lived cars, and if you are mechanically inclined, they are very easy to work on as you can buy excellent factory manuals.

I buy the big S class models, currently driving a '98 S500 with 135k miles, bought when it had 45k. These cars depreciate like crazy when first new, so my approach is to buy one from the end of that models production run, when it is 5 years old with 45-50,000 miles on it from a MB dealership for about 1/3rd of it's original price. I then spend another $2k to extend the StarMark warranty out to 3 years / 100k miles. So, for about $32-$33k, I get a low mileage carefully cared for car with a comprehensive factory warranty. I then drive them until they have 190 - 200,000 miles on them. They can go for halg again to twice that much before needing engine work, but I've only 1 car as a daily driver, so I need it to be very reliable.

Reliable, comfortable, and very safe. In my previous car ('90 560SEL) I was rear-ended twice while stopped in traffic; first was a truck skidding on wet roads, second was an inattentive driver that hit me at about 40MPH. Hard enough that it broke the engine off its motor mounts and made me feel a bit woozy, but I opened the door normally and got out. The Toyota Camry? Not so lucky. Front end destroyed, hood buckled to the point you couldn't see the people inside, doors wouldn't open. People had to push the release button from outside while people inside kicked. I didn't realize the motor mounts had broken other than the gas pedal linkage was binding, so I drove my car away while they waited for the flatbed.

I'm good friends with the Service Manager of a large dealership nearby. In talking with him on a couple of occassions, he echos a comment made above, namely that the new C class is proving to be highly reliable, almost no warranty work. He says they only see the cars for scheduled maintenance, new wiper blades, etc. Once these cars are 3 - 5 years old and have suffered depreciation, they will be excellent value for the money.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.