1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT. Mechanics/ need some advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I have a 2002 FX 4x4 (Ford). I have a rubber block/spacer that came off my truck. I don't know what it's called. Took it to an Auto Parts store, couldn't help. This rubber block appears to be bolted on the frame under the bed. It is NOT a coil spacer! There is a metal bracket that comes up to bump against it when the shock absorber is depressed. What is this called and does anyone know where I can get a replacement?
    It measures approx. 2 1/2"(L) x 1 1/2"(w) x 2" high. The base is flat where it was bolted and rusted off of the frame. The top is rounded.
    Thank You in advance

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Go to a scrap yard or to a Ford dealer and get one. I have taken many beds off and I know what you mean but forget the name of the runner bumper

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I know less than nothing about Fords but it sounds like a suspension jounce bumper that cushions the impact of the suspension bottoming out.

Ed

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

From what you're describing, it sounds like one of the rubber stops (joust bumper) that is attached to the top of the rear axle. A picture would help.

Jb

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Sounds like a suspension stop/bumper.

Essentially they are a 'last resort' for bottoming out the suspension. When the suspension has gone through it's complete travel these act to cushion the final shock the truck is about to take - it helps to absorb some of the energy and decrease risk of damage to the vehicle and increase passenger comfort.

Where it goes depends on the vehicle, they may rest between axle and body, bed and axle, suspension parts and frame, etc.

Either a picture, or a visit to the local Ford dealer - ask the service manager what you have.

I suspect it's shape is triangular - about two inches wide on a side and maybe four inches long - two sides will be solid rubber, and the third will have a metal plate with two bolts to hold it in place.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

We alwaays called it a "strike out stop" used to keep metal from emtal in a complete suspension colapse. Try a junk yard first then a Ford dealer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.