1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Man with gun stops robbery

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cwh, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwh

cwh TS Member

WEAPONS OF CHOICE
    Shopper pulls gun, stops robbery cold
    Held suspect at grocery store until police officers arrived

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posted: January 2, 2008
    5:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2008 WorldNetDaily.com

A grocery store customer in Indianapolis is being credited with halting an armed robbery by pulling his own weapon and pointing it at the assailant until police arrived.

According to a report in the Indianapolis Star, Charlie Merrell, 51, was in a checkout line at a grocery store called Bucks IGA on the city's south side when a "masked man jumped a nearby counter and held a gun on a store employee."

The police report cited by the newspaper said the incident happened at 5:17 in the afternoon Monday as Merrell was doing some year-end shopping.

"While the suspect was demanding cash from the workers," according to the police report, "Merrell pulled his own handgun, pointed it at the robber and ordered him to put down his weapon."

(Story continues below)

The newspaper noted that Officer Jason Bockting, in his documentation of the incident, said when the suspect seemed to hesitate, "Merrell racked the slide on his gun to load a round in the chamber."

At that point, the report said, "the suspect placed his gun and a bag of cash on the counter, dropping some of the money … the suspect removed his mask and lay on the floor."

Merrill, meanwhile, held the suspect at gunpoint until officers arrived and took him away in handcuffs.

Police reported Merrell had a valid permit to carry the handgun, and they recovered an unloaded .380-caliber handgun and $779 cash from the suspect.

Police records show Dwain Smith, 19, was being held in the Marion County Jail on a bond of $30,000 on initial charges of robbery, criminal confinement, pointing a firearm, battery and carrying a handgun without a license.

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What was he doing racking the slide? Ya mean he was carring a gun that wouldn't go "BANGGGGGGGG"

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, he was one very lucky guy since both miscreant and hero were not prepared for an immediate shot. But kudos to him anyway....Bob Dodd

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I notice the major broadcast and newspaper media picked this up and ran it as their feature story.

Not.

5. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

What an idiot. Lets see, pull an unloaded gun and point it at a guy who already has his gun out. Lucky he isn't dead. He should have gotten some training with that license. Dumb. Gary L.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

f##ker would have gotten on the ground with a round in his Kneecap just as easy.

Guy's lucky he had a dumb one.

HM

7. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

Should happen more often, but packing a unloaded gun is like showing up at a gun-fight with a club....Rick

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What was this animal doing loose on bail for a prior. They want more gun laws bur refuse to inforce the ones we have.

9. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid."

AJ100

10. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

doggy, NO SHIT!

I didn't say I carried it empty. Pretty tough to carry a revolver empty with six rounds in it. I wouldn't have HELD the guy. I would have shot him.

AJ100

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

gotcha JF, I wonder what that guy was thinking, KNOWING he didn't have one in the chamber when he told this dirtbag to "put down his weapon". Isn't that known as condition 3 carry? I think I read a long time ago that is how the IDF or the Mossad carried their Brownings. When they did use the High Power.

AJ100

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The guy should be seen as an example of what not to do rather then held up as some sort of hero. The guy was a dumb ass and could have got somebody killed with that stupid stunt. An unloaded handgun is like a condom with a hole in it. What is the point? I am glad he got away with it and that he stopped the robbery but it wasn't his money being stolen and his actions might have caused the guy to shoot and his second shot would have been at him with the unloaded automatic or he might have killed some innocent bi-stander. It would have been fine if he would have been ready and had a round in the chamber but what he did was plain DUMB. Jeff

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Here's another one I like.

"The problem isn't easy access to guns, but easy access to oxygen. Certain people shouldn't be breathing."

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.