1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT making my computer faster again

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by msmith, Jan 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msmith

msmith Member

Hello, My kids computer- a gateway with windows 2000 is getting slow. How can I speed it up to where it use to be. I have cleared out the cookies, files and history and restarted it. what else can I do? . My computer is a mac so I need to be educated a little on the gateway. Thanks, Mike

2. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Get the kids a Mac!

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A registry cleaner might help. There are a couple of free ones out there.

Adding memory is always good, too.

HM

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, we need to know more about the machine - if it is running Windows 2000 the assumption is that it is old.

How fast is the processor - what type is it? How much RAM is on board? How big is the hard drive, and how full is it (as a %)?? How old is your kid and what is the machine being used for?

I would suggest you start here - http://www.glaryutilities.com/ - it is free, and a great product for getting 'junk' out of a PC. I am assuming that it has a fair amount of malware/spyware/etc. on board at the moment and this will help with all of that.

I suspect that IF IT IS WORTH UPGRADING RATHER THAN REPLACING the computer you will most likely need to add more RAM and defragment the hard drive. This is not hard to do - it does take time and some $$ for the memory.

David D

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

David D., I just scanned my computer with Regcure and it shows it has over 1200 errors. I have Mcafree and spybot already on my computer and don't know if it is safe to finish with the regcure. So far it also doesn't indicate a cost. Do you now what the fee is? Thanks Jackie B.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Regcure is great for finding and cleaning up problems. It keeps the computer running at top speed. I have it installed. It's $30 for a 1 year subscription.

Eric

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Eric, do you anything else like Mcafree and spybot? Jackie B.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Jackie B,

Sorry, I am not specifically familiar with Regcure - my only caution to you is that Spybot, Mcafee, etc. tend to NOT like being on the same computer together - they tend to not play well together. You should only have one active at a time (It is OK to have them and use them - just not at the same time).

I think your caution is well thought out. Typically these programs will return you computer to a state without spyware, etc. installed, so I suspect you will be OK

I might try the Glary utilities I mention above - it really is simple and I've never seen it 'hurt' a machine.

Or you might try 'Blink' from e-eye (www.eeye.com) - this compares operations processes - kind of cool in how it works. It monitors what goes on in the machine and compares this to what is expected - if there is a discrepancy (i.e., an unwanted line of code) it tells you. Typically these lines are spyware or malware, etc.

Both Glary and Blink are free.

Good luck,

David D

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Shooting Jack,

I've got a couple of programs that run automatically in the background that a knowledgeable computer friend installed to keep the evil spirits away. Don't know exactly which they are but they seem to do the job. I added regcure about a month ago and there is a marked difference in before and after speed. I run a regcure scan once a week just to be safe.

Eric

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Mike, I've had to deal with kids as well. I uninstalled all their software and turned off all startups. Startups that are needed were be turned back on automatically.

They just put their music download software back on so the next time I do this, I'll leave that one alone. It's a process.

I also turned off non Microsolft services, but then my internet access went away and I couldn't start Word. Turned services back on until Word and the Net came back. Symantec services embed themselves with MS services, apparently.

Specific directions:

Uninstall questionable software from the Control Panel / Add or Remove Programs.

Then deal with startups and services. Click on the Start button, Run, and type in MSCONFIG. Startups and Services are on the right.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Joe

11. msmith

msmith Member

Thanks for the help.I used hslds advice. Worked excellent. I ended up purchasing the program. All is good. Thanks again, Mike

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I thought is was free. Went through the install process and dead ended where they ask for a one time fee. What am I missing?

13. calilori

calilori TS Member

Ok, somebody give me some advice here. It says that I have over 7000 File/Path Reference errors. What does this mean exactly? How is this hurting/helping my computer? I don't want to do more harm than good with this. I count on my computer for my writing and can't afford to mess anything up. If I clear this stuff what will the effect be?

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Calilori,

If you're talking about regcure it will not mess up anything. All it will do is to remove errors that are like little speed bumps in the road. Once the "bumps" are removed the road is smoother and faster.

Eric

15. calilori

calilori TS Member

Yeah, I'm talking about RegCure but it scared me with all the warnings about knowing what you are removing before you remove it.

16. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Get your computer cleaned of SPYWARE (people who are spying on your computer) That will slow down your computer greatly. Clean out your cookes. Doing both will help you greatly. I learned the hard way myself. I now do it every Sun morning whether I need it or not. Its worth what ever you pay for it. Do not get the cheap ones either get the good ones. My mother took what Dell sent here in the way of anti virus and she got a virus. I told her to get Norton. I had my head handed to me with Dell knows more then you. The service man came out and took her computer and cleaned everything out and re did eveything. He ask what anti virus did she have and again said Dells antivirus. He said OK I put a better antivirus on your computer and thats Norton. I kept my mouth shut for all reasons. Boy was I wanting to laugh.

17. Tom_OH

Tom_OH TS Member

Check out tuneup utilities - it comes as a full functional trial and should work for the initial cleanup/performance boost. It creates registry backups when cleaning it up, so there is not a lot of risk that things get destroyed.
    Spybot search and destroy is also good to have. If the performance is primarily related to the internet explorer, try Google's Chrome browser - it is much faster.

Here the links:
    http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/
    http://www.spybot.com/en/index.html
    http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html

On the technical more advances side, you may want to check if your disk drive is running in Ultra-DMA mode. This can be done in the device manager. Sometimes when a hardware defect on the disk drive is being detected, the drive switches to a slower PIO mode - in that case you can switch it back to UDMA but if it then goes back to PIO with an week or earlier, I would recommend replacing the hard drive.

Sorry if it is too technical...

Tom

18. mike31z

mike31z Member

Here a link to Downloads.com it has all sorts of computer programs to help you maintain your computer. They are also rated by the users and editor staff.

The Glary Register repair is an excellent program for free that has helped me keep my computers operating effecently for 2 years (They have updated their program a couple of times) They also make a (Free) Glary Utility that includes the registery repair. http://www.GlaryUtilities.com

Another good program is called "CA Yahoo! Anti-Spy" It was/is a free down load with Yahoo toolbars. The trick is to down load install both then uninstall the yahool toolbars the anti-spy is a seperate program. I run it manually everyday it only takes 1-3 minutes and clears out all tracking cookies which are tracking your internet movements.

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If my memory serves me correctly, the MSCONFIG is not available in 2000. You can download and install it so you can use it. Go to the above site and download and install it.

Also when was the last time you ran Disk Defrag? That is the one program that nobody seems to remember to run and one of the most important. Go to start>programs>accessories>system tools>disk clean up, then disk defragmenter. Run disk cleanup first(check all boxes) and then defrag. it may take awhile to run if you have not done so in awhile.

Hope this helps... Jerbear

20. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

A fast hard drive is a empty hard drive. So if you’ve got an hard drive full to the brim, delete the programs and games you don’t need to speed up your computer.

You can also change some of the Visual Effects settings on your computer to speed things up a bit. Just go to Help on your computer and do a search on Visual Effects to find the ones that you can change for faster performance.

(This is in addition to some of the suggestions above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.