1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-M1Garand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have an unfired Springfield Armory D-Day edition --one of 1944 made---it is unfired---If I shoot it ---how much of its value as a collectible will I lose.

Lou

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Why risk it? Get a beater for about $800 and shoot it to your heart's content.

Best,
    Dennis

3. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Absolutely the best military fighting weapon ever made..

Trap-4

4. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am a long time dealer and I can speak from experience. If you shoot a limited edition gun, it will be worth the same as the standard issue gun in fired condition. People that buy these guns for collecting want them unfired in the box with all paperwork and accessories. It is your gun and you can do what you want; however you will decrease the value when you fire it.
    Fred

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My wife owns #1313. It is not for sale and remains unfired!!

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There are other M1's worth just as much, and you can fire them. I have a 1944 version that has match sights (175.00 adder) all markings correct, yours for $1100.00 and it was appraised for 1250 2 years ago.

HM

7. len w

len w TS Member

Texshooter, I don't know what for M-1 you shoot, But I took basic at Ft Dix in Dec 62 and carried one and shot many rounds thru it. It was smooth shooting, didn't jump? and I never missed a pop-up at 300 yds. Yes, it was heavy, and after I shot for record, I switched to left hand and the clips used to bounce off my helmut. No big thing! Transfered to Germany and was Issued an M-14. I wished I had my M-1 back. IMHO. Thanks, len w

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Lou, you can do what you want, it's your rifle, but if I had spent the money on one of those Springfields I wouldn't shoot it. IF, you ever decided to sell it, it would be tough enough to sell it unfired let alone fired.

If you have the money, join the CMP and buy yourself a M1 that is USGI. Go to their site and research all the different grades they have.

This is what you get from the CMP for UNDER $800.00

5.9M serial range Springfield Service Grade. $633.00 Tax included

New CMP walnut stock set. $128.90

$761.90

MW and TE both under 1.5

She shoots a LOT better than I do. 3" at 100 yrds off the bags. I plan on shooting her more next summer. I think I can do better.

[​IMG]

Tom Vogt(AJ100)

[​IMG]

9. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I own the M1 D-Day edition, I want to give a retired Marine 1st Sgt. the pleasure of shooting a Garand again. I shot on the 3rd Naval District team over 40 years ago & I don't have to shoot a M1 to know what it is about. Just trying to give an Old Leatherneck a thrill. He says after 2 rds he be at home again.

Lou

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

AJ: What does "MW and TE both under 1.5" mean?

11. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Muzzle Wear and Throat Erosion

Lower the number, better the barrel.

Tom(AJ100)
    [​IMG]

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I,m lucky to have two very clean M1 Garands . Once a year I get one out and put 200 or 300 rounds down range and I,m good for a year

13. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

Personally I'd shoot it and enjoy it. UNFIRED is highly over rated.

FN in MT

14. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Lou, If you want to try something, go to the CMP site, get on the forum, and tell the guys there what you would like to do. I would be willing to bet that if someone in your area has a Garand (some of these guys own 20 or more) they would be more than happy to meet you at a local range and let your pal shoot one. Even if you pay them for the ammo, it is only $5.00 or so per box. If I was close enough to you he could shoot all he wanted for nothing. When I went to the North store to pick out my rifle I came back with 1728 rounds.

It IS a sickness. LOL

Good Luck, Tom(AJ100)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.