1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- LP HEATERS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I need to replace a portable Kerosene heater in an outbuilding . I use this building to service and wash my car and trucks in the winter . The building is less then 1000 sq foot but need to be heated up fast .

The heater I have now is kerosene and 55,000 btu. nipco and is not doing the job to small . I,m thinking of buying an portable LP heater in around 125,000 btu size . I have an LP gas line in the building that I can use in place of a small tank ?? Does anyone have an idea of the cost to run this LP heater for say two hours ? Is it more or less then kerosene to run ?

I never like kerosene ( the smoke-smell-cost) But I have never used a Nipco heater in PL gas (Mr. Heater brand) .

ALF

2. raymerlo

raymerlo Member

Check out northern tool for lp gas heaters,went from electric and wood to lp vent free over two years now good results

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Check out WW.GRAINGERS for furnaces, remember if installing in a garage it needs to be a certain distance off the floor, I don't have my CODE BOOK but if memory serves me right at least 18 inches off the floor, You can put it up on a stand or use a ceiling mount hanging UNIT HEATER.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Gary I don,t need a furnace I,m not putting it in a garage per-say. Also we don,t have a CODE BOOK ?? I need a portable heater I move this thing around . My question was-is anyone used an LP-heater like this and how is the cost ??

raymerlo I,m looking at Northern now . They have a LP- heater portable that goes from 75,000 to 125,000 btu and that is about the size I need .

5. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

How do you have a "LP gas line in the building" since LP gas (Propane) is in liquid form and not distributed by lines? Do you want a LP heater or a natural gas one? If it's natural gas, do you plan on using a very long hose to make it portable?

As far as energy costs go electricity is by far the most expensive, followed by LP gas. Natural gas is generally by far the cheapest of the fossil fuels used for heat.

6. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

RickN is exactly right. I have had an LB White heater in my garage for ten years. I keep the temp at 50 in the winter. This thing will heat the garage up almost immediately and is a ventless unit. It has a pilot, and when the squirrel cage blower kicks on, the burner flips on and it really blows heat. Mine is a model 346J, rated at 60000btu. I love it and they are really safe. These heaters are mostly used in livestock barns, so they've been at it awhile.

7. sting

sting TS Member

Delbert, I have two Propane 100 gal tanks that are fed to my Propane furnace in my house by a gas line. My Tralier has two 30 lb Propane tanks that are fed to the stove and furnace by a Propane gas line. Could you clarify what you mean by "LP gas line in the building"?
    Thanks Sting

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Delbert it's quite simple, lp appliances run off vapor, not liquid, so generally they use a copper line to get it to the building, as the tank is supposed to be 25 feet from the building. We have 5 1,000 gallon tanks for shops and the house.

Alf 99, there are approx 90,000 btu per gallon of lp, so if you got a 100,000 btuh heater it would take a little over a gallon an hour.

As for the price of lp, you'll need to price it, the last time I looked at the futures they were about .57 per gallon, but here's the big hose job, it was $1.90 per gallon here in N Texas.

And LB Whites are very good heaters, I have worked on them for years, and if they can stand a hog house a garage is a cake walk, and they are quite simple.

The only down side to an LB White is if it's real cold out, the vehicle will sweat when you first bring it in, until it warms up, but unless it's vented they all do.

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Catpower Thanks . I had an LB White and it was not big enough also it gave-up this fall . I,m looking at a Mr. Heat LP heater in Northern Tool For $199.00 75,000 to 125,000 btu like a Kerosene Knipco only LP .

I would like to use the Gas line in the building but also move it to other building if I need to .

Propane is alot cheaper then kerosene around here Indiana . Less then $1.50 a gal . Kerosene is around $189.00 .

I,m going to talk to my LP gas man tomorrow and see what he thinks .

ALF

10. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Sorry, sting, I thought you were confusing natural gas with LP. My bad.

It's really easy to figure out how much heating with LP gas will cost since each gallon contains 91,502 BTU or 21,548 BTU per pound. Same thing for kerosene since each gallon produces 134,000 BTU or 46% more than LP.

The simple way to compare the costs of the 2 is to compare the difference in price you will be paying and and as long as kerosene costs less than 46% more per gallon than LP, it is cheaper to heat with it. If the differential is more than 46%, then LP is cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

run lb white heater on small tank