1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Looking for British Lab Breeder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

We had to unexpectedly put down our British Lab last weekend due to a rare spinal injury. I'm starting the search for another pup. Let me know if you know of any quality english/british lab breeders that raise dogs for the field and family. Not looking for a show dog.

2. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

My observations after just getting a new lab. You want to look up your local labrador clubs, and find a reputable breeder that takes proper care and intelligence in their breeding, not just a backyard breeder. Depending on what you want, English labs that from a show dog breeder might be a little less energetic than one from a field dog breeder. I just got a pup from a show dog breeder that is a little of both, and has champion lines way back to England. He's very smart, and I'm training him to be a duck and upland game dog as well as a family dog. He's doing very well, and I work pretty hard with him. I trained our previous family lab pretty well the same way. He was more of a field dog though, and had energy to spare. Since getting this new lab, and doing my research, I've learned more about training in the past month than all twelve years I had our previous dog.
    Do yourself a favor and get some books on training labs. You have to find a breeder that has worked with the puppies in their first 8 weeks, not just left in a kennel, and you need to know that your puppy will need a lot of bonding and training from 8 to 18 weeks in stages. By 16 weeks their brains are fully developed and if trained to learn early, they will learn well their whole lives. I got some books by Richard Wolters that explain teaching your puppy pretty well.

3. BudLight

BudLight Member

UpNorthMN, I agree with magnumshot. Check with your local retriever club. Go to one of their training days. Just like trap shooters, some of the nicest people you will ever meet!! Ron

4. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Let me know if Dudley can be of any assistance. LOL
    sirmissalott_2008_030310.jpg

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Having been in the field trial game for 30 years with English Springer Spaniels, breeding is everything. Stick with the English bred working dogs. I would rather have the drive, focus, nose of a dog out of working lines. Find local clubs that are into field trial dogs... both sire and dame. Watch them work. Then make your selection. Breeding is EVERYTHING!! Fred

6. clayshooter555

clayshooter555 TS Member

You have a PM.

7. krieghoff80

krieghoff80 Member

I got mine from river chase labs in south carolina......she a really good dog ...try their website...
    Great pictures of the puppies......good luck

8. setool

setool Member

www.captainskennels.com ,

I have them saved in by favorites, but I can only hope I won't need them anytime soon. My Baby isn't from them, In fact she came from one of my best friends Sire and dam. Unfortunately, they are not here for us anymore... Happy Pond in the Sky. ButI have done a TON of research, and when Maddie's time comes for her to go back with Momma and Pop's, well, this is where I'll be heading to. (Madison is only 7 years old, so I hope I'm not heading there anytime soon).

Mark Schneider

9. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have spoken to a dozen breeders over the past week, and they pretty much confirm what magnumshot said. Engish labs tend to be more for show, British more for field, and this time I want field. Thanks for all your advice.

10. raziz

raziz TS Member

There is a great breeder in Plainfield ,Vermont , Lily Hill kennels . Bought a English setter pup from them. They breed great labs and setter pups check out their website . lilyhillkennels

11. tj303

tj303 Member

I have a female from Wildrose Kennels. http://www.uklabs.com She has the best nose of any dog I have owned and is also the friendliest. Loves to hunt, wants to be your best friend.

12. Joe O

Joe O Member

I sent you a PM. I'm near St Cloud and have one that's 1/2 British. From Fischer's here. Exceptional dog. I don't know what more you'd want.

13. 500sks

500sks Member

I have a English lab from http://www.goldberry.net/
    Best dog I have ever owned. Smart, calm, great hunter. What more do you want.

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I wonder if they have ever gotten any good british choc labs into this country

15. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Sally Bell, Powell, Ohio breeds Eng. labs, also, a good breeder in Mich.

There is a breeder of Pointing Labs in Ill. that was at the Cardinal waterfowl show a couple of years ago, very good dogs.

I'm sure someone can give you the above names I cant remember.

Regards....Gerald

16. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'll second Wildrose. We got our last lab from there and if I got another, no question where I would go. Very caring breeder and outstanding trainer. Hal Hitchcock

17. butcher

butcher Member

Dan Irke of Greenacres Hunt Club in Illinois.

18. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Here is an outstanding breeder of British Labs:

http://britishlabradors.com/

The kennel is owned by Dennis and Jan Anderson. You may recognize Dennis' name, he is the Outdoor Editor of the Minneapolis-Star Tribune. If you live near Houghton, WI you can take a drive over and see him and Jan. These are gundogs, bred to hunt and please the owner. They are also great companions.

Walter

19. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I have had a pup from Dennis and Jan and now I have a trained dog they imported for me from Scottland. You won't find better breeders to deal with.

Mark Zauhar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.