1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Looking for a Small Hydraulic Shock Absorber

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

I am looking around for a small shock absorber for a project gun I have going this year. As you can guess, it is to build my own recoil reducer on my own design. I've looked around the internet and can't seem to find any to suit my needs, which are: withstand shotgun recoil (of an 8 lb gun), have a relatively short stroke and cost under $50. Anyone know where I can find one? Thanks, Josh.

2. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

jolly, you could make your own out of a small air cylinder, by running a line from the front port to the rear port, then you can put an adjustable restrictor in the line (small needle valve) that could be adjusted to speed up or slow down.

tony

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Go to the local auto parts store and look at hood stays for a newer vehicle.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

there ia a company that makes air struts. check the net. they come in all sizes. motordoc

5. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for the help. I've been keeping an eye open on Feebay, but otherwise I'll just keep searching. Anyone happen to know the physics on the recoil of a shotgun? How much force a 1200 fps load generates out of an 8 pound gun? Or, just what is the max pressure I would need a absorber to go to? Thanks, Josh.

6. wanderer

wanderer Member

Recently got a hydraulic cylinder for a RAD recoil unit, from an installer, Tom Larkin, price was $50.00. Should be able to adapt it to your unit. GEG.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks Eddie, that was exactly what I was looking for. Josh

8. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

What you are looking for is an "ACE" shock absorber. One of the places you can get them is REID SUPPLY out of Michigan.

OB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.