1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Look what a year can do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by luvnbearhugs1, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I posted this almost a year ago. It is still true to some extent. I have not been following the conversations here because they have become droll and petty. People are outwardly attacking others for no other reason than the satisfaction of knowing they can. Posters who used to frequent this board are sitting back and waiting for the natural attrition to happen.

Wake up and smell the brake fluid people!! Trapshooters.com will die off and be only a memory if you do not step up to the plate and be man (or woman) enough to act in a mature manner. Would you speak to your kids or your family like you have spoken to others online here? Would you do so if they knew your real name and where you live? For goodness sakes, learn to be kind to one another!! Next year when winter rolls around you might not have those people in your life that you cherish. Some of those cherished people might just be members of this board. Live and love them while you can. Nothing else truly matters.

Stop the madness.

Luvn

Subject: OT/ Please don't open if you dislike OT Posts
    Email: luvnbearhugs@yahoo.com
    Image:
    Date: 31-Jan-07 - 04:36 PM MT

(Disclaimer:) This posting, and the guaranteed subsequent postings, is completely OFF TOPIC from trapshooting. If you opened this off topic thread and are not interested in the subject, I invite you NOT to open it again. I have made every effort to warn you before you opened the thread the first time. This is a long posting, and for that I apologize. If you want to write a personal flaming post, do not put it in the public forum but email it to me at the email address above. If you post a negative response publicly, most likely you will be answered publicly.

I joined this forum under another name in May of 2006. I did not contribute to any of the threads, in fact I posted maybe 4 postings in the time between then and December 2006. I didn’t post, because I didn’t have much to add to the threads. I was not a trap shooter and I didn’t know much if anything about it. The reason I joined the board was to learn about trapshooting and determine if I thought it was something I wanted to do. The reason I stayed is because of the feeling of friendship I got from reading the off topic postings of a large group of people online. I decided that if I wanted to trap shoot, then I would actively get into this community for the sport, and the social aspect was icing on the cake.

From the very first time I started reading the threads, what I found interesting and what intrigued me the most, was not just the willingness of total strangers to spend time helping people new to the sport, but the evident camaraderie among the many posters on the forum. You (meaning the posters of this board) don’t always get to meet in person, yet you build online friendships that are warm, funny and to a lurker like me, enviable. I had been a member of online social communities since the late 80’s, but with the onslaught of online services like AOL in the 90’s, the “community” feel of online forums is long gone. Myspace.com comes close, but still misses the boat somewhat. What I witnessed here on trapshooters.com seemed like a resurrection of the online community I enjoyed so long ago. I was happy and looked forward to reading all the OT posts and as many of the other posts as I could. Many of the more technical posts were way over my head, but I still read the strings from time to time, to allow some of the information to absorb.

During this past summer, the highlight for me was Luv Fest Fridays. I looked forward to every weekend, cruising through the luv fest posts to see the jokes and the good natured barbs, and the amazingly large group of people who appeared to be friends. Friends ready to fight the beast if someone was attacked, help someone trying to stop a flinch, be a gentle ear to listen to a problem, or shoot a few and then toss back a cold one when the day is through. Even if time did not permit me to follow the threads all week long, I always read the threads on Friday night or Saturday. It was a ritual. One I was sad to see fade away, and even sadder when I learned the reason why.

It appears that there were people who didn’t like the OT posts, and some of those people vehemently opposed the luv fest Friday’s. It was said that this discussion forum was designed to be used for discussions about trap shooting only, insinuating that off topic postings some how dilute the purpose of trapshooters.com. Well I can only tell you from my experience that if it were not for the off topic jokes, luv fest Fridays and friendships I watched develop online, I would probably not have decided to try trapshooting. There is a chance I would have done it anyway. More likely, I would have walked away.

This group, by example, has led people into a sport that some say is dying mostly by recognizing that David doesn’t do this because it’s a money-making venture, but instead out of love for the sport. As a community, you all bring people in to trapshooting in one way or another. Yes, much of it through the introduction of shooting to a friend or co-worker, or random discussions about wads and primers and Remington versus Kolar. However, I believe more people are introduced to the sport the way I was, through watching many discussions about someone’s new grandbaby, offering a joke of the day, giving high fives and congratulations for a 25 straight and then offering to help shoot the ugliest hat in the world, granting the wishes of a kid who wants to learn to shoot, easing someone through the pain and tears of losing a loved one, a child, a beloved pet, and many other peripheral discussions that eventually lead into the big one, 7.5 or 8.

I would like to see that camaraderie return to trapshooters.com. There are some heated discussions and a lot of discord going on now. Perhaps it’s cabin fever setting in. While there will always be disagreements, I would like to see the return of healthy discussion tempered with the respect and concern for others. Be gone the attitudes and bring back the sense of community. I would like to see it start with the return of Luv Fest Friday. Everyone looks forward to Friday because with the weekend comes the chance to shoot. I would love to see a thread every week around Thursday or Friday that begins with what people are doing for the weekend, (where you are shooting and location, in case folks want to meet up) and end with everyone sharing something funny, or moving, informative or just plain silly. I invite all of the people who used to be involved in these off topic discussions to come back, and to those of you who want to bash or flame these posters, feel free to send your complaints to me at the email above.

With that being said, this Friday and every Friday, Let the Luv Flow!!!!

Luvnbearhugs.

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7-1/2's or 8's? Anything else is a moot point!

Curt

3. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

MIA,

I am not trying to start up the Luv Fest Friday again. But people need to see that it shouldn't be only on Friday. Whatever happened to respect? There is a lot of anger and malice going on here online and it needs to stop.

One voice is all it takes to start.

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

luvnbearhugs1,
    I was one of the ones that made a joke of your love fest Fridays, but I now see that you are a sincere person and hope that this site will become something you again enjoy. Good loving and shooting in 2008. Ben

5. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Folks,

It's just sad. If you do nothing else today, take the time to say one nice thing about another person. Might do you a lot of good.

Today, Quack Shot shot a 23. Might not seem like too much to many of you, but he did that in <30 degree weather using a cane to get from post to post. In two weeks he goes in for hip replacement surgery. He's a trooper!! Good Shot Ducky!!

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Well, for one, I think that this is an excellent post.

Great shooting Quack Shot, hope that everything goes well with the hip and keep up the shooting and most importantly, have a GREAT time while you are doing it!

Thanks LTBH's

John

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hiya...long live LFF!!!

(Sorry I missed the date...I've been avoiding the site because of the nasties).

8. Hey Joe

Hey Joe TS Member

a-year, well i learned the hairy-legged rascal was a
    good looking women,great shot, and learned it all in
    a hurry. that is what you get from someone who did
    not belive it could happen. i have filtered out the
    sickys, don't open there threads and come up with a
    great bunch here, lots of ideas, and yes even helping
    this old hard head that i still do not know it all.

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I didn't avoid the site because of the problem children, I just think it's sad that they have had such a profound effect on this site. Heck, let them do whatever and ignore them!! Where's that picture Quack has about not feeding the trolls? LOL

Good to see you all out and about and this spring who knows! Maybe I'll be out shooting with you.

Have a great Sunday what's left of it!

Luvn

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Well, I have made some of the best friendships I have today on ts.com (and amongst trap shooters in general). One of these days, this hairly-legged creature is hoping to shoot with Joe.

Luvn, will this pic do?

11. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Recurvy!

I think I dated that guy once (shudder)

Take care, stay warm, we need to catch up!

Luvn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.