1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- load up on your incandescent lamps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, Dec 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

In a few years incandescent lamps will be a thing of the past---if you have recessed lighting, get your floods--especially if you have them controlled with a dimmer- also if you have incandescent fan'light combos (bath fans), ceiling paddle fans,etc. the era of contolled mood lighting is gone--& you will have to wait a few minutes for the cfl to come full brightness---they are only good for lamps that are left on for more than 15 minutes at a time----Phil

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pretty soon, LED's (light emitting diodes) may indeed be the lighting source of choice. Much more efficient than fluorescent or incandescent.

Remember the red readout display on the old Texas Instruments calculators?

Same technology, only more advanced.

Right now the cost to manufacture is the hurdle.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

"Let there be light".......whatever!

4. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

A good percentage of new cars use LED's for marker lights ---are they dimable?---Drug dealers will have to compete with guys selling illegal incandescent lamps, just think we'll need another 100,000 police to stop bulb smuggling-----Phil

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Reminds me of the State Traffic Engineer I used to work with during the summers while attending college.

He told me to unload all my silver quarters because he was a coin collector> He felt the American public would never accept but only reject the "new" laminated nickle/copper quarters, making them valuable as a collector.

He unloaded and got all "new" quarters, I didn't.

WW

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"When man runs out of whale oil, the World will be plunged into darkness!"
    Paul Harvey

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yep -- some products keep improving but there are people that just wont believe it- they "listen" to others rather than think for themselves

8. oletymer

oletymer Member

It's about time they started phasing them out. They are a great waste of energy.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

LEDs are dimmable.

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Most of the incandescents available today are junk so I've been replacing everything I can with flourescents...

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I installed a crapload of compact flourescent lights. Most died within six months, and the rest within a year. None had the five year lifespan as claimed, so the bottom line was they never paid for themselves. I went negative on that deal. And, those installed outdoors or in the unheated garage functioned poorly and put out reduced light, plus they flickered.

I'm not interested in CF's until they improve and actually last as long as advertised.

We just put bright white LED lights on our Christmas tree. Those, at least, work. At least this season.

12. Stubbie

Stubbie TS Member

admiral ART

Bet you do not have white ants.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Admiral Art- If you are hoarding any Halon I’ll take some. Sad day when they ripped out the Halon Fire Fighting Systems on the ships in the Navy, but hey we are now saving the hole in the ozone layer right?

At least with the increase in fluorescents the mercury levels will rise again in the oceans. Tuna just has never tasted the same once they took out the mercury and flipper.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Aye Admiral that would be correct but I never did give away your secret on the Word password protected document. BTW good to see you back, hope all is well.

15. larryjk

larryjk Member

I do a lot of checkering. Have you ever tried to checker using florescent lights? Have you ever tried to do detailed machineing using florescent light? I hope someone finds a usable substitute before they ban the incadescent light bulb!

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Larryjk- When I checkered a lot, I did not mind fluorescent lighting on the ceiling but I did have to have an incandescent light in a goose neck lamp directed across the wood.

I do not object to the new fluorescent bulbs for lighting my home. The initial dim light when they are first turned on quickly gets bright enough for me.

Pat Ireland

17. wm rike

wm rike Member

The recessed lighting in my office has compact 5000K fluorescents. Pricey going in, but they're bright, they're white, and I think I've replaced one in the last 5-6 years. I even put one in a ceiling fan in the house. Nobody notices. Unlike incandescents, cold fluorescents may take a moment to warm up and attain full brightness, but hey, big deal.

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Larryjk, quote: "I do a lot of checkering. Have you ever tried to checker using florescent lights? Have you ever tried to do detailed machineing using florescent light? I hope someone finds a usable substitute before they ban the incadescent light bulb!"

I installed 300 watt halogen flood fixtures in my garage, one aimed at the work area on my milling machine, and two aimed into the area where an engine compartment would be. I have some large multi-bulb flourescent fixtures, but in cold weather they dim and flicker so bad they're annoying. I figure the heat the 300 watters throw off won't go to waste either.

19. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

WHEN I WENT TO WORK FOR G E 20 YEARS AGO,MAKING INCANDESANT LIGHT BULBS. IT WAS A MATTER OF TIME & THERE WOULD BE NONE! WE WOULD HAVE TO MAKE A DIFFERNT TYPE OF BULB OR BE OUT OF A JOB. WELL , WE ARE STILL MAKING 2 MILLION OF THEM A DAY AT OUR PLANT? WHERE ELSE ARE YOU GOING TO GET 4 FOR $1.00
    THANKS
    JR

20. hoghunter

hoghunter Member

WINCHESTER LAMP PLANT, ITS THE WORLDS LARGEST LAMP PRODUCER, THEY OPENED ONE IN CHINA & MONTERAY MEXICO & SHUT DOWN ST LOUIS PLANT. THEY SAY IT WILL BE 5-10 YEARS TO TEACH MEXICO TO MAKE BULBS?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.