1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT laying ceramic tile???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chiefjon, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am about to try my hand at laying tile. I bought a book, but would like some practical advice. After doing all the prelim work and starting to lay the tile, is it permissable to stop and come back to it the next day. In other words, will you have cracking problems if you leave the job half done. I understand you could not leave mortar on the floor, but if you cleaned right up to the last section of tile, could you start from that point with fresh mortar the next day?

Thanks for any help.

JON

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

What are you laying the tile on ? Very little tile is layed in mortar any more . Most tile get layed in thinset alot better . We do and can stop anytime and come back later . Mortar will not hold like thinset . If it,s outside and weather is a factor use thinset only .

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

unless you're a tiling machine or the job is small, one almost has to break up the job into multiple sections. Try to visualize boundaries where you could stop naturally, so you can break and stretch.

Jay

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is a trapshooting site, but I appreciate threads like this one. Who knows, I may need to lay some tile someday.

Pat Ireland

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

pat stay with shot making not as hard on knees --- chiefjon does not matter on laying the tile but dont try to grout in pieces unless a large area then cut off in straight line keep grout damp if in warm area or will dry to fast and flake out rick

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You can stop and restart anytime you want using thinset. Just clean to the edge of your tile and start again later. Grout however needs to go down the same day and the tile cleaned the same day on small jobs (+/- 500 sf).

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I use this thing called a Juan when installing tile, I send Juan in the area with the theen set and come back later and its done, then the Juan comes and grouts it the next day and I pay Juan when he is done ... I wish I would of thought of this years ago, would of saved a lot of wear and tear on my knees ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. chessney

chessney TS Member

WPT: Does Juan have a green card?...Ziggy

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

WPT, where do you get one, I mean Juan? Can you find one at Home Depot?

10. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Great. Thanks for the input.

JON

11. mike T

mike T Member

Don't forget to get a good tile wet saw. Don't need the top of the line for a few small home jobs. it will save a lot of time and headaches. I have used the scratch and snap cutters, while they work the edges are often times rough an sharp. Once you start you may not be able to stop. I have done all 3 of my bathroom walls and floors, and my ktichen counters and island. all above info is correct.
    mike t

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Yes, he has a GREEN card, some Home Depots have them while others do not ... They are getting a little thin around here since the Laws are being enforced and they are being rounded up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Grout is your friend!Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.