1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Latest Hunter Education class.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by psfive, Aug 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

Here is a picture of our latest Hunter Class. Enjoyed teaching these kids. They were a very good class. Our next class will be sometime in early February. Paul in GINebraska.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  3. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The future of our shooting sports...

Looks like about 1/3 are girls too! Awesome job Paul.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Congratulations and THANKS, we need more that will give their time to educating the younger generation, and their parents are also to be congratulated. Ross Puls

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Good Job Paul, we need to keep the youngin's educated and shooting

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Hey Paul,

Do you still get to use "real" firearms in your classes???

We can't here in WA, if we bring Handguns they have to be registered with the state and be gun smith certified every five years!

State is out of money, but they are out buying $4000 Mossberg inert teaching kits.

7. psfive

psfive Member

timberfaller

Yes we do, we teach our class in one of the middle schools with the blessing of the superintendent. He said any thing I can do to help let me know. We use real guns (long guns and handguns). The nights we have firearms we only have inert ammunition. Some of our instructional ammunition we can't make inert so it goes in on another night.

everyone else

We do it because we think it is important, and necessary. We have never charged for a class. When we graduate our class if they can be brought by a parent out to a corner in the country where we can shoot clay birds we will let any one who graduated the class shoot as our friends. One of our instructors has two 12 volt throwers. We also do this at no charge to the students. Our class "shoot" was last night. We all had a bang up time for two and a half hours. We shot till we had to pick up in the dark. It is a small price to pay to see all the smiles and watch all the kids and parents have a big time. Paul inGINebraska.

8. TC

TC TS Member

Good job Paul! Keep up the good work. Tony

9. timberfaller

I think what we have going on in Washington state is, there is a lawyer or lawyers telling/scaring the Head of Hunter Ed and probably even the Game Commissioner's that they will be libel if any parent brings in a live round and it wind up in a Instructors firearm that he/she is demonstrating proper handling.

I've been a Instructor for 20+ years and don't like seeing what is happening to a Great program.

But this is one of those Blue liberal run states and paranoia runs rampant in Olympia.

10. psfive

psfive Member

So far we have been lucky to be able to use the middle school. Cool and warm when it needs to be, good lights,desks and overhead projectors. All of this right there for us to use. All they ask is that they can announce the class at all the middle schools. They will fill a class for us nearly every time. This last class was a small one. Typically we have around 35 students in a class. Paul in GINebraska.

11. Brian in Oregon

There is a reason for keeping live ammunition away from firearms - functional or not - during training, and that's to be absolutely sure no mistake can be made.

A lot of the hunters safety classes here are held in schools. An accident has the potential to shut this building access down, not to mention the potential for bodily harm.

I witnessed a lot of mistakes being made while students were handling firearms, particularly when trying to lower hammers on a 30-30 or break action hammer shotgun. A live round accidentally being introduced into this mix could be disastrous.

The instructors I've known here do not allow any live ammo whatsoever in their classes. No exceptions. And no firearms can be functional. All have their firing pins removed or rendered inoperable.

And speaking of that, if some of you have old firearms that are worn out or no longer needed, which don't have great value, consider donating them to the hunters safety program. A gunsmith will need to deactivate them, and if that could be done it would save precious dollars for the program.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Good to see some young blood coming in.

13. hoot619

hoot619 Member

when I was taught a few years ago that every gun is treated like a loaded gun.
    That was around 60 years ago. That all a kid needs to know that, this gun won't
    shoot. That is how people get killed or injured. In the school setting what the heck would you need live ammo around during a class? On a range or training site yes. When you are going to show them how to load and shoot. Guns don't
    kill people, people kill people. Ken U

14. timberfaller

Brian,

It has been a standing rule here ever since I've been a Instructor, NO LIVE ammunition.

We use "dummy" ammunition in class rooms here, the last thing I want in class is junk, which these "inert" ones are. Half don't function in explaining and showing the Load/unload.

Its great to pass on Knowledge but it also needs to be in truth.

Our team here puts on 2 classes a year and cap the students at 30. Even with today's negative air from liberals, there is still a High demand for putting on classes.

The Shooting Sports "depends" upon the youth coming in! I can't even get adults to step up and become instructors any more because the powers that be in Olympia have make it to time consuming and to expensive to "Volunteer".

At our last In Service training in April, I watched the 5 year awards past out to a group of guys and gals who looked my age!!! I've got 23 years in already.

Does anyone else see a problem?

Good work Paul, nice looking bunch of kids!!

15. psfive

psfive Member

timberfaller

I have loaded dummy ammunition for our load and unload training. Actual 12 ga shells with used primers and sawdust for powder, real wads and shot. I loaded this into fiocchi hulls that were nearly clear so they can also be used to explain the components of a shot shell. Real feel and they cycle in a pump shotgun, unlike the orange hollow plastic "demos" they send out to use. We (the four other instructors and myself) have put a lot of time and our own money into a class that is informative, complete and educational. A class of 30 to 35 students will produce 8 or 9 100's that many only miss 1 or two the rest will miss less than 5 questions. Paul in GINebraska.

16. Brian in Oregon

I forget who it was, but one of the safety instructors who posts here sent me some 12 and 20 ga dummy shells. These are clear, and you can see the shot and wad material in them. The bases have no primer pocket at all. The clear case is stamped DUMMY. Winchester made these.

17. psfive

psfive Member

We have those in both 12 and 20 gauge. Paul in GINebraska.

18. timberfaller

We have all that here too, it is just NOW we can't use real guns in the class rooms any more.

I guess what I am trying to get across to others is, watch out for your leader in your Capitals, your Hunter Ed Leaders, ours here in WA state are failing us in preserving a Great program. Their ears are being twisted by lawyers/politicians and making them paranoid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.