1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT laser Level's 360 Degree. Which One??????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bawana, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm thinking about buying one to have in the tool chest so I have one when I need it. Which one is a fair one and which is a good one? I would like have the one that is 360 degree laser. I don't always have someone to help me when I need help.

2. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

It's like buying cars....depends on how much you want to spend.

Rickyd

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I'm willing to look at my choices.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Horse Trader, If you just need one from time to time around the house, put your money back in your pocket. I will let you and anyone else who reads this in on a great level.A Water Level, buy about 50 feet(or more if needed) of a clear hose 5/16 ths or 3/8 ths inch ID (about $8.00). Drill the proper OD hole in a one or 2 gallon bucket and glue in one end of hose. Put a stopper in the hose and fill bucket with water and add food dye (red) in water and mix up. Then open hose in bucket and let the hose fill. Set Bucket in middle of room on top of 4 foot ladder or something solid at the height you want spread out the hose and mark as needed. Will even work into other rooms. Cheap and never needs to be recalibrated.You can measure up or down evenly to get line at proper height, and chalk, with a blue color chalk line. The blue color will wash off with water after you are done with project. Be sure to rinse out hose and bucket when finished.Algea will grow inside hose if water left inside after a while.Will work with one person and will level with the water level inside the bucket, which you can adjust up and down as well. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

5. ric3677

Horsetrader,

Give me a shout and I will send you some info.

ric3677atbresnandotnet

Rickyd

6. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Topcon lasers are the best but you get what you pay for . Jay

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

the car thing is right for the home guy the little ones are ok if you use one every day like i do to run ceilings and metal studs the self level is only way but you can start at $100 and go up mine cost $5000 when i bought it 15years ago Hilti has one now that does what mine does for around $1500 rick

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff- The water level system you described works very well but it is a bit cumbersome.

Pat Ireland

9. ric3677

Pat,

the most accurate out there.....but the biggest pain in the butt there is.

Rickyd

10. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Hey Jeff - just curious about your sign on name. Did you, or do you shoot NRA High Power or Long Range?........that is the common pit command after a shot is fired on your target (or rapid-fire string) - Gentlemen , pull and mark your targets.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

rickyd, Yes its always true and accurate to over 1000 yards or more. As being a pain in the backside, I have to say not to me, after I'm done I can empty one gal. bucket into sink and fill with tap water put bucket back on ladder or whatever stand I am using and empty with siphon (misspelled) action into toilet and keep hose under the lid or take outside and do the same thing. After getting the rest of water out of the hose coil the hose into the bucket and your done. I can make a control line the same height in every room in any size home or office for every trade working in building without setting up a laser in each and every room and adj. the height to match, because the water level goes around corners and does not need a line of sight. Your opinion may vary.

Pappa Smurf, No its not for any NRA type shooting, but you are on the right track so to speak. It has to do with clay target shooting a lone time ago, before the use of wired or wireless automatic traps. Like to try again. Break-em all. Jeff

12. ric3677

Jeff,

In my neck of the woods today it's -6 and holding. I wonder if we would have to use some green coloring in there today? You could argue that nobody works when it's that cold, but I have and colder yet.

I used the water level for a long time and finally got tired of the spilled water and rechecking after that. I still agree that it's the most accurate out there, but how good do you need it?

Rickyd

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Ditto on Topcon

Danny

14. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Thanks for the help here. I used a friends for the last two days and returned it Sat evening. I still need one so I went on a auction site and found a complete kit for sale. It has the unit, tripod and stick. The best part is its a Topcon. What I have seen on prices I don't think I got hurt at $440.00 + SH. Yes it is used. Once I get it I will look it over and see if I really need to ship it off to the factory to have them go over it.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rickyd- -6 and holding? Please tell me you are joking. I did not think that life could exist at such a temperature. It was 43 today and I had on a thick sweater and a heavy coat and the Dixie Grand in Florida is still a month away.

Pat Ireland

16. ric3677

Wasn't kidding Pat....that was on Friday and today it's above freezing altho the 30 plus wind makes it seem much less.

Rickyd

17. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

Horse Trader , the easy way to check to see if it is calibrated go to a football field and set up your tripod at one goal post . Take the time to level tripod base without the laser on it use a torpedo level. set the laser on the tripod aiming the carrying handle toward the other goal post andthighten down , level the laser if it isn't self leveling . Now shoot a mark on the other goal post . Loosen tripod base screw and rotate the laser 180 degrees retighten screw .If you had to minorly relevel the laser unit it is ok ,shoot another mark on the other goal post and the difference between the two marks is your plus or minus of accuracy.If the unit is too far out of spec it's not hard to adjust it yourself. Good luck Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.