1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Knife recommendations....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wolfram, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the Chicago Cutlery brand knives for the reasons you mentioned. They aren't cheap but they won't break the bank either. The large chef's knife is about $25.

2. TC

TC TS Member

The old Chicago Cutlery knives were very good. The problem is, they are no longer in business. The name was sold to an importer and used on Chinese and Brazilian imports.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Didn't know that TC. I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery for the trap club last year and they were USA made. I have been using my own set for about 20 years.

4. steele

steele TS Member

I've had very good luck with Cutco knives. I even use their hunting versions. Everytime I go to elk camp, one of the guides talks me out of mine. We dressed out two elk, & it was still sharp enough to shave hair. They have a huge selection of kitchen items.

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Camillus, Lampson and Old Hickory still make kitchen knives made in the USA.

6. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Forchner knives are very well respected. Their chef's knife was tested and found to be the equal of their German and Japanese counter parts for around $25.00 dollars. And their $4.00 dollar pairing knives just can't be beat.

Bob M.

7. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Wusthoff

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I know you said you did not want to spend a lot but a lot of people never heard of theses knives. They are called " Leech Lake knives " and are handmade by Don Canney of leech Lake MN and Iowa. His filet knife is the sharpest knife you will ever encounter and it stays that way for a long long time plus he sharpens then for life. He also sells a pairing kitchen knife. These are without a doubt the best knives I have ever bought bar none. I have several

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try a ceramic blade- one I use in the field has cleaned countless deer and has never been resharpened

You do have to be careful to not pry with them or put on a lot of sidewards pressure- or they will break

Thats it

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

Chicago Cutlery...I have had mine for almost 30 years. Kim

11. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

If your looking for a good quality USA made knife try Dexter Russell. I have a few I use when trimming pork,ribs,chicken and brisket prior and after smoking. Very pleased. You can find them at restaurant supply stores.

I use a Leach lake fillet knife also. Best fillet knife i ever owned. When I bought mine Don Canney through in a few band aids said I would probably need them.

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

Dexter knives used to be used in meat processing plants, I don't know how expensive they are. Look at yard sales. Buy carbon steel, there were more good ones there than the stainless ones. Most German knives are pretty good, Herder, Wustoff, etc.

13. shooter49

shooter49 Member

As a former chef I can tell you I have used just about every brand. For good every day inexpensive, Whiz-bang is right on the money with Dexter Russell. I have Henckels, Sabatier, Wustoff and numerous others. They stay in my "tool box" and the kitchen drawer is full of Dexter Russells. They are workhorses.

Vic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.