1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT knee replacement

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1 ounce, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 ounce

1 ounce TS Member

I have to get a knee replaced. Any recomendation for a doctor around syracuse area or vermont. I live inbetween them and don't mind some travrling.
    gary

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My wife has had total replacements on both knees. skeet2day's remarks are dead on, however, the wife had a way too aggressive physical therapist on the first knee and had to complain to the MD who had her change instantly. You must do the PT correctly and it is, in fact, critical, but know exactly what the Dr. expects from you before you let a therapist push you too fast. That first fellow was on the "don't recommend" list after she explained her experience.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

3. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I would go to NYC to Dr. Giles Scuderi. I have been tiold that his partner John Insall, now deceased invented the first artificial knee.

4. sunbroker

sunbroker TS Member

If you can exercise and stengthen your legs before the surgery.

5. 682LINY

682LINY Member

as gunster says,,,work the affected muscels before surgury,,,,go to the local rehabs and talk to them about Drs that have good results and exercises to do before sugury,,,,I have had 9 knee surgies including replacement at age 45,,,,first surgie was in 1978,,,replacment was in 2003,,,,second choice is ,,,come to NY and find Dr Scott Marwin,,,He has just left Long Island Jewish Hospital and gone to some big joint in Mannhatten,,,,He is about the best around right now,,,,he might be able to recomend some one in your area,,,,but I would use Him if I could

6. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

1 Once,
    Attached is a link my doctor had given me in order to better understand the operation etc.. Maybe more then you want to know.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/archive//20061214/pubs/cbm/tkr.html

I had a replacement done in April 2005. The operation was performed by Dr. Wolfgang Fitz at Brigham Women’s Hospital in Boston.

http://www.brighamandwomens.org/mdSearch/MedicalProfessionalDetail.aspx?MPR=1357

gunster had it right. Get in to physical therapy long before your surgical date. The stronger your knee and leg are before they cut, the faster you’ll bounce back.
    Listen to you surgeon and do the required therapy post surgery.

You need to find a doctor your comfortable with. Ask questions.

Wishing you the best with your procedure.

Bill

7. BIGbill

BIGbill TS Member

Here is a link to the American Board or Orthopedic Surgery (ABOS) website, you can also try the american academy of orthopedic surgery.

I don't think you need to find the "best guy in the world". Find a gal/guy you like, make sure s/he does more than 25 knees per year at a hospital that has a "joint program" that incorporates pre-op classes in what to expect from your new plastic/titanium/cobalt chrome knee. I feel that the patients are more confident during and after surgery when they have been to the classes.

Minimally invasive techniques, computer alignment, and gender specific knees are new twists that sound almost as cool as "laser surgery" but haven't been shown to make much difference to people that need new knees.

Bill

8. spclays1

spclays1 TS Member

May I suggest that you look at www.smithnephew.com . Great products. One of the largest orthopedic maufacturers around. Quality is our #1 priority.

9. mobear

mobear Member

I had my right knee replaced in September of 07 at the age of 39, some of the best advice above is to make sure you do exercises and strengthen your thigh muscles before the surgery, make sure they put you on a motion machine when you are put in a room after the surgery, and get a good therapist.

One other note that I would add is when they prescribe you pain med, if they say they want to put you on oxycotin, refuse it and ask for something else, it works great, but when I was done with my 30 day supply after the surgery, I went thru a week and a half of withdrawls, and it was the worst thing that I have ever been thru.

Dan

10. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Having had a total shoulder replacement and four other surgeries of various degrees on the same shoulder I'd like to over thsis wisdom or lack there of. Talk to and meeet at least three or more surgeons that do the surgery often. Ask for laist of past patients call them and as how they faired. My surgeon is one of the three top surgeons for shouldres in Chicago and you can bet that I met and talke to the other two as well before making a decison.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I had two knees installed in 2002 without a hitch..I would recommend the Dr. without hesitation but he has relocated to somwhere in Florida. Dr. John Kastrup... Get your legs in shape before the surgery and the recoop time will be much easier.
    The post surgery therapy is mild torture but without it no gain. I followed the therapist's plan and was back on my job (desk job) in three weeks and shooting in about four. Haven't had a problem since day one!

Good luck!

Big Jack

12. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

1OZ, Call Dr. Bruce Klein in Canandaigua 585-394-1960 ( ABOUT 1-1/2 hrs from Syracuse ) He replaced my Wife's knee in August, then 1 week in rehab, then about 12 trips for PT. She is very happy with the job and if I needed a new knee, I would go to him. Larry Evans

13. 682LINY

682LINY Member

fyi,,,,THE KNEE i HAD DONE USED A SMITH AND NEPHEW IMPLANT,,,,DESIGNED FOR YOUNGER AND MORE ACTIVE PATIENTS,,,no COMPLAINTS,,,,AND NO THIS IS NOT THE CEMENTLESS ON THAT WAS RECALED YEARS AGO,,,sorrey about capitals ,,wrong button,,Billy

14. 1 ounce

1 ounce TS Member

I know i am a little behind but i want to thank everybody who responded to my request for info on knee replacement doctors.
    gary

15. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I have worked for most all of the medical device Companies for almost 40 yrs.
    It come down to how well the surgeon has been trained by the company that made the product. They are all good if the surgeon was trained properly. I would highly recommend Zimmer USA in Warsaw Indiana.
    By the way Warsaw, In. is the orthopedic Capital of the World. It you Can't get the best their I would hate to think what is second. B12

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.