1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Kia Sportage

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fortwtlkqa, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortwtlkqa

fortwtlkqa Member

Sep 6, 2008

I work for a dealership that has Kia as one of it's franchises. We often trade for 1999-2001 Kia Sportages. The biggest problem I've seen with them is that the 4wd's go out. Since you are looking at a 2wd you won't have that concern.

All in all if you're just looking for something to drive to the store it's not a bad choice. It's tough to find a car/suv for under 3k that's in good shape. FYI, a timing belt can be changed on a 4 cylinder for under $300. On a 4cylinder they need to be done every 60k roughly. So it's probably due for one. If you can get it for $2500 and it's in good shape you're getting a pretty good deal. That way you can get the timing belt done and you're still at 2800 or just make them put a new timing belt on it. If you do buy it and have the timing belt done have them look at the other belts too because when they do a timing belt there's no extra labor to put the other belts on.

If you pm me the VIN i'd be happy to pull up any information I can for you.

Curt Kinsey
  2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Green Bay Wisconsin
    Ah, the timing belt fiasco.

Yes, they say to do the damn thing at 60K. Unless you are in California. Then it's ok to go to 106K miles.

I called Kia, and asked them how the car knew which state it was in. And why was the service interval different for that state? The clueless female said it was "because of the pollution laws".

Uhhhhhhhh......well, anyway my Kia (2000) has 121K on the clock, and I finally am going to do the belt. They charge 400 here, guess the customers are dumber.

BTW, this is an interference motor, which means if the belt breaks while running you put a valve into the piston.

There was an earlier version of the Sportage that they took off the market because it had a lot of problems, among the were brake problems.

The later one seems better.

The 100K mile warranty is a good sell for them, and lots of makers have followed suit because of it.

But it's still a throwaway car.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I've seen them go over 200K with a few issues over time. No better or worse than most of the vehicles out there. Resale value is not great. Parts and service can be a little more than normal. They DO require some maintenance. Timing belts are just the tip of the iceberg. 4WD sometimes have issues. Keep them away from the "Quicky" Lubes. Heater cores and brakes are usually very common repairs. PM luvnbearhugs1. She has one with HIGH miles. She also has the BILLS to prove it costs something to get them there. One nice feature is the availability of the FULL Service and Diagnostic manuals online FOR NO COST! The downside is they are not always correct or well written in Engrish. Older ones had the beer can labels visible in the inside door panels and Keds labels in the tires. :)
  4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Shawnee, Kansas, USA
    Changing a timing belt is not that difficult on this vehicle.

My wife had a 2000, and I changed the timing belt right at 65,000 miles, about 6 months before she totaled it.

A little tricky because its DOHC, and you need to get the crank an both cam drives lined up. If you do this, probably a good idea to replace the timing belt tensioner and pulley, and as long as you're in there, might as well replace the water pump and the other belts.

Its not a bad vehicle. She liked it a lot.
  5. maka

maka Member

Nov 23, 2009
    KIA Is that a kid in action?
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I retired from a corp that owned 14 body shops. We had a shop in a town that was full of Kias. They fold up like a piece of tin and I saw some pretty major injurys of people driving them. I would not put my loved ones in one.
  7. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Dec 18, 2006
    My Kia experience.

My sportage was the first vehicle I ever bought brand new at the dealer.
    This truck 4x4 cost me $14000 new. I have put probably 4-5k in it over time in maintenance, tires, brakes, oil changes, batteries etc. I have used this vehicle to do everything from hauling a washer home, to hauling 6 kids to the beach. Would I buy another Kia, Yes I would. But only if I could be assured it would be as good as this one. I tried to trade this truck early in 2004 when it had 95k on it. The salesman told me they NEVER see these vehicles with that much mileage on them still running! I wonder, how would they like me now?

Quackshot does much of the medium maintenance on my Kia (tires and oil changes, brakes, etc. are minor and every day wear he does not do) He has replaced my alternator twice and he's done most of the diagnostic work on this vehicle. I put SERIOUS mileage on a vehicle. I have always had 2 vehicles and I still managed to put over 240,000 miles on the Kia in 10 years in addition to the miles on the other car. In 2002, I put over 5k miles on this truck in a two week period. I purchased my Kia new in 2000 and it is still the vehicle I drive for distance (Most weekends a run to the eastern shore and back. 180 miles, to the pie shoot in Quarryville 300 miles, etc)

I have really only had 3 MAJOR repairs to my Kia. The first was an accident. The Sportage was 6 months old when it sustained over 9k in damage in a single car accident. Since the frame was not bent, the insurance company did not total the vehicle. They repaired it. At the time it had 17,000 miles.

In 2004, I took it to Jiffy Lube for its regular maintenance. At the time, Jiffy Lube suggested I get the differential serviced. I said OK. Worst mistake I ever made. They did the service, but my truck differential was filled with g4 liquid and they serviced with g5. A big no no. Within a day the differential sounded like an egg beater. About 11pm that night I was on the cellphone with Quackshot while driving home. He heard something over the phone and asked me what that noise was. I said, I think it's the heat shield because it had come loose. He said no it's not the heat shield and if it is what I think it is, you need to park that truck now. I got it home and parked it. We drove it over to the Kia dealership where I purchased it and the differential had been ruined. Ka-ching $2800. The truck had 122,000 miles on it. Quackshot knew the service manager from his work with Ford and was able to strike a deal to get the differential replaced as well as doing the water pump and timing belt, radiator flush and refill, etc. for about $2200. When asked, the service manager said, the service provided by Jiffy Lube most likely caused the damage because they mixed the gear fluid, but because the mileage was so high they could not rule out age and wear and tear. So they wouldn't help me go after Jilly Lube.

In 2009 the heater core failed and we had to have it replaced along with servicing the air conditioner. Had the rear brakes and drums replaced Just over $1000. Quackshot took down the air conditioning system (evac'd etc) and saved me a considerable amount of money.

Just my experience. Your mileage may vary! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to change timing belt on kia sportage 2009