1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Keeping it Quiet

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tachyon, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

So, the recent thread on Pigeon shooting got me thinking about what .22 rounds were best for "quiet" pest control. A friend has a huge problem with raccoons. He lives in the outskirts but has to think about what noise is made when discouraging the raccoons when they raid his yard. So we decided to do some testing.

We took a Marlin 781 with an old 4x Weaver scope, a bunch of different .22 ammo and an Extech sound level meter out to the farm. Shot at 30 yards, with the sound level meter 5 ft away from the rifle. Set meter to record maximum loudness for each shot. Shot 5 rounds and averaged the readings. Also shot an RWS Diana 48 with a .177 round for comparison. All sound measurements were in decibels (dB).
    We also included measured bullet mass and calculated energy based on published muzzle velocity.
    Background noise level was 35dB and there was very little wind.
    Results:

RWS Diana with RWS Superpoint pellet. 88 dB. Measured pellet to be 8.3 grains and calculated 22 ftlbs of energy.

CCI CB Longs 70 dB. 29 g 710 fps, 32 ftlbs.

CCI CB Short 73 dB 29 g 710 fps 32 ftlbs.

Remington Subsonic 82 dB 38g 1050 fps 93 ftlbs

Winchester CB Short 68 dB 29 g 770 fps 38 ftlbs

Winchester Super Silhouette 85 dB 42 g 1300 fps 157 ftlbs

Winchester SuperMax 95 dB 34 g 1200 fps 108 ftlbs.

Remington High Velocity 89 dB 40 g 1255 fps 139 ftlbs.

PMC Zapper 95 dB 38g 1250 fps 131 ftlbs.

Winchester SuperX 96 dB 40 g 1250 fps 138 ftlbs.

We also tested with a Ruger Single Six .22 revolver. Average increase was 8 dB for each of the above.

All of the above except the pellet gun shot through 2 inches of telephone directory.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I've found that raccoons die of heart failure or something when there is a loud noise right behind their heads, usually made by a 22 short hollow point from a Ruger single six. (we've had two sick ones over the years come into our garage...both suffered the loud noise heart attack syndrome). The short only leaves a dent in the pegboard after going through the coon.

3. tachyon

tachyon Member

My friend's neighbor is complaining that he has had to dispose of a few raccoons who died of mysterious causes in his back yard. My friend feels a little guilty as it seems the "heart failure" as savagestan says allows them to go a few hundred yards before they stop moving.

4. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Bruce you are a trip! How is your trapshooting team this year? Going to give some of the other team a chance to get and of those medals? Omaha

5. tachyon

tachyon Member

Omaha, we are all over the map right now. With 6 traps at Papillion we can get a lot more practice in but whether it is quality practice is the real question. I have been working with the 8 new shooters, none had held/shot a gun before January. They all have the safety rules down as a habit. That is good progress.

The experienced shooters are erratic. One squad round of 122, next round barely breaks 100. Not very consistent. A couple are struggling with concentration.... well they are concentrating but not on shooting.... You know who we practice with....

How are things going with your group?

6. lc

lc TS Member

Go to a local farmer and ask him for the stuff they use to kill flies in the barns. You put this outside and the racoons love it, usually die within a few feet after they have had some. Sorry I forget the name of the liquid.

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Neither of the coons shot in my garage went farther than the floor below them. Secret is hitting them in the head, from behind, right between the ears. And be sure they are short hollow points. Mine are so old that I have to wipe the green mold off them to get them into the chamber. Should start looking for some new stuff.

Colibri's, at least the ones I have, are very low velocity, pellet gun weight bullets and on the box are not to be shot from a rifle as they can stick in the bore. I wasn't pleased with their performance on garden rabbits. Rather use my old Benjamin 22 on them.

8. tachyon

tachyon Member

While poison in a rural situation is effective, in an urban/suburban environment it does not make sense.
    Besides, where is the challenge/fun.

My experience with colibri's matches Savage99Stan's experience. Stuck in the barrel of my 10-22, lousy accuracy in my Marlin 781 and terrible in my Anschutz. At 20g and 500 fps it barely delivers 11 ftlbs of energy at the muzzle, less than my pellet gun. It is quiet but I don't currently have any to test with my sound level meter.

9. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

If you can find and older 22 bolt gun with a long barrel, 30 inches or better you won't believe how much quieter that longer barrel makes them with std velocity ammo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.