1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Kahr Polymer???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Duck, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duck

Duck Member

Evening,,

Help, I'm sure I read some comment's about a Kahr double action on this site recently?. If this rings a bell please point me to the thread or repeat what model and why please. Or E me direct if you prefer by correcting address.

Thank's!.

2. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

See link above, for Kahr DA's. If there's a "P" in the model number, such as P40 (.40 S&W caliber) or PM9 (9X19 caliber,) it's a polymer. Phil E

3. Duck

Duck Member

Thank's Phil,

I will check it out. I must be Geezin, thought I read on here where someone was super pleased with the DA trigger on his Kahr.

4. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

i have the kahr P9and the trigger pull is great out of the box. its thin profile makes it a great concealed carry gun except for the caliber. so i went ahead and bought a P40 in same configuration with night sights. They are great guns, and great company for service. jm

5. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Duck: Yes, there have been comments on the Kahrs. To see those threads, click on "search" then type in Kahr for your search topic. I like the Kahr trigger and like JM, carry a P9 or P40, when clothes dictate something flat & small. The new Walther PPS is very similiar & shoots about the same. Phil E

6. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Duck, you may be refering to a post I made a while back about my new Kahr CW9. I was amazed at the smoothness and relatively light pressure required for the DAO trigger right out of the box, plus the lightness of the carry, accuracy and comfortable handling. It's a American made gun and all articles that I've read give it high marks. A friend was showing me his mint PPK today and the Kahr is barely larger. Easily concealed and comes in a 40SW of the same size with one less round capacity.

Buz

7. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I echo what everyone else has said. I have a P40 in S&W.40 and although it has a bite it is very controllable and easy to double tap. It's accurate as well.

Kahr service is great. I bought the gun second hand and had trouble feeding from one of the two magazines. I called Kahr, told them the story, and they sent a new one, no questions asked and no charge.

8. Duck

Duck Member

Gentlemen,

Phil I did try the search for some reason I still can't get it to go? + Thank You!
    alfermann66, yes your CW9 comment's were the one's that had me asking again,
    Thank's again for the reply!.

jm1079 + Jerry944T, Likewise Thank's for your comment's I had'nt considered the 40?, I have other 9's but no 40's I may reconsider.

9. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Just a little thread piggyback: having shot the Glock 19 and liking it very much, can someone who has shot both compare it with the Kahr as to likes/dislikes? I have a revolver now, but looking for a semi-auto nightstand gun and conceal is not my primary concern, a good trigger certainly gets my vote though. I'm close to a indoor range so it would get a good workout this winter, so probably leaning towards the 9mm. Is the recoil of the 40 ca. substantially more? Thanks.

10. Jerry944t

Yes, the recoil of a .40 S&W is stouter than a 9mm by about 50%. That's just my perception. In a light weight auto you do get quite a bit of muzzle rise but nothing I would consider unmanageable.

It feels about like a .357 shot from a smaller framed revolver. As far as the stopping power, and I hope I never have to prove this, the 40 is far better than the 9mm, or so say the experts.

11. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I was just playing with a Kahr PM9 last night. The PM9 is their smallest 9mm. Trigger travel is long but reasonably smooth. Compared to any 1911, it sucks. Compared to a J-frame snubbie it is much, much better. Since the PM9 is so small, my finger rubs on the trigger guard, larger models will probably avoid this.

In the dry fire pocket gun test, the Kahr PM9 beat out the J-frame snubbies on size, pocketability, and trigger action. You can get a snubbie that is lighter. Baby glocks, mini 1911's, tiny LDA's are all bigger and heavier. Maybe next month I will buy one and fire it.

12. Jerry944t

Tom, you can't compare a single action triger pull, the 1911, to a double action only like the Kahr.

The long double action pull of the Kahr is the only safety the gun has. I think Glocks work the same way.

13. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Glocks also have a lever on the trigger that must be depressed at the same time the trigger is pulled back. Just pulling the trigger accomplishes this, so it is essentially the same to the user, ie: pull trigger.... hear bang. I didn't compare the Kahr to the Glock because I was looking for small size, and the baby Glocks were too large for what I wanted.

14. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Jimx200, I've not shot a Glock 19, but I have shot a friends Glock 9mm compact(don't recall the model number). My impression was the Glock pull was slightly shorter, but not as smooth as the Kahr and not as controllable for repetitive shots....possibly because the Glock grip is wider with the double stack magazine. TomK2 mentioned the Kahr PM9. My understanding is that it is the same size as the CW9 and some differences are the CW has less aesthetic machine work than the PM9, has fixed sights compared to adjustable on the the PM and costs about 1/3rd less. Both are stainless slides and polymer receivers.

Buz

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

JimX200: I can comment on that, I have both. I agree with the comments about the Kahr's long, nice smooth trigger pull. The Kahr's a hideout carry gun, whose biggest advantage is its small size & weight & very flat profile. It's biggest drawback is it's relatively low mag capacity. If you like the G19, my advice would be for your nightstand use, stick with what you like, it or a G17. Jerry's exactly right about the 40's recoil, about half again the 9mm's. Shooting my twins, P9 & P40 side by side, while the P40 is controllable, there's a big difference in comfort. The 40 is a harsh cartridge, the 9X19 and 45 ACP are not. An alternative to the Glock is the Springfield XD. An XD9 in either fullsize or mid-(compact) size could be a great bedside gun. Bigger size & weight is better in a bedside gun, it'll be easier & steadier to control & shoot well. One of my home guns is an XD45, which points well & is extremely pleasant to shoot, even for extended sessions. I'm sold on it. Phil E

16. tomk2

tomk2 Member

the Kahr CW series is a smidge larger than the PM. About 0.6 inches.

But you are correct, the CW's are less expensive. I will be getting a PM9 tomorrow, but with the ice storm that has just started, I might have to wait to pick it up and/or take it to the range.

I will back up Phil's impression of the XD45, I have one and really like it.

17. Duck

Duck Member

tomk2,

I see your opting for the PM9, already have a 40 or don't care for them?.

18. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

since there is no conceal carry in illinois, i have decided to sell my NIB Kahr P40 $495.00 shipped to your FFL. email me for details. jm

19. Jerry944t

That's a great price for that piece. I'd buy it but I don't need two unless yours is the all black version with tritanium sights.

It shouldn't last long.

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Duck-

I don't own any .40's. I shot one years ago. There was a time that I was trying to collect one handgun for each caliber, but then I became smitten by the 45 ACP, and I never did get a 40. This PM9 will be my first non 45 in a long time. I chose the PM9 for its size and "pocketability." I am confident that 9mm in a gun this size will not be a problem for me, but I have my doubts that I would enjoy shooting the 40 in a gun this small. Yes, I am passing up a great opportunity to finally put a 40 in my collection, but what of all that 9mm ammo I have laying around?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.