1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - JITTURBUG PHONES - Any experience?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BDodd, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

These are advertised as "Senior cell phones" since they are exceedingly simple and basic. Anyone have experience with them to share?...Bob Dodd...Hmmm, can't spell jitterbug too well; see the need?

2. FrankJ

FrankJ Member

We've had one for over a year and don't use it much but it has worked well whenever we needed it.

3. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Hi Bob, I looked at one for my mother and after looking at the minute charges, I got her a TMobile prepaid phone at .10 cents a minute. I got it online from Tmo and got the highly rated Motorola V195 phone (see www.cnet.com and www.howardforums.com for ratings) for $29.99 and 250 free minutes with it. Funny thing about her using it is that I tell her (and show her) how to listen to her voice messages, but she says it's too much work and if really important, they will call back..lol...how can I argue with that. Good luck and shoot well.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks FrankJ and jimx200. The need for this phone is for a person who has no desire to learn anything but making a call and answering a ring like a simple land wire. Any more experiences?....Bob Dodd

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Bob, I don't know of any other phone that has the big keys and simplicity of the JBug. It should work pretty well. Here's a review of it (great site btw):http://reviews.cnet.com/cell-phones/samsung-jitterbug-dial-sph/4505-6454_7-32115117.html?tag=mncol;lst

They give it good marks.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Saw them in a store, the prices there seemed expensive to me.

HM

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

HM, that is how it appears but here's my take. Instead of claiming you're getting a phone for free when signing up to the typical services where you're actually paying for phones forever in the monthly price, Jitterbug has you buy a simple phone once and that's it. They claim if it gets damaged, fails, or the dog buries it, they'll replace it. To me it seems more straightforward in costs. In other words, there is no free phone from anyone.....Bob Dodd

8. halfmile

Bo, I know that. I have had a lot of services in the last 10 years.

U. S. Cellular had to be the worst. I have Einstein now, coverage a little thin but for me ok and it's cheap. I get 1000 minutes, and 200 for wifey for 44 a month incl taxes etc.

I'm open to any new ideas, since I think the whole cell deal is ridiculously expensive considering the product. One vendor here gives cut rate prices to the home builders assoc and I don't think that's fair.

HM

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

HM, weird that you (probably) mispelled my name. When she was just a freshman in high school, my daughter, now 46 and still a beauty, took to inventing nicknames for nearly everyone, me included. She was hilariously affected by a shoot program I got in the mail addressed to Bo Dodd and immediately I was nicknamed Bo. That lasted for a couple of years and I'm still often referred to as "Bo" by the kids and their peers that have kept in touch. She later took to giving Latin sounding names to everyone and I graduated to "Bonus." That moniker stuck to this day and it's the cause of much humor. Back to the phones, though, the person who may get a Jitterbug phone would get by with maybe 15 minutes a month, needs no frills, and insists on simplicity. I, too, have had miserable experiences with the likes of Verizon and a wife that insists she must have a phone. It appears we could arrange a Jitterbug for as little as $17 including taxes/month with 30 minutes that can accumulate and it appears no wiggle words; pay for the year and it drops to $12/month. Just wondering and looking for any input. I'll have the daughter change your name to "Agustus", eh?.....Bob Dodd

10. trap7

trap7 Member

Check out Consumer cell web site Great service 200anywhere minutes $20.00
    consumer cellular .com Jerry

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I'll put my own spin on this. I bought my wife a computer and she's scared to death of it. Likewise her cell phone. Not uncommon, I'm sure.

On the other hand, in my 70 years, the internet, Google, and GPS are even beyond the predictions of science fiction writers of 50 years ago. I feel privileged (after a few close calls) to have lived to experience these - and now they're on my tiny little cell phone that is with me whereever I go.

Why would you want something simple?

12. halfmile

I'm waiting, we were promised in the late 40's that everyone would have an airplane in their garage.

I agree, The tech increase is astounding.

20 years ago a copmputer for my business and a work truck were the same price.

Bob, just missed the 2nd "B".

HM

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Halfmile,
    30 years a computer cost more than a house.

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me of the first cell i bougt-1984 a Nokia Mobira, was huge & heavy cost close to $2400.00 @ $1.00/min air time--just think--what kind of trap gun could i have purchased for $2400.00 in 1984.

Lou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.