1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Jeep problems HELP!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Ok I have a Jeep Comachee pick up with the 4 liter straight six and a 5 speed manual.

Started having clutch cyl leaking problems, would have a puddle underneath and having to fill the master cylinder fairly often. Went to Auto Zone and picked up a clutch master cyl and a slave cyl figured replace them both just to be sure.

It's a job to put the slave cyl in because the tranny has to come out it's all inside the bell housing. Got er done and no more than got the thing bled and on the ground that the slave cyl is leaking. CRAP!! so I called the zone and they said no problem bring the slave cyl back and we'll give you another one. So I pulled the tranny back out and put a new cylinder back in.

Same thing started leaking the next day. So I went back to the auto zone got another slave cyl, it would be my luck to have two bad ones in a row. WEll guess what pulled the tranny out one more time and now she is leaking again out of the slave cylinder just like before. I was carefull with the o rings that go on the lines, I bled it good, I kept the plastic things on there while I put it together as your supposed to to keep the cylinder from over extending, they break away once everything is together. Did everything by the book and I still have a leaking clutch slave cylinder.

I'm tired of pulling that tranny out but will one more time if someone can give me some answer that will make sure it's fixed. Thanks I know there are a bunch of gear heads on here.

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a Jeep Cherokee and a Jeep Patriot and I would check out the Jeep Forum shown above. I'm sure someone can answer your question. I gave a Cherokee with 5 speed to our daughter and it now has 180k miles with the original clutch.

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

It would be odd to have that many bad parts but I don't trust Autozone parts any farther than I can throw them....which is what I usually end up doing!

Steve

4. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

I bought my daughter a Wrangler in 98, 5 speed shift,6 cyl, the master is in the engine compartment, I was driving it and the master split, was tissue paper aluminum,the clutch housing amd some parts were made of plastic, managed to drive it over to jeep was stuck in 2nd, they tried to blame me, I insisted on a stronger housing which I got. Inside the origional housing was a membrane.
    I was told by a worker there that I knew, they place a insert membrane into the liquid that looks like the gold coffee filter in a coffee maker to protect the housing because its too weak.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Stop using Auto zone the sell crap buy form an independent Auto Parts store

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.