1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT J.C. Higgins .22 pistol

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have inherited a 9 shot .22 cal revolver marked J.C. Higgins, Model 88. Anybody know who made this gun? I think is was purchased in the late 1950's from Sears & Roebuck. Thanks, John

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

its a High-Standard

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

J.C. Higgins was a hardware store chain back when I was but a mere child.

Hauxfan!

4. CalvinMD

Wow Haux, you are getting to the point where you just may be older than dirt!

5. Hauxfan

Calvin, maybe just a bit older.

But it doesn't make any difference to me as long as I'm still on the green side of the grass.

Well, even if it does make a difference...........not much I can do about it.........A good day is waking up each and every morning sucking air.....lol

Hauxfan!

6. CalvinMD

I couldn't agree more...and I'm not far behind ya,..heres wishin' ya tons more shooting years there buddy and maybe we'll be lucky enough to squad up and shoot together sometime!!

7. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Calvin and Haulfan, you're making me feel really old now. I have a J.C. Higgins 22 gun belt and holster I used to carry a Ruger single six in (half loading gate)when I was a kid. Think I ordered it out of a catalog.Longer ago than I like to think about,

Haux, I'm with you on the right side of the grass and sucking air. LOL--Steve

8. Hauxfan

Calvin, I'd like that. Just maybe someday that will happen. I'm in Iowa, where are you located at?

AAtrap, you carried a Ruger Single Six when you were a kid?

That means you are younger than me, as they weren't even made when I was a kid.......Hell, they barely had metallic cartridges........ ;-) lol lol

Hauxfan!

9. mark54

mark54 Member

I have a J.C. Higgins "Ranger" in 22cal. It is a copy of a Hi-Standard Double Nine with a chrome plated trigger & back strap.

Mark54 in Lititz

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Hauxfan, you may be older than me, but I doubt that you're quite that old.And don't tell me you started shooting trap with a bow and arrow. lol

11. CalvinMD

Im in North Texas about an hour from OK

12. Hauxfan

Nope, AAtrap, I didn't start shooting trap with a bow and an arrow.

They hadn't been invented yet........lol............I first started slinging rocks at those dastardly clays. Progressed up to a sling shot, and then the bow and arrow. ;-)

North Texas, Calvin.....Hmmmm...........I lived in Lubbock for a year back in about 61 or 62........Not to far from Texas Tech. Nice town......well, it was back then, I don't know how it is now.

Hauxfan!

13. farmallh

farmallh TS Member

I had one of the JC Higgins .22's in the 50's. Carried it in a holster while driving farm tractors. Traded it on a Ruger single six which I still have. Been looking for one the last few years. If anyone has one for sale I'd be interested. Leave off the x's in my email address.

Richard Slonkosky

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I bought a J. C. Higgins about a 100 years ago. The nine shot variety. I bought it used and it would never lock properly and when my hand was near the cylinder it would shave off a piece of lead or the gaps were xtra large and would burn me good.

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Farmall: You might roam gun shows & look for a High Standard Sentinel revolver. It might be very similiar to the J.C. Higgins you remember. The Sentinels are prevalent, about $100-150, and are a very nice little 9-shot revolver. Phil E

16. EDGARMCM

EDGARMCM TS Member

farmallh:

I did the same but I had a JD 70

17. oldcop

oldcop Member

It's not a pistol, but I still have my first "real" gun, a J.C. Higgins single shot .22 rifle I got for my 12th birthday in 1954. My folks paid $12.95 for it, which was about 4 1/4 hours of work for my Dad back then. The following year they gave me a Higgins bolt action .410 which cost a few dollars more. My safe contains a number of pretty expensive guns, and those two modest little arms repose there with honor and associated good memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.