1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Ithaca SKB Century Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by berettaman7, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I recently bought an Ithaca SKB Century trap shotgun with a fixed full choked 34” barrel. The gun is in remarkable condition for a 30 + year old gun. I understand Ithaca had SKB custom build these guns and that the Century 1 was made from 73-74 and that the Century II with fancier wood and improved forend hardware was built from 74-75.

Would the demise of these well built aesthetically appealing guns be due to the emergence of Browning´s BT-99 built by Miroku in Japan? I know BT-99´s and the Century’s were retailing for pretty much the same price back in the mid seventies.

Lastly, would like to find out how many Century I and how many Century II´s were built.

Kind Regards,

Berettaman7

2. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Bought my Dad one about a year ago and he loves it.

Nice looking guns and a nice performer.

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Ithaca used to import several kinds of guns, but as the dollar lost ground to the European and Japanese currencies, it became less profitable. The SKB Century was a nice looking gun and pointed well. The main problem seemed to be firing pin and hammer spring breakage. After Ithaca quit importing them, parts became scarce and many people got rid of them for that reason. There was an outfit at one time that made after market fining pins of a somewhat better quality, but I think they are no longer in buisness.

4. mike b.

mike b. Member

Barrel/receiver separation was a big problem.

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Good thing I found parts for the Century at Numrich Gun Parts, guess its best to leave it as a back up gun instead, I shoot a Beretta A303 Special Trap with a 32" barrel and never had a problem with since bought new in the 80´s.

Thank you all for your comments.

Berettaman7

6. DickG

DickG TS Member

I had a choice to make between a Century, and a BT-99. This was to be my first trap gun, and I didn't have a clue. Bought the Century as it looked nicer.

First of many gun buying mistakes.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

They were also known as flat shooters.

Hauxfan!

8. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Ajax

Thanks, I will give Ron a call.

Berettaman7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.