1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Is the 5mm back?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by abiezer, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abiezer

abiezer Guest

It looks like all those garden stake 5mm rimfires now
    have an ammo source.
    http://www.aguilaammo.com/

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Why?

.17HMR is still faster, the much more common .22WMR delivers about the same energy, and you don't have to order the ammo from the internet.

3. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I notice the new 5mm ammo is listed with a 30gr bullet. The factory Remington ammo has a 38gr bullet. I am not a ballistics guy, only speaking from performance on game. At distances over 100 yards, the 5mm with the 38gr bullet has always performed better for me than the 22mag. I will keep my opinion to myself on the .17.

4. Kent

Kent TS Member

Just got a Sportsman Guide catalog that was offerning a sale on them $16.97 per 50

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think the .17 HMR is going to keep the 30 grain 5mm Remington in retirement. It is a good thing that there is some new 5mm ammo on the market though, those old Remington bolt guns are too good to not use.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    At one time a small company was making replacement centerfire bolts and centerfire cartridges to convert these rimfire rifles. Good idea, but it just didn't catch on.

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I will bet the 17 will die like the 5mm did. There is not much the 17 is good for over 50yds and at the price the 22 mag is a far better round

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't think the .17HRM will go away in our lifetime Rick, all the rifle makers have at least one model in that cal and ammo is readily available in several flavors. Extremely popular around here, about 10:1 over the .22 mag.

9. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I don't know if it is a federal law or State law, but you can't shoot buzzards or vultures in Texas.

HBT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.