1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:IP addresse question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

New computer. Windows Vista. I'm setting up Windows PICTURES so I can email pictures directly out of it. I need to know what my incoming and outgoing IP addresses are. I can find my IP addresse but I have no idea how to tell the difference between incoming and outgoing addresses.

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

You can use the link above or you can go to your network connections.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Are the incoming and outgoing addresses the same?

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I do believe they are the same. Bulge

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thank you. I just inserted the addresse into the set up program for both incoming and outgoing and it sent. I mailed it to me but nothing so far.

6. bocephus

bocephus Member

I think it is asking for your mail server names, such as pop3.yourisp.com(incoming) and smtp.yourisp.com(outgoing)
    those you can see in your mail program in tools/accounts or from your isp

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wireguy I am not sure what the problem is but you are not telling me enough I have Windows Vista I can not email from pictures. I can email from the picture viewer and all I have ever done is set up my email accounts. For that you need a incoming IP address and an IP address for your out going server which your Internet carrier can provide.

Are you able to send/receive mail now or have you not set up your mail service yet? Where did you see the set up for Pictures?

Bob Lawless

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys....

I really don't understand this question. You see I am a Macintosh user. Want to send a photo click and drag it to an email.... address it and go. Want to share a bunch of photos like say a family outing. Simple use the Iweb software click and drag the photos to the website page and just send the page address to all the family member. Simple.... Dump the Vista junk and buy a Mac.

TB

9. bocephus

bocephus Member

TB it is asking for the email server addresses (incoming and outgoing). Now come on you can't believe your mac knows it on its own do you? rofl At some point everyone has to set up their email accounts.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

All I know is there is a button on Pictures and Windows Photo Gallery that sends pictures directly from there. I get my email on Yahoo, the free version. Of course my mail settings are established in Windows. Are the POP3 and SMTP servers linked to Windows or Yahoo? This is what the Pictures email program is asking for. It's also possible there is a security software situation. I'll look for anything there.

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It's a socket error problem, 10061. Blocked port.

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, finally an answer. Cox Communications, like many IP's , does not allow outgoing mail through a 3rd party, which I guess is what the mail program in Windows Pictures is. (Internet Explorer?) So you purchase the latest and greatest, Vista, and you still can't use a simple built in link because Windows, though they have long known this to be the case, is too stupid to send the picture(s) via your email client or even TO your email client so you can forward them out from there. So far I have been un-successful at sending a folder out of Pictures, only individual pictures. No wonder everyone hates Vista. Thanks everyone for your attempts to help.

13. ivanhoe

wireguy If I might make a suggestion. Establish a Windows Live Mail account it can be done at MSN.com and it is free. You can send your contacts to the account and I believe it supports your pictures link.

By the way who is Cox Communications and what do they have to do with it.

Bob Lawless

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Cox is my ISP Bob. They provide high speed internet, phone and television over a cable system. They are a major player here. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that.

15. ivanhoe

wireguy another thought try their high speed internet. I know it is expensive but you get what you pay for.

You said "OK, finally an answer. Cox Communications, like many IP's , does not allow outgoing mail through a 3rd party, which I guess is what the mail program in Windows Pictures is." the third party is Yahoo not Microsoft. Cox is one party Microsoft(Windows)is the second party and Yahoo is the third party ask Cox they will tell you what ever you want to know they want your business. Check it out you might be surprised.

Bob Lawless

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hey TBaby

I thought you crawled back under your Mac and dissapeared! You need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid. Next you'll be telling us that Kemen Shells are the only ones to use. You need to get a life.

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks Bob, I'll talk to them and see if they can tell me how to make it work. Everything is simple when you know how.

18. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Wireguy, Might cox be referring to "relaying"? I know that I can't send email using my work email account from my home internet access. I've had to create another email account with my home email server, user name and password.

Could another issue be that most ISP's don't assign static IP addresses? It's been a while since I've played with this stuff so perhaps that has changed.

19. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Yahoo's free email program will not play nice, either with a 3rd party program or with access to the pop servers information. You need to upgrade to a paid version of Yahoo mail, or use your ISP's email service to make emailing pictures from within a program. I use Picasa, and had similar issues until I set it up with my Earthlink account

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You guys are right. I'm going to try using my Cox email account, or pay for the better version of Yahoo. As always when I go through something like this I add to my knowledge. Thanks everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.