1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Interior wall painting question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by wam6187, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I am in the process of rehabing and older house.
    My question is, how do you hide that flat look when you repair drywall?
    So far I have sanded the areas around the patches and used two coats of primer, but all that seems to do is make the repairs more noticable.

Thanks ahead

Bill

2. dog

dog TS Member

any paint other than flat you will have to paint the entire wall corner to corner

3. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

I haven't even gotten to putting color on yet - this is still in the primer phase. If I put color on with as bad as the walls look the wife would have a heart attack.

Bill

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use texture paint, hides a multitude of sins.

HM

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Somewhat similar to what Halfmile said - I take a heavier (thick) nap roller and use ceiling paint (thicker than wall paint) and apply that over the patched areas, it re-creates the orange peel of existing painted drywall to help blend the newly patched areas.

Jay Spitz

6. FPBristol

FPBristol TS Member

The reason you can see the "flat spots" on the wall after using primer is because the primer is designed to have hold out and that imparts a small amount of sheen which accentuates the sheet rock joints, nail pops, and repairs. Topcoat the primer with a good quality flat latex paint and you will solve your problem unless the drywall is so uneven that you do in fact have high spots. Even then you can usually get good results with a Matte Flat paint. Yes, I do work for Sherwin Williams (25 yrs) as a field rep. Regardless, stop by your local Sherwin Williams and they will take care of you.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hire a painter and go shooting instead ... either way your going to be in trouble from the wife so why not enjoy yourself before getting into trouble?

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Haven't you heard??? Anything inside the curb is woman's work.

If you do it, you know she will find something wrong with it, so just hand the tools to her, and let her finish the job.

There will be a lot less harping and carping if the little woman does it.

Trust me........ ;-)

Hauxfan!

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hauxfan, isn't that the Go**a** truth! You can't do anything to please a woman when it comes to her nest.

10. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

All above ideas are worth a try. We are remodeling an old farmhouse for use as our home [not a rental or resale] and have had very good luck and alot of compliments on our choice of wall texture,colors etc. We are using American Traditions brand Signature Sandstone from Loews. I like to buy at smaller type stores but this is one product I really like. This paint gives you a fine texture plaster look and feel, is very tough and hides drywall defects well. Goes on like paint and gives a very even texture unlike some sand paints. I couldn't believe the look when done! Cost about $35 per gallon. Might be worth a try if you are doing whole rooms. A little expensive but if you want to get rid of the flat drywall texture it is the way to go. Paul Baker Jr

11. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Well, so far I like MX-8B's suggestion best. I've used these 'spray can' textures a couple of times and they work pretty neat ... makes a patch job easy. I've used texture rollers and roll on textures in the past and frankly they tend to look like ... well ... roll on textures. If that is what the existing texture is then great, but if not I think it will probably look like you did what you did. There have been a lot of different textures used over the years and the trick is to match the one that was put onto the wall you're patching. Most modern textures can probably be matched using one of those out of the spray can. If it's an older house or building then that may not be so. So wam6187, what does the texture look like? Can you describe it, post a picture, or e-mail me a picture? I'll see if I can take a better guess as I've done this many times. Mike Gregory

12. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

American Signature from Lowe's is good paint that we've used here. Sherwin Williams is good too. I've never used Home Depot's Behr paint, but it is supposed to be good as well. Wal-Mart paint has been hit and miss for us.

13. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

Thanks for the good information all.
    I am going to investigate several of the options given to see which would be the best least painful solution.

Hauxfan and Lumper had the best suggestions in my opinion. ;-)

Michael Gregory,

The texture on the unpatched section looks to be one left from a 3/8 nap roller - the typical "orange peel" look. The problem though is I am dealing with several coats left from those same type of rollers. Last night I was experimenting with using an orbital sander and some 100 grit paper, which seemed to work pretty well, but the paper kept getting clogged with paint spots. Last night on the way home I bought some 80 grit so I will give that a try today, however this solution is not without problems as it is very labor intensive.

This house is going to be the death of me...

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.