1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Income Investment

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shifting an asset (sold property) and looking for the best income producing investment that carries a high level of safety.

Yes, I know, I want to have my cake and eat it too. I do have an eye on a pipeline companey that has paid 3.50 for the last ten years at least.

That amounds to 7l3 percent. I would put my grandmother in it, it is so safe. Watching it for a long time.

Buuuuuuuuut.........With all the people on here that have been in different vehicles for so long, I welcome your input.

TY

HM

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Oil!!! $150.00 per barrel by mid-summer '08.

Curt

4. rohitdean

rohitdean TS Member

I am by no means a financial advisor and not qualified to give financial advise. That automatically qualifies me as the authority to respond to your request. Depending on how risk averse you are, a blend of stocks bonds and mutual funds may be a good idea. Look at the ING direct 500 fund. It has consistently beaten the S&P 500 index. Also look at the different funds Fidelity has - Energy, Emerging Markets, Utilities, Government Income and my favorite Freedom Funds (2030, 2040 etc.)

Thanks
    Rohit

5. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

How about some of that prime Michigan real estate so ( pedennis) can fulfill his dream of a Florida retirement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

No desire whatsoever to live in Florida. Wouldn't live there on a bet. Besides, when did I ever say I wanted to sell. I'm not in the market now at all.

Dennis

7. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Could you please explain your calculation of the rate of return? It appears that you are discussing a company that pays a dividend of $3.50, and somehow that becomes a rate of return of 713 percent. Please provide the intermediate calculations.

8. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

+1 on the Fidelity Freedom Funds.

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

This works for me.........

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

VGENX

11. halfmile

finprof, typo. the 3 should not be there. Share price a little less than 50 dollars, 3.50 div per share was 7.5 percent last I looked. This figure will vary as the share price fluctuates, the company has paid 3.50 for a long time.

Over the last ten years the price has been 35 to 60 dollars. but they still have always paid the 3.50. Company is EEP, formerly LHP (lakehead pipeline).

I'm not up on the way the stock hustlers sell "inside" or "otside" the box, or what happens as the stock declares the dividend. I would leave that fancywork to the experts.

What I seek is a little more info on other investment vehicles, stocks or funds, etc. NO REIT's, I want to keep my pants. Stable recurring income is the objective.

I like the piggy bank,Haux, but the income figure is kind of minus zero.

HM

12. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Dont know what your realestate market is like where you are at, but there are a lot of single family homes comming on the market at this time. Rental property is pretty good. i have one that tax dollar at 119k and rents for 1400 and another tax base 80k and rents for 850. good return on dollars and you still have the property to add to your etate. works for me really well plus there are some tax advantages to be considered.

lots of luck
    Bob

13. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Don't know the stocks but I do know a couple of people that do and they are telling me for the next five to fifteen years that a good buy and hold would be the solar energy sector and there are six different companies that are a good start. JASD,STP,CSIQ,LDK,CSUN,FSLR. Other than the proverbial "Blue Chips" I'm sure there are a lot of funds and other stocks that will make you money. I couldn't ever say what is safe and secure because sure as I did that one would fall flat on it's nose. One poster said Michigan and I'm sure he meant to say land. I've never seen it decrease in price that in a short amount of time it didn't make back up. Rental properties make you money but they also require taxes and upkeep. I'm saying that a well taken care of and preserved muscle car from the muscle car era of the late 60's if stored and kept nicely will make you as much money as anything you can put your money in. Dan

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

My investment philosophy works for me but it would not work for many others. I deal with Real Estate everyday in my business and my investments are in Real Estate. I will not invest in something I do not understand. I do not understand the stock market. Real Estate prices are depressed in some areas. It is best to make an investment when the prices are low. I would never suggest anyone invest in Real Estate unless they have spent several years studying the market where they might invest. It requires me to hit 3 different keys on my computer to pull up all of the sales of undeveloped land for the last six years in the 4 counties I work. I can quickly tell if a tract is priced too high, average or is a good bargain.

If you are not willing to do the work required to recognize a bargain, then you have to rely and pay someone else. The advisor's/brokers who charge the highest fees are frequently the best.

Pat Ireland

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

LOL...Pat, you read my mind!

You HAVE to understand what you've got....if not the ins and outs of the company, at LEAST HOW they make their money.

You look at my stock portfolio...I'll bet you dollars to dimes that you know the names of all but 2 of the companies I owe, and you can tell me right off how they make their money. The two that you wouldn't recognize right off, I could tell you the industry they're in, and you would understand.

Out of all the stock symbols thrown around in this post...I gotta say, I dont' recognize them. That's not a bad thing, but I literally know hundreds of companies and what they do.

You may make money owning GOOG. And I may be dumber than dirt...but until I understand how they make money (have you ever paid GOOG anything? Ever written them a check? Didn't think so.) I'll pass on them.

I own companies I understand.

Dow Chemical. Got it...makes and sells chemicals, right?

Chevron. Oil...check! Understand that everytime I fill the tank...

JP Morgan...hmmm. little tougher. Investment banking. Loans. Financial services...check!

P&G...worlds largest consumer products company...cool. Probably have 25 of their products in my house right now. Understand that, no problems.

Moving on...SOUTHERN Company. Doesn't ring a bell? How about if I tell you that it's the SE United States electrical company? things may be going to hell in a handbasket, what with GRAMMIE dodging little bits of sky as they crash to earth, but I'm reasonably sure that someone in Atlanta is using electricity at this exact moment. No problems here...

Couple others, but you get the idea. Whatever happened today, or yesterday, will just be a blip in 10 years. I was in the crash of 87...no big deal now. I watched PG get cut in HALF one morning (65 points down!!!) in 2003. Big deal.

Yawn.

jeff

16. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

BTW, halfmile...

I didn't answer your question. There are many, many different companies that pay very healthy dividends that they have paid consistently for many years, and raise periodically.

I wouldn't presume to recommend (not my job, I'm a CPA), but you might wish to research SO, PG, XOM, CVX, COP, SCG, KO, C, JPM, DOW, GE, and EAS for yourself.

One other tip: if you invest in stocks that pay a dividend, when the amount of the dividends you collect equals your annual salary, you can quit your job and not much care what the stock price does.

jeff

17. halfmile

Some good ideas here.

Real estate is not on my agenda, our town is filling up with minorities and whole neighborhoods are losing 25% of their value. I just got done rebuilding one after a fire and have had enough of that crap. (although I have many new skills now).

jeff p your info is good. Dan, too. my age requires income. I am not looking for a buy and hold, I am looking for a buy, hold, and clip coupons. If I can get 70% of what I was collecting in rent, and no taxes, no unpaid rent, no plugged drains, no walls kicked in, I will be smiling.

Keep 'em coming.

HM

18. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might look at joining or buying into a investment club . Most brokers in my opinion have only themselves and their company. There are many ways to evaluate a stock or fund besides dividends. Do some research and plan on staying with what you purchase for the long haul. If cash is going to be a concern for you in the next few years then just buy a CD or tax free municipal.

19. smsnyder

Buy real estate while is cheap. all those foreclosues means new renters.

20. smsnyder

Do what i do buy anything at the (right price.) I spent $150,000.00 per month keep my inital investment ever month and make about $5000 per month on that investment. But it takes a little work. What kind of return % is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.