1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ IF YOU KNOW AIRPLANE MOTORS

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Luigi, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luigi

Luigi TS Member

Question what is the cyl arangment of a Nakajima NKIC 14 cyl motor used on
    the Japinese A6M or better known as an ZERO.
    I have worked on the Douglas DC6B R 2800 18 cyl motors as an Aviation
    Electrician mate in the U.S. Navy.

Luigi

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Let me guess...staggered row radial for cooling..built under license from Maseratti or Perrazi?

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but have to be seven and seven. Air cooled radial so it can not be other than seven and seven. Can't divide it any other way. by the way the Zero was a copy of the T6 Texan, a trainer by the way. The Japanese bought a few of them in the thirties and copied them. They used Texans in the movie Tora Tora by the way. Had an old WW11 vet exclaim once that those were not Zeros but Texans during showing of the film. 18 cyl on the Douglas would have to have been three rows, I would guess. The Japanese left out all the armament and other things to give the Zero the climb and speed. Too bad so sad, the F4's and F8u's chewed them up so very badly. Bill

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Twin row 950 hp radial.

Jim

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have heard the Japanese products are sideways, or at least some of em.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Back in the latter part of WWII, Chance/Vought built some Corsairs with a 4 stack 7 cylinder radails. The were refered to as the R4's. These were built as pursuit planes for fleet defense from the Kamakazi's. Very little has been written about these very obscure planes. I know they had a hard time keeping the back two rows cooled enough to keep the pistons from galling. I've seen a couple of sketches of the baffling that was used to try keeping the engine at a reasonable temp and it looked to be a nightmare.

ec90t

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

4360 would you believe four rows of seven cyls?

8. Luigi

Luigi TS Member

The C118 /DC6B R2800 has two rows of 9 cyl 2X9=18. A radial motor can have
    one row of 3 or 5 or 7 or 9. On a 9 cyl motor the firing order is
    1-3-5-7-9-2-4-6-8. More later the boss is calling.

LUIGI AE1

9. Billy Bez

Billy Bez TS Member

Nakajima Sakake 14 cyl.two row air cooled engine. Designed by Nakajima after acquiring license for the French Gnome-Rhone 14K motor. Spec.s for Nakajima Sakae 12 engine 925hp. Bore-5.118 in. Stroke-5.906 in. Disp. 1,700.97 in3

10. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

The P&W R4360 is a 4 row, 28 cylinder air=cooled radial. They were used in later models of the F4U (after the War, I believe) and were the engines in the C-97. The civilian C-97 was one of the few pressurized airliners before the jet age of air transport.

I flew with a retired AF major that had flown the C-97 while on active duty. He was not a fan of the engine. Prone to fires and the magnesium cases were hard to extinguish according to him.

There is a cut-away R4360 at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. It is nick named the corncob engine. It used 145 octane Av-gas for METO power settings.

There is a Zero at the same museum. Unfortunately, I can add nothing to the discussion regarding the engine though.

HBT

11. willing

willing Member

I think you will find that the Corsair with the big engine was the FG-1 built by Goodyear. Don't think it ever made it to the WW II but was flown in the National Air Races by Cook Cleland

Bill

12. Luigi

Luigi TS Member

I talked to a very old Japanese ZERO pilot and he told me about the Nakajima
    NC1C 14 cyl radial motor. There are 7 cyl in the front row and 7 in the back row
    but they offset the back row for better cooling.

Thanks for the help Luigi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.