1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-- Identity Theft Insurance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eric, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been considering Identity Theft Insurance but don't know the "best" one to go with. Costs seem to run from very reasonalbe ($300 for 5 years) to over $20.00 per month per person. Has anyone purchased this Insurance and have any recommendations?

Eric

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Eric- I received an unsolicited offer for identity theft insurance via e-mail. The company did need my SS number, along with all credit card and bank account numbers. For an initial fee of $25, they offered to take care of everything else.

If you wish to post all of the information on this site I will forward it to the company.

Pat Ireland

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There's at least one, maybe two, outfits that for a very reasonable fee provide you with all the advice you need to defeat those trying to steal your identity and will, if their plans fail, cover your costs, including an attorney, up to a million dollars, to restore your good name. Try a Google search and see if you can raise one or both....Bob Dodd

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Check with your banker then your homeowners insurance provider. One should have a good plan if you feel you need one. I think my credit cards also offers same. Ray.......

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I am with Pat on this one. I thought most of this kind of insurance was a scam of one kind or other. Not sure it is even necessary. Losses for credit fraud are still limited under Federal law I think. Jake

6. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Would you really feel comfy giving your SS number,bank account numbers, credit card numbers and other personal infirmation to a company on the internet? Sounds to me that you are making the identity theft folk's job easier.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There are more costs than your credit cards. Ask someone who has had their's stolen and how long it took to get there credit re-established. Most Homeowners Ins. Companies are offering an endorsement covering you up to a certain amount to cover the cost of re-establishing yourself.

It's not a joke but make your own choice. It's like any other risk you take.

Don

8. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

As BigDon mentioned, most home owners insurance companies offer this coverage as an endorsement to thier Homeowners policies. The cost is $15 to $25 per year. The company that I work for also has a dedicated team of folks that go about notifying all your credit issuers to stop/decline/reissue your cards as quickly as possible.

From what i have been told, it takes about 300 hours of work and phone calls to get your credit repaired once you have been victimized. With the ID theft coverage this is all done for you. I don't know about you, but I would rather have paid the $25 and let them deal with the notification and phone calls.

My .02 worth.

Jason

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Here's the outfit that takes multiple steps for you to protect your Identity and will, if you are attacked, assume the costs for restoring your good name and credit including legal advice up to a million bucks for just $10 a month. Web page above will let you see and consider.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

It amazes me that an individual would need this kind of insurance. I would think that the onus would be on the institution lending the money to make sure they knew who they were dealing with. Bill Malcolm

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The trouble is, Bill, once someone has established the credit or whatever using your name but their address, there's no way for anyone else to know if you are the one pulling a scam or someone else. Identity theft/mail fraud was, after drugs and illegal aliens, the most addressed issue in the Federal Court where I was working before my final retirement. It's a real problem. Then, one of the unbelievable situations is how the gov't publishes all the greatest ideas to avoid Identity theft - even that we shouldn't even carry our Soc. Sec. cards on our person but has the Medicare folks send out our cards with the SS number blazed on them....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Someone told me to check credit with all three of the credit companys listed above in another thread. Check one every 4 months for your free report.This nwill cover a year. At least yould know if something was going on..

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Will all the recent reports on scams and thefts, it still amazes me that every week they have a new story of another victim. Usually someone sends someone a large check to be cashed and then you forward then the overage out of your bank account. The checks are always FAKE. If someone sends you a check for an amount they don't owe, DON'T CASH IT!!!! Call the police. It will save you from explaining to your bank how you got duped. IMHO Omaha

14. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

I got this last Friday through the NRA. It's the same one Bob Dodd listed but this one is a special to NRA members.

Does anyone have this service & if so what are your thoughts.

i_shoot

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with Pre Paid Legal?

An office worker at a place where I performed Independent Contractor work hawked this stuff unmercifully. She appeared shady, but the company MIGHT be ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.