1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: IDE cable port question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have a DVD writer which really needs more speed than my 500Mhz Intel Celeron model extra slow dinosaur can deliver. When I plug it in paralel with my hard drive the computer at least acknowledges it's existence although it doesn't work. Probably no surprise in that configuration. So I buy a new IDE 40 pin cable and hook it up to it's own port or whatever it's called on the motherboard. Now the computer can't see it at all. Is it necessary to start up those ports or is there some other installation issue I'm missing. The hardware installer can't see it either. If I can't make this thing work here a new computer will have to be purchased at the expense of shooting, reloading components, hunting, and other real important stuff so help me out here. The drive is a HP lightscribe 1040 DVD RW - whatever that means.

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You did plug in the power cable, right?

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yup, power cable in and light comes on. It spun when it was inparallel with the hard drive. Now it doesn't even do that.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Go into the bios and see if that IDE channel in enabled. I assume the CD drive is the only device on that cable and you've configured the jumpers on the drive as "master."

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

As a long time computer tech ,the most common mistake made in connecting an IDE device is usually to misconnect the 40 pin cable. For most drives, number 1 pin is next to the power supply connector. Cables normally have a red stripe next to the number 1 pin connector, so be sure that is the way you are set up at the drive. Also be sure not to reverse the cable on the main board. If either end of the cable is not properly aligned in its slot, the system will not see the drive. Also, if the DVD drive is the only drive on the cable, it is best to jumper it for master, and then be sure you are using the last connector (normally the end connector if cable has connectors for two drives as is normal) as the middle connector is for slave drive. You can use either connector only if you set the DVD drive for cable select on the jumper. ch)

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You might have just hit it Jerry. I didn't realise it's PER CHANNEL on slave/master. I'll change it to master. Come to think of it the entire thing is my master.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Email me your address and I'll give you the correct cable.

At the risk of repeating some of the good advice above, I offer this:

When you piggy-back a secondary IDE device with your main hard drive, the hard drive should always be connected with the BLACK end, not the GRAY end.

Also, the hard drive should be jumpered as MASTER, (PIN 1 on RIGHT as seen from rear), and the DVD must then be jumpered SLAVE (pin 2 - normally the center pin, the third pin (left-most) is the CS or cable select pin.

Does you computer now use the ribbon cable with a BLUE end? If so, I can send you this one, or if not BLUE (Black, most likely), I'll send you one of them.

No charge - I have hundreds of these cables.

If at all possible, you should avoid running the DVD as a slave with the hard drive. You should have an IDE 2 port and this should be used for the DVD/CD palyer(s). If you run the HD and DVD piggy-backed, you will lose some performance speed on the hard drive.

Don't forget to get to the BIOS on boot-up to make sure the systems sees the correct drives.

Whiz

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Be sure the secondary channel is enabled in the system bios if Windows does not see the drive when it is properly connected. There are actually two types of IDE cables in common use for the time period of your machine. One is a standard IDE 40 pin 40 conductor cable. The other is an 80 conductor 40 pin cable. The 80 conductor cable is used with most later systems using the IDE interface. The 40 pin/ 40 conductor cable would probably work, but if your system supports advanced UDMA modes, the 80 conductor cable may have an advantage in speed and data integrity. The 80 conductor cable is usually distinguished by having a blue connector on the motherboard ens and a Gray and black connector in the middle and end positions. The end of the cable is Master and the center is Slave when using the cable select functions. Even if using the Master/Slave jumper settings, the proper cable positions should be observed. If your system cannot extract digital audio from the drive, a separate audio cable may be required to connect the drive to the sound card/motherboard.

http://www.pcworld.com/video/id,351-page,1-bid,4/video.html

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Finally got the computer to acknowledge the DVD. Using ImgBurn software I can open the dialogue box, get it to accept a file, and accept the order to write it - but for some reason it can't. The drive actually tries to burn, I can hear it speed up, slow down and try again, and the tries show up in the dialogue box. The new cable is blue on one end, black on the other, gray middle. It's hooked up blue/motherboard, black on drive. Thanks all, I'll hit it again tommorrow.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Whiz thank you, does it sound like the one I bought was correct? It has the correct ends with the correct idiot proof polarizing tongue and slot. It is 40 wire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.