1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: I MIGHT have a job!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rrose, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rrose

rrose TS Member

Joe:
    Good luck buddy.
    randy

2. porky

porky TS Member

Tron, Generally an interview is to find out if you will fit into the organization. I know that when I hired people, I knew alot about them. They had the tools I was looking for. I had the potential hirees interview with the people that they would work with. Then they talked I would get my people together to advise me of what they thought. Listen intently, ask questions, don't tell them all you know, you will have a lot to learn. A Ford part doesn't fit a Chrysler. Things are different there in the new organization.Remember that there has always been competition between Ford and Chrysler You will need to be really friendly and try to remember names, that is important. Use this interview as an opportunity to expand your interviewing skills too. If you don't get the position, don't be afraid to call them and ask them why. You might be surprised to learn that it wasn't anything about you. It may be some relative that they have to hire and they need someone to compare to him just to say that they tried and chose(place tongue in cheek here) the best candidate. Identify who will be the person who has the final say in hiring you. That is the person you need to impress the most. Don't be afraid to let them know that you really want the position, not a job. You can get a job at MacDonald's. Lastly, don't be afraid to ask him of what you have to do to get the position. Tell them you'll work for the opportunity to prove your capabilities and then they can decide better. Time you have, a paid position earning an income you don't. I don't know you at all, so I will say that you must be confident in your abilities, but not overly. You need to learn their methods and autos. Ask them what they will do to help guide you and train you also.Ask direct questions and listen intently. They will tell you what skills you will need or if you have them.So finally, always look them in the eyes, keep eye contact, give them firm handshakes, remember their names and always say " Thank you for taking the time to talk to me and answer my questions." You may find an advocate who will fight for you in the group and a friend on the inside is what you need to get hired.

3. porky

porky TS Member

I forgot to say to not appear to be nervous. You can handle this. Interviews are personality test. Believe me I know.

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Tron.......Check your private messages.....Dan

5. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

WHATEVER YOU DO.....DON'T TELL EM YOU ARE A HILLERY FAN!

SERIOUSLY, IF YOU DON'T GET THAT JOB, DROP ME A LINE, I HAVE SOME FRIENDS IN

THE DETROIT AREA WHO MIGHT BE ABLE TO PUSH SOME BUTTONS AT SOME CJD DEALERS.

JOE

XXLUGNUTZ426@AOL.COMXX

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have not had to interview for a long, long time so I can't help you there. I do wish you all the luck in the world. Hope you get it. Mike

7. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Get-er-done

Gave a lot of good advice. One point he made is VERY important.

Identify the person that will make the decision. In our office, the boss sits in on interviews, and of course he has the last word, but 99% of the time he lets the immediate supervisor make the call. We see it all the time. The interviewee focuses on the boss, when he/she should be looking at the head secretary (or me) who will be making the call.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good luck Joe.

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron, spent 30 years in the industry and your right there are plenty of AHoles but a lot of good people as well. The sad part is that theres always at least one A hole in every organazation work related or hobby you just have to figure out how to get over on the jerks you run into. Don't let them destroy your chance to get the job. I'd visit the company web site learn as much as you can about the dalership and the princiapls, talk to some contacts that you've made that can give you some info on the dealership. You've been in the industry along time and you need to be confident but not cocky. Be friendly and know that even if you run into some jerks you'll be there when they'er long gone. Good luck Tron

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Generally, if you get a second stage interview, this means that you meet the basic criteria for the job and are in the hunt. If you are lucky, you are the only candidate. There could be multiple candidates.

If there are a lot of candidates, you may have to undergo a winnowing out process so that the employer can determine the best candidate. Usually, the best candidate is the one who “fits” both the skill and personality requirements for the position.

You could get lucky and get hired in the next interview if there is a good fit in skills and personality. Mid level hires are different than entry level hires. At mid level, the employer is looking for experience and the ability to become effective in a short period of time.

Never say anything bad about your previous employer and do not feel bad about being out of work when your previous employer shuts down. You did not cause the shutdown. Your prospective employer knows this.

A firm handshake, direct eye contact and being well groomed never hurts. Be yourself and be positive. If it’s meant to happen, it will. Good things happen to those who believe in their abilities.

Being knowledgeable about your prospective employer’s products never hurts.

Good luck,

Ed Ward

11. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Tron,

Always send or drop off a follow up letter thanking them for the opportunity for the interview and tell them if you are still interested in the position or not.

You have to follow-through, just like on the trap field.

Good luck to you,

Mike

PS, I grew up in Clawson, where is the dealership (just curious).

12. porky

porky TS Member

Tron, The newest question out there for people when they are being interviewed is "What was your relationship with your parents (really your father)?If you say it was poor or something like that, the interview is over because the interviewer has identified a weakness or character flaw in most people. That is, the person is rebellious toward persons in authority.Always say that you loved your parents and had excellent relationships with them. Another question is " Tell me what your worst habit that you have while you work." I can tell you that you cannot say anything bad about yourself. try something like, I like to work and sometimes I forget what time it is and I work right past quitting time and my wife can get upset at me, but I love my work." Another is "If the interviewer stops talking and just looks at you and time passes without anyone saying anything, that is another technique." Some people break down because they break down from some pressure somewhere and tell all sorts of bad things about themselves. If this situation does happen, after about 15 seconds, ask him if he okay, if you have no answer move closer and try to engage them. Some people have narcolepsey( they fall asleep at the drop of a hat, They look awake, but they aren't). The last thing that you can do in this situation is move toward them and if they suddenly respond about what you are doing, explain that you were afraid that they were having a stoke and you were prepared to get help. But last of all, make this fun. It really is. Don't let the pressure get to you. Remember a$$holes are always going to be there and if you can get them on your side, they will be strong advocates for you.

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sell yourself as if you were an automobile. Emphasize the good and make the bad sound as good as possible.

Pat Ireland

14. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Don't talk about your cat.

15. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tron, I will keep you in prayer and offer this simple advice that Ed Ward touched on. I had a lot of people show up for interviews with ragged pants, shirt out, needing a shave and haircut. Remember the old saying look sharp, feel sharp. Appearance means a lot and helps to start an interview off well. It's alright to let them know that you are very capable and easily trained. Good luck. Jackie B.

16. KTOGP32

KTOGP32 TS Member

Tron, sounds like Kwame is in trouble. Maybe if you have a nice hat you can get his job!

17. chessney

chessney TS Member

Bring donuts! This always works with my workers!!...Ziggy

18. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Don't forget to ask if you will have internet access during the day.

19. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Tron,good luck.

Bo

20. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

When you walk in and great them ...ooze confidence...just not on the floor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.