1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - I gotta jet ski (wth)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just got a a jet ski. Didn’t want it, but I’ve got it. A guy who owes my business money for the last 6 months drop it off. He said he is out of work and waiting to get on disability, and wouldn’t be able to pay me so here is the ski. I took it, better than nothing. It is a 2001 Sea-Doo, 3 passenger. He said it ran last year but when I asked him to start it, it wouldn’t start. Tried to jump it but starter not turning over. Just a click, sounds like a solenoid/starter problem. Hope I can get it to run

The ski is dirty, a lot of “scum” on hull. Dirty torn seat, etc.. My question - what is the best cleaner, scrubber, wax to use on fiberglass? A good cleaning and it might not be too bad of a machine.

I’ve never own a boat other than a small pond john boat. If I get this thing to run what do I need to be legal? Life jacket, I’m sure. How about fire extinguisher, horn, anchor? This thing doesn’t have any of that. If this thing breaks down in the middle of the river, can it be paddled out of way of a barge bearing down on you?

Like I said I didn’t go looking for this thing it found me. Hope I get it to run so I can go pester some fisherman. Hey Tron where do you fish at?

Any jet skiers with any suggestions? Thanks in advance for advice

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Not a jet skier, but a kayaker. To clean things up, firstly try tide liquid in a fairly strong and warm solution. Then consider bleach and bon-ami. I'd check with powered boat owners about waxing the hull, I am not sure about whether small displacement, but powered hulls, require some roughness (for a bubbly boundary layer) for best efficiency. I do know that one should not wax/polish the hull of a kevlar kayak like I use...that kills the boundary layer, slows the boat, although it seems to be paradoxical.

I suggest that you first check with West Marine, a chain store that carries marine products...they likely will know and have a website.

There are also great products to put on the gel coat (whole boat) that stop UV rot...stuff much better than Armor All. Not sure what's required legally, probably varies from state to state. In my (17 foot ski kayak) I always wear a dedicated kayaking flotation device, pfd, take rescue equipment, and an extra paddle. I think a tow rope should go with you, water, fire extinguisher, emergency paddle. But the problem in the water is with a heavy boat; try and paddle it you will wear out quickly and become hypothermic. Consider a wet suit and always carry the ten essentials as per mountaineering practices. So...with all this being said, I also suggest that you contact a jet-skiing club. I've always wanted one, btw. Also, you will be safe if you always keep in mind: "Air and Water: They are trying to kill you!!!" Basic as head on the stock; eye on the rock...Good luck!!!

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bisi, the first thing you need to do is get the title for the ski and the trailer as well. Get them in your name and register both the ski and the trailer and pay for that. Then I would recommend that you take the Coast
    Guard safty class for small boats. Here you will learn what you need on your ski and all the rules of navagation on the water. Which side of bueys you need to be on and so forth.You will need a class III life vest and other misc. safty gear. You will also need to get insurance for your ski as well. You are responceable for any damage your ski does to any boat,dock,person on the water. If your ski sinks you are responceable for the gas and oil spill into the waterway as well as the savage of your ski in navagable waterways. Be sure to contact your auto insurance as well, so you can add the trailer as well.Boat insureance might not cover your ski will towing on the road, find out.You will need to get the ski and trailer in your name even before you can sell it, the other option. Good Luck and have fun. Break-em all. Jeff

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jetski's are even lower than 1100's in my book..........

5. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Jet Skis make good potato gun targets.

Focus on the leading edge!

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Bisi,

I used to work on PWC's a few years back, the first thing to check for is whether or not engine is locked up. The starter will make a clicking sound when it tries to engage like a solenoid is bad, but the engine won't budge. If you find that the engine is free, check the compression. You want to find out how sound this thing is mechanically.

As far as the cleaning goes, a pressure washing followed up by a good hand washing with Simple Green and water solution will get the job done. You may need to use a brush on the really bad areas. You can wax it with any of the waxes that is safe for gel coat finishes.

ec90t

7. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I use soft scrub on my boat once a year followed by a good wax. Works for me.

Rickyd

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

MY SON HAD ONE. HIS OIL INJECTION SYSTEM DID NOT FUNCION RIGHT AND IT TOOK OUT A CYLINDER. HE FIXED THE CYLINDER, VERY EXPENSIVE. HE WOUND UP HAVING TO MIX
    OIL WITH THE FUEL. THE NEXT SEASON A WRIST PIN /PISTON TOOK A DUMP AND IT SEIZED.
    BEFORE YOU CLEAN IT UP, MAKE SURE MOTOR IS FREE AND HAS GOOD COMPRESSION
    BEFORE YOU INVEST TIME AND MONEY. IF IT IS TOAST, SELL IT AS IS, NOT WORTH THE MONEY TO REPAIR UNLESS THE REST OF IT IS MINT.

I WISH I HAD A DIME FOR EVERY USED CAR/BOAT/ LAWN TRACTOR ETC I HAVE COME UPON UPON OVER THE YEARS WHERE THE OWNER SEIZED THE ENGINE AND TRIED TO SELL IT WITH
    THE LINE " I THINK IT ONLY NEEDS A STARTER BECAUSE I TRIED JUMP STATING IT AND IT STARTER ONLY CLICKS BUT DOESNT SPIN!"

9. mulls427

mulls427 Member

sounds like the battery is probably bad. 2001 ski original battery is most likely shot. Try charging though it may come up enough to turn it over.
    I like West Marines citrus based boat soap (orange). It really cleans PWC's with little effort. Definitely get the title or registration asap. in NJ where I ski boats 12' and under are not titled just registered. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.