1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/Hughes Net

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Has anyone out there have any information about internet service through Hughes Net? I know it's more expensive than my DSL; however I spend 8 months a year in Arkansas and 4 months in Wisconsin. With my Directv, I just transfer my account to Wisconsin and back to Arkansas as needed. However, when I am in Wisconsin; I have no access to a phone line. This means I am forced to go to a library to utilize the computer. It would seem that I could remove the equipment and transport it back and forth and have continuous access. Thanks for any input. Ed

2. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

dish is larger than for tv tricky set up would have to have tech to set up each move my company used to install them must have absolute clear southern view

mollyone

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

You might check ClearWire. You can take their modem anywhere they have service and just set it up, hook to a USB port, and you're off and running. Their signal is coming from the plethora of cell phone towers and, unless you're really in the boonies, you may have coverage. You do need to be relatively close to such a tower however; maybe a mile? Check on the URL above and put your address(s) in to check for coverage.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Clearwire has very limited coverage. If you go to their website and click on the coverage map link you'll see that most of the country is not covered. I couldn't find any coverage here in S. Florida and that's not exactly the boonies.

Eric

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I've got Hughesnet and it is an option if you have no other. Beware that it also has a 200MB per 24 hour period limit on downloads. If you exceed it, you are basically shut off for a day. This may sound like alot of bandwidth but if you multiple people in the house it can be hit. The aiming, etc. has to be done by a professional. DirectTV is like finding a basketball in the sky, this is like finding a golfball. It is also extremely expensive. I would look for some used equipment possibly, just make sure you can get upgraded, they did me for free to the 7000 unit. It is faster than the previous 4/6000 series.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I can't justify the cost no matter how fast it might be ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

If you want internet service (besides dial-up) and live in the middle of nowhere, the cost is easy to justify.

8. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Try Verizon or one of the data cards that work off the cell towers. I use a Verizon USB data card here in Central FL and Clinton County IA. Downloads are about 100KBytes/sec and uploads are anywhere from 5 to 70KBytes/sec. Not limited, that I know, by bandwidth. HarryC

9. esoxhunter

Harry: What are the costs to use these cards and are they pretty reliable as to receiving signals to operate the system? Also, are you limited to the amount of time that you can use each day?? Thanks. Ed

10. Robb

Robb Member

Not to step on Harry but I use an AT&T card some. They are only as good as the cell service in that area.

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

verizon and alltell cover most of the US now that would be the best way to go. I have Hughes but in May am going to cell service. It dont have the weather problems

12. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

esox- The card was free, I pay $60 a month for 5GB a month and $0.49/MB for anything extra. Never over 1 or 2 gig. I can hook it to my laptop and while I'm driving between IA and FL get my E-mail. I have to use an external antenna at both homes as both are wrapped in aluminum. I haven't been "dropped" but at times service is slow depending on if there is a lot of traffic from other people. Verizon, and most likely AT&T, give you a 3 month trial time to see if you can get good reception.

As Robb states they are only as good as the cell service in that area.

13. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I have a card for my work laptop. The cell tower must have data capability for the card to work I was told. Some of the older cell towers do not have this "newer" technology. I have encountered areas where my cell will work and my laptop will not.

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I have had a Hughes Net dish for 4 years, when it works it's great. At our location this is the only option for high speed. The alignment of the dish is, as stated earlier here, critical and I would say it's akin to finding one sand pebble on the moon with a pair of binoculars, it takes a pro to aim.

My suggestion is to look at all other alternatives before you do Hughes.

15. andybull

andybull Active Member

I have Hughes in my SC home due to the fact that DSL is not available, I mainly use it to view my surveilance cameras over the internet (upload is SSSSSlowww). It is relatively expensive.

I just cancelled the verizon card service, due to the fact they claimed that I was going over the 5 GB limit on my laptop, (I guess it was due to my camera use) an average of 6 hours a day five days a week. they wanted $200.00 a month for the upgraded GB's.

16. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I don't know if "wild blue" is an option where you are, but I have had it for 2 years and would never go back to dial up. But I live in the Boone docks. BRGII

17. esoxhunter

The way it looks I will be forced to live with taking my laptop to the library; while staying in Wisconsin. Thanks for the input. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.