1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Hp or DELL or ? OT

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shotgunbutch, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Which is a better home office computer? I don't need one for games or music.
    Would need Microsoft office. The little woman has pictures she would put on it.
    Like one that plays DVDs and can rewrite CDs and has a place for a floppy disk.

Thanks Arnie

2. 3200

3200 TS Member

Look at IBM/Lenovo, too.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Dell!

4. trap41

trap41 TS Member

I second the IBM/Lenovo statement. IBM/Lenovo laptops are indestructible work horses that have become affordable.

5. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You could not pay me to use HP!!!! Dell used to be real good, but CS is now in India or somewhere they speak English, but NOT very understandable.

6. Loyac

Loyac Member

The Sony VAIO line... You get what you pay for. John

7. TC

TC TS Member

Have been very happy with Gateway desk top and Toshiba notebook.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have had a number of desktops I used at home and business and have never had any trouble with my HP's. I prefer the IBM laptops, key boards just feel better than Dell's(I have a Dell 610 and 640). Get the fastest you can afford and that will somewhat extend the life span. My HP here at the house is 2.2 Gig and I've had it for about 4 years and it is still plenty fast enough. Jackie B.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I have had three IBM/Lenovo notebooks during the past 10 months and none of them work well. Two came without software that I paid for, two had to have their operating systems replaced, all had touch pads with the mouse pointer darting around the page and unwanted scrolling and I am now demanding that the one I now have be replaced.

IBM provides the tech support (in Atlanta) for Lenovo computers. Not that many can speak understandable English and their repair depot seems unable to fix my computer when I send it there. Last time, it was gone for 12 days when the keyboard and motherboard were replaced on a $2,400 computer I've had for less than a year.

The first laptop I bought last year was a Dell. It was replaced by a second Dell, which was returned for full credit a few months later. Both were pieces of junk.

Pick up the current copy of "Computer Shopper" to find ratings on both desk and laptops.

Rollin

10. bigdogtx

Big Dog, Whats wrong with HP? I have had mine for six years with no problems so far. Shootlow

Shootlow,

Bought a HP laptop at Best Buy for my son and the second week the hard drive went out and it took THREE WEEKS to get it. My son had to go to Kinko's during all this time.

My daughter also got one and her hard drive and modem went out the 5th month. The CS SUCKS. It took HOURS for them to agree that it was a warranty item and 2 weeks to get the parts. Maybe the PC's are ok, as both of these incidents were laptops. Neither of these incidents were from abuse or our fault, but we had to argue like we were criminals.

My experience, yours may vary.

11. gotbass

gotbass Member

Get a Mac.

12. bigdogtx

Shootlow,

Traded it for a Beretta 682 Gold Unsingle. Really like this gun. Shot doubles for the first time and had a Blast(pun intended)!!! Jim

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Stay away from HP. Their support has gone to the dogs. I have four HP systems that are now about as good as doorstops. They can't supply drivers or replacement parts for their proprietary hardware and don't seem to care. Since Compaq is now part of HP, their support has suffered some as well. I will not recommend another HP product until they get their support back in order. Not only were they unable to assist me, they flat out refused on several occasions. My issues were not user errors and were mostly about obtaining hardware and driver support. A few were related to faulty or poorly designed printer drivers, or unresolved conflicts with other HP printers.

Lenovo/IBM, Dell, and a host of others are usually better in the support area. I can get drivers and parts for a ten year old Dell Machine. Granted, some of the hardware is proprietary and not quite standard, but it is usually available. Try getting something like a set of recovery or driver discs for a two or three year old HP. It won't happen often. Forget about finding drivers for download.

14. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've had Gateways and my present one is a Dell. Good luck with both. I agree with getting the fastest processor you can afford.

Bill

15. Baber

Baber TS Member

Forget all the WINDOZ junk. Buy APPLE. The Macintosh is easier to use more stable and a better value. Office is available if you must have it. Its great for photos and such.

An best of all ..... very few if any virus problems.

TB

p.s. and if you must run WINDOZ it will run it.

16. 100straight

100straight Member

I worked as a IT Administrator for 9 years, and I managed nearly 1000 computers at one time. I still work as a tech consultant on the side. I would never own a Dell, nor would I recommend anyone buy a Dell.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

17. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

The comments pretty much discredits the larger PC 'manufacturers' which are really assemblers and integrators in disguise as all of the parts are freely available.

I have a Dell at home and have only had one problem with it - memory. When I tried to get it replaced, not only did Dell TS not believe me (I'm an a long time computer field engineer), they insisted I buy another one which was preposterous. I found the manufacturer of the memory (removed it and found the mircon technology tag on it), called the manufacturer and found it had a lifetime warranty and replaced it.

The point of this is, if I have to go through all that work, why not just build the computer myself? I did that for my son, he ended up with a high end gaming machine for about half the price. I will do that again when I want a new one.

Dell has been in decline for some time now, I suspect people are fed up with their customer service. It seems more manufacturers do not want to talk to their customers and can't figure out why sales is in a downward spiral. We use Gateway at work, they seem reliable, but I don't know what kind of customer service they have.

As for the MAC, there are far more applications written for the Windows environment than the MAC. One never knows which interests may come up next so I would want the largest market coverage possible. Windows gets its negative reputation from the idea that they try to be all things to all people (or the home buyer operating systems has the most 'hooks' installed for as many different applications as possible), one of the reasons for buying but also one of the reasons for faulty code too. The professional versions of Windows have fewer hooks and consequently are more stable environments. The problem is you have to do more to install the software, or be a bit more knowledgeable for a successful application installation. Case in point, I have a pair of Windows 2000 SP4 Professional boxes from Gateway running a couple of specific applications and have not had 1- a blue screen of death crash and 2- a system hang (no response from mouse or keyboard) and the systems have been running 24X7 for nearly 2 years now. These systems are not on the internet either, so updates and upgrades are performed when I want them and if I think they are necessary.

Depending on your skill level, I would opt for assembling my own computer or finding a local shop willing to assemble one for you. You will have far more control over what goes into the computer and the quality of components and the software selection than buying from one of the big manufacturers. You will also have control over the "crapware" that is installed too - SW manufactures that offer discount incentives to companies like Dell to install their crapware, greatly reducing the price of the operating system to the point where it is nearly a giveway for Dell.

Lastly, after reading all of the complaints, I know companies will use refurbished parts for replacement parts when repairing a computer. The parts that have been refurbished have not necessarily had the root cause of the failure addressed, just the symptoms necessitating another repair cycle.

I hope this helps,

Mike

18. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

The last 20 years or so of my working life was spent as a
    Programmer for a large Steel company. A couple of years
    prior to my retirement that company settled on Dell as their
    sole PC supplier. When I retired, I bought a Dell for my
    home computer, have had not one lick of a problem with it
    and I'm happy as a pig in a mud puddle with it. I now teach
    Computers for Senior Citizens as part of the SeniorNet organization,
    and all the computers in our classroom (and the University
    classrooms where we have our classes) are Dells. Lots of
    support here for Dell. I have no time whatever for HP,
    their Customer Service sucks big time. Since they outsourced
    it overseas, they have gone steadily downhill. I bought an
    HP printer as a gift for a relative a couple of years ago,
    it came with the software on a CD. The CD was blank. I
    tried to explain this to one of the pidgin English folks
    from Bangledesh or wherever, but finally gave up. I got
    a CD from the store where I bought the printer and made a
    copy of it myself..... No more HP here, that's for sure!

AdamsRibs

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you buy ANT PC, you will get the Vista operating system and that is currently a disaster!!

20. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

All are non-priority so they can be repaired and added on to. Pick as much or as little as you want. But only thing that is not included in any of the systems is the operating system.And they have them at great prices with system. Also a 3 year "hot swap" they mail you another computer and you send them your old one if something happens.

Rock

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.