1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: How to sell idea for upgrade on drill motor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I know of a way to increase the practical usefulness of nearly any hand held drill motor that uses a jacobs type chuck. It solves one of the most vexing problems that anyone who uses these things experiences, and the cost to the manufacturer is zero. I know as a guy who uses these things I would love to have my new drill motor arrive this way. I actually modify mine in about two minutes to use this idea and it works great.
    I think this idea is worth some money, not tons but some, but I have no idea how to sell it. How can an idea like this which may or may not be patententable be marketed to prospective manufactures? To the best of my knowledge in today's business world, once they have your idea, no matter what they've agreed to, you can forget being paid. Any ideas?

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Consult a patent attorney.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Patent it then talk

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bring along a partner with deep pockets.

5. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Find a patent attorney. Get your infringement research going. Just because it isn't on the market doesn't mean it hasn't already been patented.

If it is original, apply for a patent. You can patent an improvement to an existing product if in the eyes of the patent office it is a significant enough change.

With your patent applied for, shop it to the current manufacturers. Black and Decker, DeWalt, etc. Find an existing manufacturer willing to incorporate your idea into an existing product line and pay you a royalty per item; or buy your patent outright.

6. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Perazzitms is correct.

Establish an invention date right away. Sketch your idea, write a description, and have an impartial witness sign, date, and retain copies of both.

You can do your own cursory patent search at USPTO.gov but ultimately it’s best to hire an attorney. STAY AWAY from those late night infomercial type patent assistance advertisers.

Good Luck!

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Ideas themselves are not pattenable it needs to be a product. Design a prototype( drawing) if you can find someone that can use a CAD program thats would be great dimension the drawing and date with your name. Now get in touch with a patten attorney. Next step find someone to build a prototype from your patten pending drawing. Just went through this process with a product that my wife and her friend have brought to market.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

How much does a patent cost?

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

That little button thingy on Sears ratchets was thought up by a guy in a Sears warehouse I believe. Well long story short he submitted it to Sears and they tried to use it without compensating him. He had to sue to get anything for his idea. Be careful as other posters mentioned. Oh, by the way Black and Decker owns/is Dewalt. They bought Dewalt several years ago becasue pros would not buy Black and Decker products. Just some trivia. Bill

10. Bruce Specht

The patten it self is relatively inexpensive, it's the attorneys that are so costly. $300 per hr it takes a great amount of reserach prior to submiting for a pattten, then it takes some time for the patten office to let yuo know what needs to be fixed or added to the paper work to get the patten. Not sure yet what the patten itself cost we're waiting to hear it takes some time. Once you get the pattne as the holder you are responsible for monitoring if peoepl are infrinig on you pattten more lawyer cost.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There is also the disturbing thought that your invention might just be similar to something that has already had a patent issued.

That's what the attorneys are for.

Mash the link for a nice searchable website about patents, but you have to word your search carefully because you can get more info than you want.

hm

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I was thinking maybe shop the idea around in the same terms as I have set forth here. If someone talks serious with me get an agreement signed. If they don't follow through then hire a PI for a lot less than a patent attorney and get some dirt on him/her. Send them a picture or two and tell them I'd like for our agreement to be kept. Seems a lot easyer and probably more certain than the patent attorney route. Keep us posted Bruce on how that works out and if you have to feel free to blackmai...........uhm, that is, use my idea. Thanks all for your advice and ideas. Got that site bookmarked Halfmile.

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Bruce, I meant total cost, including all fees. I was thinking several thousands at least. So unless it's a good idea it can be a losing proposition.

14. Bruce Specht

My wife and her partner submitted by way of the patten attorney must have been April when that was done. To date they have heard nothing about the progress on obtaining a patten. I'll keep up posted as to what takes place and the blkmay your idea wire guy a may have to use that myself.

15. Pugs

Pugs TS Member

I was fortunate enough to work with a very clever engineer at a marine equipment manufacturer. When I visited his office one time, I noticed several picture frames with a $1.00 bill in them. He explained that the money is what he got from the company that successfully patented his idea/product. I asked him why he just did't quit the company and market his product himself.. he explained that it costs about $20,000 to $25,000 dollars to go through the patent process...in other words, be ready to put your money where your mouth/idea is.

16. slugger

slugger Member

I got a patent late last year on a device I invented. The patent lawyer fees was around $15,000. The process is a long one. Mine took 5 years to get.

The process is to document the original idea, have it written up in patent lingo with drawings, then file for a provisional patent. Once the provisional patent is issued you can use the patent pending with your idea. This takes about 6 months.

At this point you could also start to shop your idea without spending the additonal cash for the patent. Having the provisional patant in place stakes your claim that you thought of it first, even though the patent hasen't been issued.

If somebody else tried to patent your idea, they would lose in court since you have it documented that it was your idea first. You would have to talk the details of how this works with a patent attorney.

17. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

Any ideas?

Is it a cup holder?

tom

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Send the drawings, etc to youself in a registered mailer and do not open it until an attorney advises so. Doing this established a date for the development. Song writers do this quite often.

Do this even if you are going to persue a copyright... which is expensive. I know I did it in college long ago and it was expensive for me then.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.