1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: How to Remove Damaged Vent Shade

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by prairiedog, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I got caught in a hailstorm coming home from the trap range two weeks ago. The hail damaged three of four lexan auto vent shades on my car (pounded one down to nothing). What's the best way to remove the damaged vent shades with least amount of damage to car? Easy method would be good too. I like easy.

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

prairiedog, at the risk of being chastised by "the kitty litterist", here is what you do. Use a hair dryer and heat the 3m tape and body and gently pry back the shades. If there is any tape left on the paint you can use mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol to clean it off.

JMHO...Jerbear

3. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

4. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Drhuner: I thought it was 7 1/2 or 8s on this forum? I guess 9s would work but I think I'll go with Jerbear this time.

5. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

How about a piece of braided fishing line and use it like a saw to cut the adhesive tape. My only concern with the heat gun method is that you could ruing the paint if you weren't careful.

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Well, I guess you would not put the hair dryer on high and just let it set in one spot would you? Keep it moving jsut like when you use it as a hair dryer. I have seen eggs fried on car hoods in the summet and it did not ruin the paint. All kidding aside, use the hair dryer and or the fishing line. Heck use both and saw back in forth with the line. Of course a helper would make it much easier.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

You can just pull it off, wont hurt the paint but the rubber adhesive will stay. Acetone or another adhesive remover will work but the fast way is an eraser wheel with an air tool.

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Sounds like an insurance claim to me ... let the insurance company worry about it.

If the hail was that bad and did that type of damage what did it do to the vehicle itself?

9. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

Mr Newbius, I was lucky. My car didn't sustain much more than damaged vent shades and lots of small dimples on the hood, roof and trunk. Others were not so fortunate. I saw several with cracked windshields, broken headlights, broken taillights, and smashed side mirrors.

The hailstorm lasted about 15 minutes with golfball sized hail mostly but some larger. It came down so thick and fast that you couldn't see 50 feet. It was 4-6" deep on the road and caused an instant ground fog that reduced visibility even more. I haven't seen hail like that in decades.

The car is 8 years old so I won't bother with filing an insurance claim ($500 deductible). More trouble than it would be worth.

10. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Depends on his deductible and how he structured his insurance policy. here in the outer ring of Detroit, most people carry a $1000 deductible collision and $500 on comprehensive. I've even seen $1000 for both because of the drivers record. If there is no other hail damage, then there is now reason to make a claim. Vent visors run $50.00 and under and to install them takes a whole 20 mins.

Jerbear

11. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Prariedog, you may be better off if you call your insurance company and see what they are willing to do, they may replace the hood, decklid and repair the roof and get a new paint job out of the deal for your $500 deductible. We never mudded hail marks when it was easier to replace the vertical parts with used hood and decklid. Then you fix the roof and paint the whole car. Because of the age of the car you need to blend the paint color so a total paint job could be called for. Chances are there are pock marks on the top of the quarter panels and fenders so they would have to be repaired as well and painted.
    Insurance differs from state to state so ask and then make your decision. You never know, you may get a new looking car out this act of God.

This is coming from an ex collision repair facility owner and not a Walmart price tag watcher, so those who feel the need to trash my answer about collision work versus Walmart can take it somewhere else.

Good luck Prariedog

JMHO...Jerbear

12. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Prariedog, remember you pay insurance for a reason, use it. Hail damage is an act of God and not a chargable offence against you, your insurance will not go up.

Jerbear

13. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

It may be a little late to ask, but someone has to. What's a vent shade?

Neil

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks, Neil

I don't know, either.

15. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Something that the infamous Neil Winston does not know??? I am shocked I thought Presidents were the know alls of everything.

A vent shade/visor goes along the upper edge of your windows so that you can roll them down an inch or so and no rain can come in but you still have ventilation.

16. B.C.

B.C. Member

What ever you decide do not wipe it down with acetone ! B.C.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Next time get them from the link above, look for "side window deflectors". No adhesive required, they slip into the window channel in each door.

Eric

18. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

What, hailstorms and record lows in Florida, in April! Someone needs to call the Global warming folks and tell them their theroys are flawed. Jake

19. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/?action=view&current=010108010403010402200703213d9760315.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

hahahaha

Jerbear

20. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

BC Okay, no acetone. What about lacquer thinner?

Eric, Thanks for the tip. Weathertech side window deflectors look like the way to go and don't cost much more than the adhesive type.

Anyone know what insurance companies use as the value for totalling out a car? Is it the trade in value, retail value or some other number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.