1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT HOW DOES A FUEL GAUGE GET PINED???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by break25, Jan 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. break25

break25 TS Member

I'm back again. After getting my brakes fixed, I now find that my fuel gauge needle goes way over the FULL mark. When I slow down to stop it goes back to over full.

Is it a float or an electrical problem or is it a GM problem that my mechanic said many Jimmys have this problem.

The whole fuel pump and float was replaced last year.
    Trying to make the car last .

Chazz

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a piece of paper clipped to my visor in the ol' 87 Chvy 4WD. When I fill up I write down the milage.(at leat the speedometer still works.)

I know I have to fill up before 200 miles elapse. If anyone has an easy solution here I may or may not implement it since I have been living with it for 9 years this way. (there is a baffle in the fill spout so the old stick in the pipe method doesn't work here.)

HM

3. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

In the "old" days. There was one wire going to the sending unit. Pull the wire off and ground it. The gauge would go to full.

It it would go to full, the the sending unit was bad.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

How does a fuel gauged get "pegged" Answer--Leaded fuel- its heavier and weighs the fuel gauge needle down more.

If it was a Ford- thats understandable.

I am sorry- couldnt help it-- Trons humor has rubbed off apparently.

regards from the great state of Iowa

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have replaced many GM fuel pump modules for poor gauge readings. We use only OEM GM fuel pumps from the dealer. Just becouse its a AC delco doesnt mean crap. Getting a OEM pump from the dealer then buying a AC delco from a parts store and compare. We did find a source for just the float sender unit....just it cost 95.00 bucks!!! For what it takes in labor it pays to replace complete unit. GM fuel pumps have been a good money maker for us. I have only seen a handfull of dash units go bad. Also a few bad wire harness. This has been getting worse with the newer models. The newer GMs get a gauge that flickers quickly back and forth.

6. break25

break25 TS Member

I liked the one about the leaded fuel and the float.
    I must have one of those little plastic wheel milage counters around some where and I'll use the advice about the 200 mile Gas Up.

The fuel pump that I replaced was a OEM GM part. I was a GM service writer and I was owed somwe favors and paid mechanics price.
    If GM is having so much trouble, they should have put a access plate in the trunk or tire well.
    Still no suggestions as to why it gets pined or than a BAD PART from GM

Thanks.

I hope we never lose this site as Trapshooters have ALWAYS be helpful om all type of subjects.

CHAZZ

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Chazz, I've seen a lot of GM vehicles where the fuel gauge indicator needle winds up of the outside of the full "pin" when the battery cables are momentarily connected backwards, jumper cables are installed backwards or correctly but cause a spark or other things that can cause a voltage spike. Sometimes the client could not recall anything being done that could cause a spike. We just removed the instrument cluster and moved the indicator needle back to the correct side of the "pin."

Ed

8. break25

break25 TS Member

Average Ed,
    I thought about that as my car was in for service that it might be an electrical problem. But, my tech said no . "It is a GM problem".
    Ed my gauge doesn't really have the pin, but it goes passs the full to fuller while driving instead of full to empty. All the other gauges work fine.

Thanks CHAZZ

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Once while wandering forlornly around in the back of a dash panel I found an unexplainable little box in the power feed to the guages. Had to call the dealer and talk to a tech.

"why son, that's the Voltage Reducer."

"What do it do?"

"It reduce the voltage to the guages".

"All the guages?"

"No, not the Battery guage"

"The gas guage?"

"Yup".

That was then, this is now. In all likelihood now the sending unit is probably sent through an emission control sensor to a circuitry module connected to the main computer that runs everything.

I know my Buick could tell me the gas cap was loose.

Spent my whole career in construction electronics, and still have to give up on this crap.

It don't have to be a very large clip to hold the paper on the visor. When it gets full of entries I use the receipt from the pump for the next batch.

HM

10. 682LINY

682LINY Member

hook up a good scanner,,,,tech 2 or snap on,,,,will have a gas gauge reading function,,,,if both gauge and scanner read the same,,,,sender problem,,,,,if they read diffrent instrument cluster problem,,,,,that is not counting possible wireing harrness and conection problems,,,,,also was a campain to replace wire haness to fuel pump/sender with new style when replaceing pump,,,,,,all this depends on yeay and applcation,,,,,,good luck

11. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

I've not owned ANY vehicle over five years of age whose gas gauge was accurate.
    You learn to compensate rather quickly, though, and it's not a huge issue.

12. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

average ed just wanted to say i was shocked when i opened the back pages of shotgun sports and no averageed column. went right to the front to find out where you were. you should be at the front as i read your article first.keep writing and post more here. to heck with the jerks most of us like to see your name on here.jackmitch

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words, Jack.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.