1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:How do I Lose Vista, install XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I've had enough of Vista. Since I own XP, I tried to install it. It refuses to install due to "compatibility issues" for which microsoft has no fix. Does this mean XP won't install on my new HP Pavillion, or that Vista is blocking it? How do I get it to install?

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I'm hardly an expert, but it seems you can simply reformat the HD and then install. I would guess an install over Vista would be a no-go each time. I bet a Geek Squad type person would tell you for free...or do a search on the 'net, that's where I got information enough to do a "high level" reformat and installed XP on some machines at work that were tossed out due to virus problems. I just reformatted those Dells, installed XP and the new owners have had no issues with them.

So..do a search on the 'net; I bet there is a website that is dedicated to taking a computer from Vista to XP.

3. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You will probably have to reformat your drive. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD FILES YOU WANT TO KEEP TO A FLASH DRIVE/MEMORY STICK _BEFORE_ YOU DO IT THOUGH. You will also need all of your other program cds to reinstall.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, found a good set of instructions here on the net. Thanks.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

None of Microsoft's O/S are backwardly compatible. As bigdogtx noted, you'll probably need to format the hard drive and load XP that way. Also note, that you may have files, some from Internet Explorer which may not come back properly. You may also have some compatability issues with software files and their relations with Vista and XP.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

You can't do it yourself!

Win XP does not have all the drivers necessary for your newer computer.

It takes a techie to know where to find them all. They are making a good living converting Vista puters to XP.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Go to the system manufacturer's site and download the latest drivers for your system for XP. If they are not available, note what devices are in place and the drivers being used in Vista. Backup your system! You can make a complete image of the drive if you want, or you can just save whatever files you will need. Make sure you save any downloaded programs and license numbers, especially your antivirus, etc. Be sure you have the recovery or Vista install disks. If they are on a partition on the drive, you can usually make the disks using a utility provided by the system manufacturer.

Put the XP disk in the drive and delete the partitions during the install process and reformat the drive to NTFS.

Start the Installation and when it finishes, check the devices and drivers in the device manager through the control panel (Control panel/System/Hardware tab/device manager). Look for big yellow question marks. Those are the devices that were not configured by XP. Those are the ones to find drivers for first. After that, be sure to look for updated drivers for the video. That usually gives some of the most trouble.

One word as well, you might want to be sure to use the latest XP disk with SP3. If you don't have it, you can usually make it by "slipstreaming" your current copy. Google will get you the details. If the XP disk is a recovery disk for another manufacturer, it probably won't work.

Hope that helps.

8. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

My HP came with XP on it, I had to reformat it and re install XP, found out my computer did not come with backup disk (s) for XP. After reformatting the hard drive I consulted the manual and found out the disk images for the backup disks were on the hard drive I just reformatted but could be ordered from HP for some $cash$. Anyway make some install disks before you format your drive in case you ever want to go back to Vista. Microsoft in their infinite wisdom is no longer supporting XP at the end of this year (I think). Drivers for most hardware that came with your computer can be found at HP by model number for your computer.
    The only exception for mine was a DVD viewer I had to get somewhere else.

tom

9. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

tom is right xp is out in january. If you notice about every update has some things that are common to vista. rick

10. VNVET

VNVET Member

You will need the full version of XP, not the install disc that came with another computor. Those OEM install disc are specific to that computor. XP will format the drive automatically. You need to find out if your hard drive is a SATA, if it is you will need to "slipstream" the driver onto your XP install disc, there are no SATA drivers with XP. You can also go into the BIOS and change the SATA to IDE before the install. If you can't find the drivers for the SATA drive it will run just fine as an IDE. You also need to change the "boot" sequence so that your DVD/CD drive is first. Once you install XP, then there is a sequence for several of the drivers which should be installed first, especially if your using a laptop. It helps greatly if you have another computor with internet access and a DVD/CD RW drive because your downgrade computor may not have all the needed drivers and all the hardware may not function properly. You may need a working computor to find the needed drivers, write to a DVD/CD for installing on your downgrade computor. Don't forget to go back in the BIOS and change the "boot" sequence back to HD first.

There is much info on the web about how to do this reguardless of the brand of computor you want to downgrade. Do a lot of research first and don't be intimidated by how complicated it looks. It's not that difficult.

Jim

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

One thing I failed to mention. If you are unable to delete the Vista Partition, you may need to use an earlier windows boot disk with FDisk or a similar program. They have versions for a usb stick as well, if you don't have a floppy. Some of these disks may have trouble with some SATA drives, since a driver is needed with some "non-native" chipsets. I use a Windows PE disk, which is a bootable form of Windows and runs off of the CD and not the hard drive. There is no installation either. It allows you to do certain functions outside of your installation of windows. Bart PE is one that you can make for XP. The Vista PE V 2.0 is available for Microsoft. It is buried in a large migration tool package and you'd have to extract it on a Technician system that the package has been installed on. Lot's of work, but it's slick. You could also use a bootable live version of Linux to wipe the drive. The easiest would be to go to Bootdisk.com and look for one that works for you. Microsoft has a set of boot/install disks for XP, but if the installer on the disk is unable to format the drive, so would these disks.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wireguy just curious, what don't you like about Vista? I mean what is seemingly upsetting you about this OS?

Bob Lawless

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

It is slow for starters. One of my biggest things is the Photos section since I am an amateur photographer. Vista's PHOTOS section is far more difficult and slower to use. You can't see some of what is in any album like with XP photos.I can't resize a photo easily like I could with XP's image resizer powertoy. It just seems like nothing is straight forward and easy to use like with XP. Like they took XP and changed everything but improved nothing. I have my original purchased XP disk. I don't like Vista's internal search feature which was readily accessible, made sense, and easy to use on XP. I will make installation disks for the Vista since it was already on the new computer.

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wireguy thanks for answering. I was curious because I have 2 computers with Vista Home Premium and I actually like it better I never have a software issue as Long as I make sure my updates are current.

I am not a photographer by any means I do like taking pictures. When I bought my laptop it came with a program by Google called Picasa you might want to check it out I can see all of the pictures I have in each album with no problem.

Again thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

Bob Lawless

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks Bob, I'll look for it. Everything about XT seems simpler, more logical, and more straight forward to me. No software issues, just moving around in it seems more disjointed and illogical. Just as an example, resizing pictures. With XP I could do it in 10 seconds with the powertoy resizer. Do you think they could have built that feature in to Vista? If it's there I sure haven't found it. I won't even say it isn't there. Could be I just haven't found it. But something as fundamental as resizing is to digital photography, why wouldn't it be sticking right out there where it is obvious?

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Grabbed it. Thank you.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Myself, I like Picaso, but the earlier version. I didn't care for the last one.

I also like PicSizer for resizing pictures.

I take all my pics at at higher pixel setting and then use PicSizer to change them and put them into another folder so that I have one set for emailing and one set in case I want to print it out.

Hauxfan!

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Regarding system drivers:

1. Pop the case open and look for the model of motherboard installed, write it down, then go to that manufacturer's site and download and burn a CD of all of its video (if it is on-board), auio, LAN, modem (if used), etc. LAN is important so you can get onto the Internet to find others if needed; such as printer, etc.

If you have an installed Video card, i.e., NVidia, GeForce, ATI, etc, you will want to look at that card for its model and then go to their site and download those drivers as well.

XP Pro does a pretty good job os seeing drivers, but not all of them all of the time.

I boot systems with an old Windows ME diskette, if the system has a 3½" floppy, and do an FDISK, and remove the partition, logical, extended, etc. If no floppy, then make a bootable CD (go to ALLBOOTDISKS.COM for instructions.

Then I tell the BIO to boot from the CD, install the XP CD (not an upgrade) and let it do its NTFS thing.

Whiz

I may have forgotton something so feel free to email me if you need additional help

19. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks Whiz.

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

There was an article in PC World that told how to make Vista look and act like XP, if I remember correct. You might go to their web site and do a search for the article.R.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.