1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Honeysuckle Vines

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Mike G, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

My wife brought home three honeysuckle vines from the nursery today to plant along lattice panels on our patio. A neighbor told me that these plants are a curse and I would regret ever planting them, just curious if anyone has had any experience with these plants and what your thoughts are.

Mike

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Make sure you have a very well built lattice panels. If you don't, it'll pull it down.

I don't think I'd want it next to my house, but I have a fence row that is just covered with it. The evening air is just sweet with the smell during the summer. I like it, almost as much as the bees do.

ss

3. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Many states have an eraditcation programs for honeysuckle

http://www.ipaw.org/invaders/honeysuckle/Honeysuckle.pdf

4. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Actually honey bees dont work honey suckles.. their "tongue" isnt long enough to reach the nectar.. the honey suckle vine is pretty and has really nice sweet smell when the flowers bloom... I cant wait to smell them..

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Check out your state's land grant college's extension website for Ohio it is ohioline.osu.edu tons of info on invasive Honesuckle and others. trouble is nuseries just don't care and spread these things arond the country. Bill

6. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

It's ok if you can keep it in control. I can't keep it under control by mowing or trimming. have it for about 3 years, round-up it, clean up the mess and start over.

Bob

7. porky

porky TS Member

Honey suckle will grow beyond the lattice and attach itself to your house. Best to keep it away from the house because any crack or opening will have the vine grow into and attach itself. You will habe to scape or sand the areas that it has attached and repaint.

8. Mike G

Mike G Member

The vines we have are promoted or advertised actually as "Trumpet Vines" so I am guessing they are the Trumpet Honeysuckle variety. Thanks.

mIke

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

If you ever see lots of vine like stuff growing on woven wire fences or along fence rows, that is honeysuckle and it is way to prolific for me to like.

John E.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have two on fences. They smell great, but must be cut back a couple times a year. I just use a hedge trimmer and give the vines a light cut. It keeps them in check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.