1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Holographic sights

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tugboat, Jun 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Want to put one of these on my .223 for max ranges of about 150 yards.. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance...

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, the Bushnell Holosight or the EOTech milspec version. The two are basically the same, except the EOTech is waterproof, down to 10 meters or more with some models, and it has an armored hood.<br>
    <br>
    I have an EOTech 552, which is a bit of overkill now that the new hunting regs ban night vision goggles (it has setting suitable for use with night vision). This particular model uses two AA batteries instead of the more expensive and sometimes hard to find N cells. Mine also has an engraved "F" on the side of the armored shield, which signifies that it has enhanced electronics that draw less battery power, running up to 1000 hours (no typo - 1000 hours) and has a wider range of dim to bright settings.<br>
    <br>
    This is a true parallex free scope. It "projects" the image onto the target, so they are in the same plane. If dirt or rain gets in the way you just shift your view and the scope remains aligned on target.<br>
    <br>
    Most of these have a 65 MOA circle with a 1 MOA dot in the center. The circle has four small posts sticking out for alignment. It's a fairly busy pattern, and may take a little getting used to.<br>
    <br>
    On the 552 the brightness can be cranked up to the point where it's actually useful in snow or light desert at high noon. It can be turned down very low for night use.<br>
    <br>
    Drawbacks. It's a tall sight, and almost demands a monte carlo stock to get a cheeckweld, unless you're using a flat top AR15. If you are using a flat top AR15, you might want to consider folding front and rear iron sights and cowitness them with the EOTech. There are also mounts that fit the standard AR15 carry handle, then drop down to place the EOTech or Bushnell low over the handguard. Some can be cowitnessed with the stock factory sights. (Cowitness means the alignment of the optical sight and the iron sights match.)<br>
    <br>
    I also don't care for the single clamping screw. It works, but it should have had a pair of them. It needs to be anchored well with only one screw.<br>
    <br>
    Range - It's advertised as being suitable for 300 meter targets. Take that with a grain so salt - they mean a man sized target with the rifle "battle sighted", presumably at 200 or 250 yards. The 1 MOA dot is useful for coyotes, but as distance increases, the dot starts obscuring the target. A 1 MOA dot covers slightly more than an inch at 100 yards, and slightly more than 3" at 300 yards. Most people like to put the dot on the target, but it might be best to sight it in so the dot is just under the target at longer ranges (6 o'clock hold).<br>
    <br>
    EOTech now makes a magnifying unit that can fit on an AR15 flat top just between you and the EOTech. It's low magnification, and it can be flipped to the side. I've only seen a photo, so I won't comment further other than to say they are very expensive.<br>
    <br>
    An alternative... Leupold makes good quality traditional scopes with an illuminated crosshair. Some of these are in a useful power range for varminting. In my opinion, these are better for precision shooting than an EOTech or Holosight, and are far more flexible. The EOTech and Holosight are definitely limited for range for varminting. My EOTech is on a heavy barreled AR15 flat top right now, and it's useful for coyoting under low light conditions. But for open daylight, I'm pretty well convinced a traditional scope is the way to go. For 150 yards, as you specified, the EOTech or Holosight will work fine.

3. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

tugboat, I have added a URL for you to visit and while you are there check out all the info on the RX01NSN sight.

If that was not what you wanted then take a look at: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=13

Both are great sights, small, compact and light weight, just a few of the traits that do not apply to the Holosight.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind that the sights which project a dot onto a display are not hologrpahic sights. They will have parallex. This isn't to say they aren't useful. In fact, some a pretty dang nice, like the Trijicon reflex sight. But these require a good, repeatable cheek weld for accuracy.<br>
    <br>
    If money is no object, one of the best is the Trijicon ACOG. It's actually a specialized scope. It's awkward on anything other than an AR15 with a carry handle or flat top. It would require a high comb. Get out your wallet.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Brian has covered it pretty well.

I use the same EoTech sight and like it a lot. Not cheap but you will not want/need to buy another one later.

Don

PS Mine is mounted on an AR15 with fold down iron sights as suggested by Brian. I never use the iron sights but it is nice to know they are there if needed.

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Thanks to all..TB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.